MVP's - FAQ - A Suggestion

BobS

MVP's - FAQ - A Suggestion
Now I'm addressing this to mainly the MVP's because other than a select few,
they are the most prominent and most active contributors in this and other
related newsgroups. I might add that they're also doing an outstanding job.

Now that you've had time to see the "typical" questions being asked and the
"typical" answer that really does answer the question, would it not be a
wise decision to make up a FAQ (or several) that could be posted every few
days that would answer a majority of the questions?

A typical question followed by a short answer that refers to a MS link (or
other link) where the answers or thread are archived. A quick cut 'n paste
of question and answers from selected posts and references to KB articles
for the typical or not so typical questions that you feel you're constantly
answering.

I would suggest a collaboration amongst the MVP's would most likely yield
"The mother of all FAQ's on Vista". It would be a worthwhile effort
considering that Vista questions will outlast any and all of you. I dare say
burn-out will take it's toll long before this ng turns to dust.....

I'm more than willing to contribute by sorting through the archives and
finding questions/answers that "may" be relevant and pass them along to
whoever for inclusion in one of the FAQ's. I dare say a major portion of
the questions could be answered in this manner and save your mentoring
skills for the more technical and tougher questions - you know, the ones
they pay you the big bucks for to answer.......

A thought for you MVP's or anyone else that may have some time to devote to
this.

Bob S.

Richard Urban

Re: MVP's - FAQ - A Suggestion
The problem is that it can get quite large and we have to be aware of out
friends who are still on dial-up. Bringing this in to their computers will
be a task, and some people pay by the minute for connect time.

I tried doing this a few years ago. I believe others have also tried doing
this. There wasn't a very good reception.

If there is enough support for this I would be glad to maintain it, with
input from those who can help.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban MVP
Microsoft Windows Shell/User

"BobS" <no-spam@noplace.com> wrote in message
> Now I'm addressing this to mainly the MVP's because other than a select
> few, they are the most prominent and most active contributors in this and
> other related newsgroups. I might add that they're also doing an
> outstanding job.
>
> Now that you've had time to see the "typical" questions being asked and
> the "typical" answer that really does answer the question, would it not be
> a wise decision to make up a FAQ (or several) that could be posted every
> few days that would answer a majority of the questions?
>
> A typical question followed by a short answer that refers to a MS link (or
> other link) where the answers or thread are archived. A quick cut 'n
> paste of question and answers from selected posts and references to KB
> articles for the typical or not so typical questions that you feel you're
> constantly answering.
>
> I would suggest a collaboration amongst the MVP's would most likely yield
> "The mother of all FAQ's on Vista". It would be a worthwhile effort
> considering that Vista questions will outlast any and all of you. I dare
> say burn-out will take it's toll long before this ng turns to dust.....
>
> I'm more than willing to contribute by sorting through the archives and
> finding questions/answers that "may" be relevant and pass them along to
> whoever for inclusion in one of the FAQ's. I dare say a major portion of
> the questions could be answered in this manner and save your mentoring
> skills for the more technical and tougher questions - you know, the ones
> they pay you the big bucks for to answer.......
>
> A thought for you MVP's or anyone else that may have some time to devote
> to this.
>
> Bob S.

John Inzer

Re: MVP's - FAQ - A Suggestion
BobS wrote:
> Now I'm addressing this to mainly the MVP's because other than a
> select few, they are the most prominent and most active contributors
> in this and other related newsgroups. I might add that they're also
> doing an outstanding job.
> Now that you've had time to see the "typical" questions being asked
> and the "typical" answer that really does answer the question, would
> it not be a wise decision to make up a FAQ (or several) that could be
> posted every few days that would answer a majority of the questions?
>
> A typical question followed by a short answer that refers to a MS
> link (or other link) where the answers or thread are archived. A
> quick cut 'n paste of question and answers from selected posts and
> references to KB articles for the typical or not so typical questions
> that you feel you're constantly answering.
>
> I would suggest a collaboration amongst the MVP's would most likely
> yield "The mother of all FAQ's on Vista". It would be a worthwhile
> effort considering that Vista questions will outlast any and all of
> you. I dare say burn-out will take it's toll long before this ng
> turns to dust.....
> I'm more than willing to contribute by sorting through the archives
> and finding questions/answers that "may" be relevant and pass them
> along to whoever for inclusion in one of the FAQ's. I dare say a
> major portion of the questions could be answered in this manner and
> save your mentoring skills for the more technical and tougher
> questions - you know, the ones they pay you the big bucks for to
> answer.......
> A thought for you MVP's or anyone else that may have some time to
> devote to this.
>
> Bob S.

================================

Vista Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's):
http://vistasupport.mvps.org/vista_faq.htm

JB's Windows Vista Support FAQ
http://www.jimmah.com/vista/

Vista Frequently Asked Questions
http://www.vistahelp.ca/faq/faq.htm

Movie Maker - PhotoStory
http://www.papajohn.org/
(Choose Vista in the Left Pane)

Windows Vista Developer FAQ
http://tinyurl.com/ypsmgs

--
John Inzer
MS Picture It! -

Digital Image
Highlights and FAQs
http://tinyurl.com/aczzp

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

Dustin Harper

Re: MVP's - FAQ - A Suggestion
I'm in. I can help out in any way I can.

