install both XP and Vista

Dead Duck McQuirk

install both XP and Vista
My previous setup was XP on drive C and Vista on drive D.
Drive C has failed and been replaced, XP loaded.
Vista is no longer available.
Drive D files are intact but I do not know how to load Vista on that drive
without wiping out the existing files.
Looking for the brains I don't have...

Rick Rogers

Re: install both XP and Vista
Hi,

I'm assuming D: is a separate physical drive, not just another volume on the
same drive. When you replaced C: and reloaded XP, you lost Vista's
bootloader (even though the system files are on D:, the boot files would
have been on the root of the active volume). Boot the system with the Vista
DVD in place like you were going to install, and run a startup repair at the
setup screen.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Dead Duck McQuirk" <Dead Duck McQuirk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:55C3D60D-AD5D-4197-A9EE-3465782D4E67@microsoft.com...
> My previous setup was XP on drive C and Vista on drive D.
> Drive C has failed and been replaced, XP loaded.
> Vista is no longer available.
> Drive D files are intact but I do not know how to load Vista on that drive
> without wiping out the existing files.
> Looking for the brains I don't have...

Dead Duck McQuirk

Re: install both XP and Vista
This was helpful information, but when I went to use it I could not remember
how to get there: F1? F8?

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm assuming D: is a separate physical drive, not just another volume on the
> same drive. When you replaced C: and reloaded XP, you lost Vista's
> bootloader (even though the system files are on D:, the boot files would
> have been on the root of the active volume). Boot the system with the Vista
> DVD in place like you were going to install, and run a startup repair at the
> setup screen.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Dead Duck McQuirk" <Dead Duck McQuirk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:55C3D60D-AD5D-4197-A9EE-3465782D4E67@microsoft.com...
> > My previous setup was XP on drive C and Vista on drive D.
> > Drive C has failed and been replaced, XP loaded.
> > Vista is no longer available.
> > Drive D files are intact but I do not know how to load Vista on that drive
> > without wiping out the existing files.
> > Looking for the brains I don't have...

...winston

Re: install both XP and Vista
Neither..
Boot with the DVD
Enter Language(and time settings etc)
Click Repair

Other options that may work to install(or force install) the bootloader onto the XP drive(the original location Vista places it when
Vista is installed second in a dual boot system). Both are free and can be run from XP.
VistaBoot Pro 3.x
Easy BCD

Though if dualbooting is a long term plan...consider a more thorough fee based application like BootItNG(BING)

--
...winston
ms-mvp windows live mail

> This was helpful information, but when I went to use it I could not remember
> how to get there: F1? F8?
>
> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm assuming D: is a separate physical drive, not just another volume on the
>> same drive. When you replaced C: and reloaded XP, you lost Vista's
>> bootloader (even though the system files are on D:, the boot files would
>> have been on the root of the active volume). Boot the system with the Vista
>> DVD in place like you were going to install, and run a startup repair at the
>> setup screen.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Dead Duck McQuirk" <Dead Duck McQuirk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message news:55C3D60D-AD5D-4197-A9EE-3465782D4E67@microsoft.com...
>> > My previous setup was XP on drive C and Vista on drive D.
>> > Drive C has failed and been replaced, XP loaded.
>> > Vista is no longer available.
>> > Drive D files are intact but I do not know how to load Vista on that drive
>> > without wiping out the existing files.
>> > Looking for the brains I don't have...

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

Re: install both XP and Vista

> Though if dualbooting is a long term plan...consider a more thorough
> fee based application like BootItNG(BING)

Or consider a removable IDE drive bay, two hard drives and caddys.

Forget about the conflict nonsense.

DM

...winston

Re: install both XP and Vista
A very workable solution which I've used in the past since Win95...though it wouldn't quite qualify as 'dual booting'

--
...winston
ms-mvp windows live mail