Can't remove windows/old file

=?Utf-8?B?eGlvd2Fu?=

Can't remove windows/old file
Hi All:
I recently built a new computer and to prepare for Vista I used the trial
DVD of Vista Ultimate for a while to make sure I purchased suitable hardware.
After testing the pc, I purchased the full retail version of Home Premium
and installed it as a clean install on the hard drive that had the trial
version of Vista on it. I thot I saw the install wizard format the drive but
now that I have Vista up and running, I see a file on my (C drive
containing "windows/old". I have read in the newsgroups that you can just
delete the file after the new operating system is working ok and tried to
delete "window/old". I am the only user of the computer and operate it as
administrator but when I try to delete that file I get: Destination Folder
Access Denied. You need permission for this action. It offers "try again" or
"cancel" and try again produces the same message. I thot maybe it was a
problem with the size of the file fitting in the re-cycle bin so I changed
the properties on that to allow direct deletion of files. No Go! I then
tried deleting some of the 46,000+ files individually but that doesn't work
on hardly any of the files. This file is about 10 GB's and that partition is
only 70 GB's and I would really like to get rid of it. Any suggestions?

xiowan........in tucson
=?Utf-8?B?eGlvd2Fu?=

RE: Can't remove windows/old file
Hi All:
After posting my query, I did find a solution from Koze: "The fastest
and best way to do so is to run disk clean select the option for all users
and away it is.
But be carefull make sure you have everything out of it you want to save at
forehand!. Ko". I tried that and it worked great! I also was able to
remove hundreds of megabytes of other un-needed files. Great tool! I want
to thank him and all the others who provide help for our computer problems.

xiowan.........in tucson

"xiowan" wrote:

> Hi All:
> I recently built a new computer and to prepare for Vista I used the trial
> DVD of Vista Ultimate for a while to make sure I purchased suitable hardware.
> After testing the pc, I purchased the full retail version of Home Premium
> and installed it as a clean install on the hard drive that had the trial
> version of Vista on it. I thot I saw the install wizard format the drive but
> now that I have Vista up and running, I see a file on my (C drive
> containing "windows/old". I have read in the newsgroups that you can just
> delete the file after the new operating system is working ok and tried to
> delete "window/old". I am the only user of the computer and operate it as
> administrator but when I try to delete that file I get: Destination Folder
> Access Denied. You need permission for this action. It offers "try again" or
> "cancel" and try again produces the same message. I thot maybe it was a
> problem with the size of the file fitting in the re-cycle bin so I changed
> the properties on that to allow direct deletion of files. No Go! I then
> tried deleting some of the 46,000+ files individually but that doesn't work
> on hardly any of the files. This file is about 10 GB's and that partition is
> only 70 GB's and I would really like to get rid of it. Any suggestions?
>
> xiowan........in tucson

Dustin Harper

Re: Can't remove windows/old file
Have to run it as admin.

Here's another way that should get rid of it for you:
http://www.vistarip.com/e107_plugins....php?0.cat.2.6

Basically, it says to use the disk cleanup utility. ( Start | All Programs |
Accessories | System Tools | Disk Cleanup )

--
Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com

--
"xiowan" <xiowan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi All:
> I recently built a new computer and to prepare for Vista I used the
> trial
> DVD of Vista Ultimate for a while to make sure I purchased suitable
> hardware.
> After testing the pc, I purchased the full retail version of Home Premium
> and installed it as a clean install on the hard drive that had the trial
> version of Vista on it. I thot I saw the install wizard format the drive
> but
> now that I have Vista up and running, I see a file on my (C drive
> containing "windows/old". I have read in the newsgroups that you can just
> delete the file after the new operating system is working ok and tried to
> delete "window/old". I am the only user of the computer and operate it as
> administrator but when I try to delete that file I get: Destination Folder
> Access Denied. You need permission for this action. It offers "try again"
> or
> "cancel" and try again produces the same message. I thot maybe it was a
> problem with the size of the file fitting in the re-cycle bin so I changed
> the properties on that to allow direct deletion of files. No Go! I then
> tried deleting some of the 46,000+ files individually but that doesn't
> work
> on hardly any of the files. This file is about 10 GB's and that partition
> is
> only 70 GB's and I would really like to get rid of it. Any suggestions?
>
> xiowan........in tucson

=?Utf-8?B?eGlvd2Fu?=

Re: Can't remove windows/old file
Hi Dustin:
"Have to run it as admin." I expect to see Vista require that before I
can play Titan Chess if I don't throw a game once in a while! Thanks for the
vistarip tip!

xiowan........in tucson