Re-installing Vista Ultimate

Thomas

Re-installing Vista Ultimate
I recently replaced my motherboard and now want to re-install Ultimate.Can i
install over the existing ultimate from within windows and two ,will i have
to re-install all my other applications and data?

Regards

Thomas
Dwarf

RE: Re-installing Vista Ultimate
Hi Thomas,

Yes, you should be able to do a repair install over your existing
installation. However, I recommend that you do things differently. A new
motherboard means different hardware which in turn means different driver
requirements compared to your original installation. If you able to boot up
into Vista then back up all of your data to removeable media and check that
it has been successfully backed up. Next, perform a clean install of Vista.
This will ensure that potential hardware problems between the old and new
motherboards are eliminated. With this method, you will have to reinstall
your applications and restore your data from the back ups. Note that if you
cannot boot up into Vista prior to carrying out the procedure detailed in
this post, then you will need to reinstall Vista, however, in this case, you
will lose your data. For safety reasons, your data should be backed up BEFORE
you change motherboards in case of un foreseen problems.
Dwarf

"Thomas" wrote:

> I recently replaced my motherboard and now want to re-install Ultimate.Can i
> install over the existing ultimate from within windows and two ,will i have
> to re-install all my other applications and data?
>
> Regards
>
> Thomas

Thomas

RE: Re-installing Vista Ultimate
Thank you i will do as you suggest and post a reply when done.
Regards

Thomas

"Dwarf" wrote:

> Hi Thomas,
>
> Yes, you should be able to do a repair install over your existing
> installation. However, I recommend that you do things differently. A new
> motherboard means different hardware which in turn means different driver
> requirements compared to your original installation. If you able to boot up
> into Vista then back up all of your data to removeable media and check that
> it has been successfully backed up. Next, perform a clean install of Vista.
> This will ensure that potential hardware problems between the old and new
> motherboards are eliminated. With this method, you will have to reinstall
> your applications and restore your data from the back ups. Note that if you
> cannot boot up into Vista prior to carrying out the procedure detailed in
> this post, then you will need to reinstall Vista, however, in this case, you
> will lose your data. For safety reasons, your data should be backed up BEFORE
> you change motherboards in case of un foreseen problems.
> Dwarf
>
> "Thomas" wrote:
>
> > I recently replaced my motherboard and now want to re-install Ultimate.Can i
> > install over the existing ultimate from within windows and two ,will i have
> > to re-install all my other applications and data?
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Thomas

Thomas

RE: Re-installing Vista Ultimate
Hi Dwarf Thanks for the advice it worked perfectly.My system is running
smoothly with increased performance.Many thanks.

Thomas