--
Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com

--
"BobS" <no-spam@noplace.com> wrote in message
> Now I'm addressing this to mainly the MVP's because other than a select
> few, they are the most prominent and most active contributors in this and
> other related newsgroups. I might add that they're also doing an
> outstanding job.
>
> Now that you've had time to see the "typical" questions being asked and
> the "typical" answer that really does answer the question, would it not be
> a wise decision to make up a FAQ (or several) that could be posted every
> few days that would answer a majority of the questions?
>
> A typical question followed by a short answer that refers to a MS link (or
> other link) where the answers or thread are archived. A quick cut 'n
> paste of question and answers from selected posts and references to KB
> articles for the typical or not so typical questions that you feel you're
> constantly answering.
>
> I would suggest a collaboration amongst the MVP's would most likely yield
> "The mother of all FAQ's on Vista". It would be a worthwhile effort
> considering that Vista questions will outlast any and all of you. I dare
> say burn-out will take it's toll long before this ng turns to dust.....
>
> I'm more than willing to contribute by sorting through the archives and
> finding questions/answers that "may" be relevant and pass them along to
> whoever for inclusion in one of the FAQ's. I dare say a major portion of
> the questions could be answered in this manner and save your mentoring
> skills for the more technical and tougher questions - you know, the ones
> they pay you the big bucks for to answer.......
>
> A thought for you MVP's or anyone else that may have some time to devote
> to this.
>
> Bob S.

Richard Urban

Re: MVP's - FAQ - A Suggestion
There is another major problem.

Look at all the posts here. Many/most MVP's do. A person will post the exact
same question that was posted only ten minutes previously and 5 posts down
from his/hers. All they want to do is get a personal answer, thinking that
their version of the same problem is somehow unique.

Actually, I am being kind. They really don't even read what has been written
previously - though it may be on the first page of posts when using the CDO
(web) interface.

The news groups are not setup where a post can be left continually in the
top/first position where these people are likely to see it.

--

> The problem is that it can get quite large and we have to be aware of out
> friends who are still on dial-up. Bringing this in to their computers will
> be a task, and some people pay by the minute for connect time.
>
> I tried doing this a few years ago. I believe others have also tried doing
> this. There wasn't a very good reception.
>
> If there is enough support for this I would be glad to maintain it, with
> input from those who can help.
>

> --
>

> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban MVP
> Microsoft Windows Shell/User
>

> "BobS" <no-spam@noplace.com> wrote in message
>> Now I'm addressing this to mainly the MVP's because other than a select
>> few, they are the most prominent and most active contributors in this and
>> other related newsgroups. I might add that they're also doing an
>> outstanding job.
>>
>> Now that you've had time to see the "typical" questions being asked and
>> the "typical" answer that really does answer the question, would it not
>> be a wise decision to make up a FAQ (or several) that could be posted
>> every few days that would answer a majority of the questions?
>>
>> A typical question followed by a short answer that refers to a MS link
>> (or other link) where the answers or thread are archived. A quick cut 'n
>> paste of question and answers from selected posts and references to KB
>> articles for the typical or not so typical questions that you feel you're
>> constantly answering.
>>
>> I would suggest a collaboration amongst the MVP's would most likely yield
>> "The mother of all FAQ's on Vista". It would be a worthwhile effort
>> considering that Vista questions will outlast any and all of you. I dare
>> say burn-out will take it's toll long before this ng turns to dust.....
>>
>> I'm more than willing to contribute by sorting through the archives and
>> finding questions/answers that "may" be relevant and pass them along to
>> whoever for inclusion in one of the FAQ's. I dare say a major portion of
>> the questions could be answered in this manner and save your mentoring
>> skills for the more technical and tougher questions - you know, the ones
>> they pay you the big bucks for to answer.......
>>
>> A thought for you MVP's or anyone else that may have some time to devote
>> to this.
>>
>> Bob S.

Dustin Harper

Re: MVP's - FAQ - A Suggestion
Very, very true. Even if a FAQ was posted daily, it could be on the same
page two posts up, and it wouldn't be read.

Maybe a suggestion for Microsoft in the next edition of Windows Mail (or
even an RFC for USENET): an option to have a FAQ available to read while
subscribing to the group.

Or on the MS site where a lot of people are reading these groups.

