Product key?

=?Utf-8?B?U3RlaW5pZQ==?=

Product key?
I purchased an HP Pavilion dv6000 notebook about 10 days ago.

I was not impressed with Vista (half my apps wouldn't work!), so I deleted
the OS and inadvertently also deleted the Vista restore partition, without
having made backup disks!! Yeah, I know: I am an idiot!

Anyway, I installed XP, but found that there were many device drivers
missing, so I downloaded whatever drivers HP had available on their website.
But, this was still not enough, so I decided to give Vista another chance.

I got the salesman at the computer shop to make a set of backup DVD's from
their demo model. The restore procedure went off without a hitch.

I now notice that the Product key on the machine differs from the one on the
Windows sticker.

Does this mean that the "new" key belongs to the demo model? At no stage
during the restore process was I requested to enter the Product Key.

There is a facility in Vista to change the product key. If I enter the
original key there, what would the ramifications be?

TIA!

BigJim

Re: Product key?
is vista activated with the new key is so let it be.
you can always change the key
"Steinie" <Steinie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I purchased an HP Pavilion dv6000 notebook about 10 days ago.
>
> I was not impressed with Vista (half my apps wouldn't work!), so I deleted
> the OS and inadvertently also deleted the Vista restore partition, without
> having made backup disks!! Yeah, I know: I am an idiot!
>
> Anyway, I installed XP, but found that there were many device drivers
> missing, so I downloaded whatever drivers HP had available on their
> website.
> But, this was still not enough, so I decided to give Vista another chance.
>
> I got the salesman at the computer shop to make a set of backup DVD's from
> their demo model. The restore procedure went off without a hitch.
>
> I now notice that the Product key on the machine differs from the one on
> the
> Windows sticker.
>
> Does this mean that the "new" key belongs to the demo model? At no stage
> during the restore process was I requested to enter the Product Key.
>
> There is a facility in Vista to change the product key. If I enter the
> original key there, what would the ramifications be?
>
> TIA!

Bytesback

Re: Product key?

Theres Nothing wrong here. Odd, but not wrong.

When the likes of HP install their machine they use a volume liscense.
They effectively create one machine, install vista using this liscense
key, drivers, software etc and then they activate Vista. After that
they then clone that hard drive to ump**** thousand others.

So you have an activated vista with their volume license key. If you
got hold of a copy of the Vista oem DVD and installed from scratch you
will find that the liscense sticker on your machine would then activate
as normal.

--
Bytesback
=?Utf-8?B?U3RlaW5pZQ==?=

Re: Product key?

Thanks to both of you for the responses. I guess I'll just let it be for
now.

David B.

Re: Product key?
If you had looked before you wiped it, you would have noticed that the keys
didn't match then either.

--

----
http://www.db-pc.com