Media Center Errors (or conflicts)

Mcfly

Media Center Errors (or conflicts)
I'm submitting this question on a number of boards because I have had - hmmm,
let me count, ZERO responses from anyone, sorry.

I have a x86 Vista Home Premium 32bit box with 4GB Ram, Nvidia chipset and
ATI Radeon video card and am trying to set up WMC for TV. I've installed an
AverMedia M780 internal combo PCIe card with the latest drivers (x.22). From
both the manufacturer and the thousands of users posting on the Green Button,
I know for a fact that this card is WMC compatible and (obviously) Vista
compatible.

When setting up WMC, I continue to get the dreaded "tuner card not
detected...." error, and subsequently get the "Windows Media Center Reciever
has Stopped Working" pop up after I've shut down WMC. I've tracked down two
(2) hot fix patches on the Microsoft's site for each error, installed both,
and there is no difference. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the card
physically and using H/W Mgr...no difference.

Interestingly, the AverMedia software I installed after encountering this
issue not only sees the card, but immediately allowed me to scan and then
watch both QAM and analog stations. I've posted this question on "the Green
Button" at least four times and noone seems able to provide a fix. I have
stumped AverMedia, as their answer is to back up the machine and reinstall
Windows from scratch. Not an option in my mind.

What the heck is wron g with WMC??? Ideas and solutions are welcomed.
Bryan Hughes

Re: Media Center Errors (or conflicts)
Change the amount RAM in your system from 4 GB to 3 GB. This is a known
Vista OS issue with memory. After I changed memory to 3 GB, everyting
worked correectly in MCE.

IF this does not work try changing video setting to overlay.

Also MCE does not work with QAM at this time. ATSC or PAL are your choices
depending on your location.

Bryan.

"Mcfly" <Mcfly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm submitting this question on a number of boards because I have had -
> hmmm,
> let me count, ZERO responses from anyone, sorry.
>
> I have a x86 Vista Home Premium 32bit box with 4GB Ram, Nvidia chipset and
> ATI Radeon video card and am trying to set up WMC for TV. I've installed
> an
> AverMedia M780 internal combo PCIe card with the latest drivers (x.22).
> From
> both the manufacturer and the thousands of users posting on the Green
> Button,
> I know for a fact that this card is WMC compatible and (obviously) Vista
> compatible.
>
> When setting up WMC, I continue to get the dreaded "tuner card not
> detected...." error, and subsequently get the "Windows Media Center
> Reciever
> has Stopped Working" pop up after I've shut down WMC. I've tracked down
> two
> (2) hot fix patches on the Microsoft's site for each error, installed
> both,
> and there is no difference. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the card
> physically and using H/W Mgr...no difference.
>
> Interestingly, the AverMedia software I installed after encountering this
> issue not only sees the card, but immediately allowed me to scan and then
> watch both QAM and analog stations. I've posted this question on "the
> Green
> Button" at least four times and noone seems able to provide a fix. I have
> stumped AverMedia, as their answer is to back up the machine and reinstall
> Windows from scratch. Not an option in my mind.
>
> What the heck is wron g with WMC??? Ideas and solutions are welcomed.

Bill Neidert

Re: Media Center Errors (or conflicts)
When will QAM be supported. When I read about the Vista Windows Media Center
it sounds like QAM is already supported but on my system it isn't or I don't
know how to configure it.

Bill Neidert