--
Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com

> [...]
>>> you're constantly answering.
>>>
>>> I would suggest a collaboration amongst the MVP's would most likely
>>> yield "The mother of all FAQ's on Vista". It would be a worthwhile
>>> effort considering that Vista questions will outlast any and all of you.
>>> I dare say burn-out will take it's toll long before this ng turns to
>>> dust.....
>>>
>>> I'm more than willing to contribute by sorting through the archives and
>>> finding questions/answers that "may" be relevant and pass them along to
>>> whoever for inclusion in one of the FAQ's. I dare say a major portion
>>> of the questions could be answered in this manner and save your
>>> mentoring skills for the more technical and tougher questions - you
>>> know, the ones they pay you the big bucks for to answer.......
>>>
>>> A thought for you MVP's or anyone else that may have some time to devote

Adam Albright

Re: MVP's - FAQ - A Suggestion
On Thu, 8 Mar 2007 22:05:08 -0500, "BobS" <no-spam@noplace.com> wrote:

>Now I'm addressing this to mainly the MVP's because other than a select few,
>they are the most prominent and most active contributors in this and other
>related newsgroups. I might add that they're also doing an outstanding job.

Having been one of the principle authors of one of the largest HTML
FAQ's on the Web over a decade ago that generated in excess of a
million hits I speak from experience. Trying to get a comprehensive
FAQ up and running is a thankless job. If done right takes many months
just to get started, will cause endless squables between contributors
deciding on the "right" answers, such squable likely will spill over
into the newsgroups, even the right way to phrase questions will get
hotly debated if you go beyond just scratching the surface with just a
handful of trivial questions and answers.

My project had hundreds of Q-A's and you know the kind of detailed
answers I give. ;-). To be of any use it also will require constant
updating and verification that the information is both accurate and
current. That too will cause endless strive. For something that's a
moving target like a just released operating system that comes in
multiple versions and had near endless combinations of hardware
supported, you better know up front what a HUGE project (if done
right) you embarking on.

After all that, the same endless flood of newbies will go right on
asking the same questions for the thousandth time right in the
newsgroup. Then there will the net cops that tirelessly tell people to
"go read the FAQ" just like some MVP recently kept nagging here "your
posting to the wrong group" and stuff like that, so expect the noise
level here to increase, not decrease.

Not trying to throw nothing but cold water on the idea, just letting
you know what you're in for. No, sorry, I'm not interested in
contributing, too much on my plate right now, but you made a major
mistake hinting you are only interested in hearing from MVP and a "few
others" that post here a lot. You have effectively slammed the door in
the face of people that may have jumped at the chance to be part of a
large community project and you never know what substational help may
come from, that now, unless you do an immediate about face and open
the door WIDE and encourage anyone interested to respond will instead
feel insulted. I guess public relations isn't your strong suit.

Kerry Brown

Re: MVP's - FAQ - A Suggestion
"Adam Albright" <AA@ABC.net> wrote in message
> On Thu, 8 Mar 2007 22:05:08 -0500, "BobS" <no-spam@noplace.com> wrote:

> Not trying to throw nothing but cold water on the idea, just letting
> you know what you're in for. No, sorry, I'm not interested in
> contributing, too much on my plate right now, but you made a major
> mistake hinting you are only interested in hearing from MVP and a "few
> others" that post here a lot. You have effectively slammed the door in
> the face of people that may have jumped at the chance to be part of a
> large community project and you never know what substational help may
> come from, that now, unless you do an immediate about face and open
> the door WIDE and encourage anyone interested to respond will instead
> feel insulted. I guess public relations isn't your strong suit.

We agree on something!

There are many people besides MVPs who make valuable contributions. Casting
as wide a net as possible is always a good idea. Even though I like to think
I'm not biased I know that it is impossible. We all have bias' That's why I
put the fact that I'm an MVP in my sig, so that people will know where my
possible bias' may be. Only including MVPs or even having a majority of
contributors be MVPs will end up with a biased FAQ. It's human nature.

I also agree totally that it is an almost impossible task for something as
large as Vista. You would need too many people to do it. With more than a
few people it will get bogged down internally exactly as you point out.

It may be possible to run the newsgroup posts through some kind of analysis
and come with the top 20 questions or something like that and just answer
those questions. That wouldn't be too much to maintain and post every couple
of days.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

Adam Albright

Re: MVP's - FAQ - A Suggestion
On Thu, 8 Mar 2007 22:02:16 -0800, "Kerry Brown"
<kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-tems.c*a*m> wrote:

>"Adam Albright" <AA@ABC.net> wrote in message
>news:16o1v2tnt15jqmdpnv2il1vltie2dtfp5a@4ax.com.. .
>> On Thu, 8 Mar 2007 22:05:08 -0500, "BobS" <no-spam@noplace.com> wrote:

>> Not trying to throw nothing but cold water on the idea, just letting
>> you know what you're in for. No, sorry, I'm not interested in
>> contributing, too much on my plate right now, but you made a major
>> mistake hinting you are only interested in hearing from MVP and a "few
>> others" that post here a lot. You have effectively slammed the door in
>> the face of people that may have jumped at the chance to be part of a
>> large community project and you never know what substational help may
>> come from, that now, unless you do an immediate about face and open
>> the door WIDE and encourage anyone interested to respond will instead
>> feel insulted. I guess public relations isn't your strong suit.
>>

>We agree on something!

Cool! ;-)

Richard Urban

Re: MVP's - FAQ - A Suggestion
Yes. Some very good tips and hints have been posted by people not associated
with Microsoft in any way, except that they use Windows Vista.