Configuring Vista so that game controller prevents display blank /

Jeff Schmidt

Configuring Vista so that game controller prevents display blank /
I have my power settings configured ot turn off the monitor after 15 minutes
of inactivity. . . but the problem is, if I'm playing a game with my Logitech
USB Gamepad, Vista doesn't count the input from the gamepad as 'activity',
which is a little puzzling.

Is there a way to get Vista to recognize gamepad input as activity so that
it does not turn off my display in the middle of playing my game? I do
realize that I can change my power settings to just not turn off the display,
but that's inconvenient because then I have to change my settings back when
I'm done with the game. As far as I'm concerned, Vista is just not behaving
in a reasonable fashion if game controller input doesn't prevent screen
blanking.
Vincent

RE: Configuring Vista so that game controller prevents display blank /
Google has you on the top 4 search. What is the answer???? I have the same
problem. Super annoying. Fix me Microsoft.

"Jeff Schmidt" wrote:

> I have my power settings configured ot turn off the monitor after 15 minutes
> of inactivity. . . but the problem is, if I'm playing a game with my Logitech
> USB Gamepad, Vista doesn't count the input from the gamepad as 'activity',
> which is a little puzzling.
>
> Is there a way to get Vista to recognize gamepad input as activity so that
> it does not turn off my display in the middle of playing my game? I do
> realize that I can change my power settings to just not turn off the display,
> but that's inconvenient because then I have to change my settings back when
> I'm done with the game. As far as I'm concerned, Vista is just not behaving
> in a reasonable fashion if game controller input doesn't prevent screen
> blanking.

Kberna

"Jeff Schmidt" wrote:

> I have my power settings configured ot turn off the monitor after 15 minutes
> of inactivity. . . but the problem is, if I'm playing a game with my Logitech
> USB Gamepad, Vista doesn't count the input from the gamepad as 'activity',
> which is a little puzzling.
>
> Is there a way to get Vista to recognize gamepad input as activity so that
> it does not turn off my display in the middle of playing my game? I do
> realize that I can change my power settings to just not turn off the display,
> but that's inconvenient because then I have to change my settings back when
> I'm done with the game. As far as I'm concerned, Vista is just not behaving
> in a reasonable fashion if game controller input doesn't prevent screen
> blanking.

f/fgeorge

Re: Configuring Vista so that game controller prevents display blank /
On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 19:43:00 -0700, Kberna
<Kberna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>"Jeff Schmidt" wrote:
>
>> I have my power settings configured ot turn off the monitor after 15 minutes
>> of inactivity. . . but the problem is, if I'm playing a game with my Logitech
>> USB Gamepad, Vista doesn't count the input from the gamepad as 'activity',
>> which is a little puzzling.
>>
>> Is there a way to get Vista to recognize gamepad input as activity so that
>> it does not turn off my display in the middle of playing my game? I do
>> realize that I can change my power settings to just not turn off the display,
>> but that's inconvenient because then I have to change my settings back when
>> I'm done with the game. As far as I'm concerned, Vista is just not behaving
>> in a reasonable fashion if game controller input doesn't prevent screen
>> blanking.

Just blanking the screen is not saving you any money and your power
company LOVES you for doing that way. No there is not a way to do what
you want, the better, and money saving solution, is just to rest the
setting to stay on as long as you are in front of the monitor and then
use the power button when you get up. Now your power company may send
you a note asking you to use more power and thus pay them more of your
hard earned money, but tell them it is not their money!
Seriously, use the power button and save the cost of electricity that
the screen blanker does not. No turning off the monitor as you do does
not really turn it off, it must respond to input at a moments notice
so is kind of napping, not truly turned off. Thus it is using
electricity even when it is "turned off" as you do it.
tshack

Re: Configuring Vista so that game controller prevents display blank /

f/fgeorge,

I turn my display off when I get up from the computer as well.

However, there will be times when I simply *forget* to turn off the
monitor OR there will be times when I plan on only getting up for a few
minutes and end up being gone for extended periods of time (sometimes
hours).

Supposing that you are somehow correct in saying that the display uses
too much energy even when in Energy Star complaint power saving mode...
"blanking" the display is *turning off the backlight*, which *lengths
the life time of the display.* A backlight can only be on for so many
hours before it burns out; so I prefer to have my monitor turn off its
backlight automatically if I for some reason life happens and I forget
to do it manually.

Now, let's please try to stay on topic.

* I s t h e r e a s o l u t i o n t o t h e o r i g i n a l
p o s t e r ' s i s s u e ?

I s t h e r e a w a y c o u n t g a m e p a d i n p u t
a s a c t i v i t y s o t h a t W i n d o w s V i s t a d o
e s n o t b l a n k t h e d i s p l a y a u t o m a t i c a l
l y ? *

--
tshack
tshack's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/136579.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

John Galt

tshack <tshack.3yqqbc@DoNotSpam.com> wrote:

>* I s t h e r e a s o l u t i o n t o t h e o r i g i n a l
>p o s t e r ' s i s s u e ?

And WTF might that issue be, bozo? You apparently are replying to a
very old thread... one that's gone dead in most places.
tshack

Re: Configuring Vista so that game controller prevents display blank /

John,

Despite how old this thread is/was, it was the number one hit on Google
regarding the issue. I believe that that alone makes this URL fairly
relevant and likely to be found by others looking for a solution to the
same problem.

I genuinely apologize for inconveniencing you so severely.

It is more than apparent that I won't be finding any helpful
suggestions (or people) on this board.

--
tshack
tshack's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/136579.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-set...all/919917.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Tom Lake

Re: Configuring Vista so that game controller prevents display blank /
> John,
>
> Despite how old this thread is/was, it was the number one hit on Google
> regarding the issue. I believe that that alone makes this URL fairly
> relevant and likely to be found by others looking for a solution to the
> same problem.
>
> I genuinely apologize for inconveniencing you so severely.
>
> It is more than apparent that I won't be finding any helpful
> suggestions (or people) on this board.

If the gamepad connects via a USB port and your BIOS
can wake on USB activity, then yes, otherwise no.

Tom Lake