Upgrade to Vista Business from Vista Home Basic

cacruiser

Upgrade to Vista Business from Vista Home Basic
I have a new Toshiba laptop with Vista Home Basic pre-installed. I want to
upgrade to Vista Business. The system easily meets the min specs. Will I
have to track down drivers for this change or should Business have enough
included? I understand that at the least I will have to do a Clean Install.
Has anyone done this type of change?
Mick Murphy

RE: Upgrade to Vista Business from Vista Home Basic
Basic Home and Home Premium are not an upgrade path to Business.
You back up your data, delete the existing vista partition, format, and do a
compleate clean install

Before you do this, make sure that your laptop has at least 1Gig of RAM, and
128MBs of Graphics, and that is the bare minimum!

What are your system specs?
You don't get high-end hardware specs with Vista Basic.
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"cacruiser" wrote:

> I have a new Toshiba laptop with Vista Home Basic pre-installed. I want to
> upgrade to Vista Business. The system easily meets the min specs. Will I
> have to track down drivers for this change or should Business have enough
> included? I understand that at the least I will have to do a Clean Install.
> Has anyone done this type of change?

cacruiser

RE: Upgrade to Vista Business from Vista Home Basic
Mike,

Your response is great. I was pretty sure that was what was needed. The
specs on the laptop are:Operating System C1 2

Genuine Windows Vista® Home Basic (32-bit version)
Processor and Chipset3

Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core processor T2330
1.60GHz, 1 MB L2, 533MHz FSB

Mobile Intel® GL960 Express Chipset
Memory4

Configured with 1024MB PC5300 DDR2 SDRAM (both memory slots may be
occupied). Maximum capacity 2048MB
Hard Disk Drive5

120GB (5400 RPM); Serial ATA hard disk drive
Fixed Optical Disk Drive6

DVD SuperMulti (+/-R double layer) drive supporting 11 formats
Maximum speed and compatibility: CD-ROM (24x), CD-R (24x), CD-RW (16x),
DVD-ROM (8x), DVD-R (Single Layer, (8x)), DVD-R (Double Layer, (4x)), DVD-RW
(6x), DVD+R (Single Layer, (8x)), DVD+R (Double Layer, (4x)), DVD+RW (8x),
DVD-RAM (5x)
Display7

15.4” diagonal widescreen TruBrite®TFT LCD display at 1280x800 native
resolution (WXGA)
Native support for 720p content
Graphics8

Mobile Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 with 128MB-251MB dynamically
allocated shared graphics memory
NOT a high-end machine, but I am going to add another Gig of RAM before I do
the clean install.

Do you know if there will be any SATA drive issues? The windows
compatibility chart shows that the hard drive "Will work with Vista". Which
it certainly does with Home Basic.

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> Basic Home and Home Premium are not an upgrade path to Business.
> You back up your data, delete the existing vista partition, format, and do a
> compleate clean install
>
> Before you do this, make sure that your laptop has at least 1Gig of RAM, and
> 128MBs of Graphics, and that is the bare minimum!
>
> What are your system specs?
> You don't get high-end hardware specs with Vista Basic.
> --
> Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia
>

> "cacruiser" wrote:
>
> > I have a new Toshiba laptop with Vista Home Basic pre-installed. I want to
> > upgrade to Vista Business. The system easily meets the min specs. Will I
> > have to track down drivers for this change or should Business have enough
> > included? I understand that at the least I will have to do a Clean Install.
> > Has anyone done this type of change?

Mick Murphy

RE: Upgrade to Vista Business from Vista Home Basic
You have onboard(or shared) Graphics(not a seperate Graphics Card), which
means that if you allocate 128-256MBs to graphics, it comes out of your RAM,
that is out of the 1024MBs that you have now.

There is room on your MOBO to add another 1024Mbs RAM; so, for the above
reasons, definitely add it!

As you are installing you will be asked for SATA drivers; they should be on
your MOBO drivers disk, if you got one from Toshiba, or at toshiba site..
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"cacruiser" wrote:

> Mike,
>
> Your response is great. I was pretty sure that was what was needed. The
> specs on the laptop are:Operating System C1 2
> Genuine Windows Vista® Home Basic (32-bit version)
> Processor and Chipset3
> Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core processor T2330
> 1.60GHz, 1 MB L2, 533MHz FSB
> Mobile Intel® GL960 Express Chipset
> Memory4
> Configured with 1024MB PC5300 DDR2 SDRAM (both memory slots may be
> occupied). Maximum capacity 2048MB
> Hard Disk Drive5
> 120GB (5400 RPM); Serial ATA hard disk drive
> Fixed Optical Disk Drive6
> DVD SuperMulti (+/-R double layer) drive supporting 11 formats
> Maximum speed and compatibility: CD-ROM (24x), CD-R (24x), CD-RW (16x),
> DVD-ROM (8x), DVD-R (Single Layer, (8x)), DVD-R (Double Layer, (4x)), DVD-RW
> (6x), DVD+R (Single Layer, (8x)), DVD+R (Double Layer, (4x)), DVD+RW (8x),
> DVD-RAM (5x)
> Display7
> 15.4” diagonal widescreen TruBrite®TFT LCD display at 1280x800 native
> resolution (WXGA)
> Native support for 720p content
> Graphics8
> Mobile Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 with 128MB-251MB dynamically
> allocated shared graphics memory
> NOT a high-end machine, but I am going to add another Gig of RAM before I do
> the clean install.
>
> Do you know if there will be any SATA drive issues? The windows
> compatibility chart shows that the hard drive "Will work with Vista". Which
> it certainly does with Home Basic.
>
> "Mick Murphy" wrote:
>
> > Basic Home and Home Premium are not an upgrade path to Business.
> > You back up your data, delete the existing vista partition, format, and do a
> > compleate clean install
> >
> > Before you do this, make sure that your laptop has at least 1Gig of RAM, and
> > 128MBs of Graphics, and that is the bare minimum!
> >
> > What are your system specs?
> > You don't get high-end hardware specs with Vista Basic.
> > --
> > Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia
> >

> > "cacruiser" wrote:
> >
> > > I have a new Toshiba laptop with Vista Home Basic pre-installed. I want to
> > > upgrade to Vista Business. The system easily meets the min specs. Will I
> > > have to track down drivers for this change or should Business have enough
> > > included? I understand that at the least I will have to do a Clean Install.
> > > Has anyone done this type of change?

Homebusiness1

Re: Upgrade to Vista Business from Vista Home Basic

Can any tell the difference between Windows Vista and windows XP.Which
is user friendly software.

--
Homebusiness1
Homebusiness1's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/homebusiness1.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Bruce Chambers

Homebusiness1 wrote:
> Can any tell the difference between Windows Vista and windows XP.Which
> is user friendly software.

What's changed from Windows XP?
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...073611033.mspx

Compare Editions