Move Vista to different partition

Steve Samson

Move Vista to different partition
I installed Vista in partition H: so I could dual-boot to XP Pro on C:. Now
I'm ready to dump XP and I'd like to move Vista to C:. Any ideas on how to do
this without losing anything?
philo

Re: Move Vista to different partition

"Steve Samson" <Steve Samson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I installed Vista in partition H: so I could dual-boot to XP Pro on C:.

Now
> I'm ready to dump XP and I'd like to move Vista to C:. Any ideas on how to

do
> this without losing anything?

You cannot change the letter to C:

Unless you go back and re-install to that drive.

However: it will not hurt anything to leave Vista on your H: drive

Mick Murphy

Re: Move Vista to different partition
Philo, why can't the poster back Vista up to an external hard drive using
Acronis; delete ALL partitions, formatt, restore from backup, run startup
repair, and it is done!

He is not trying to change Drive letters; he is trying to MOVE Vista to the
other partition from H: to C:
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

> Philo, why can't the poster back Vista up to an external hard drive using
> Acronis; delete ALL partitions, formatt, restore from backup, run startup
> repair, and it is done!
>
> He is not trying to change Drive letters; he is trying to MOVE Vista to

the
> other partition from H: to C:

All the apps that are installed reference the H: drive
so if the entire OS was cloned to a drive labeled C: there would be too
many problems

> Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia
>

> "philo" wrote:
>

> > "Steve Samson" <Steve Samson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I installed Vista in partition H: so I could dual-boot to XP Pro on

C:.
> > Now
> > > I'm ready to dump XP and I'd like to move Vista to C:. Any ideas on

how to
> > do
> > > this without losing anything?

> > You cannot change the letter to C:
> >
> > Unless you go back and re-install to that drive.
> >
> > However: it will not hurt anything to leave Vista on your H: drive

Stephen Petrowski

Re: Move Vista to different partition
philo,
Mike is trying to say is that Steve needs to backup all his data on the
external harddrive and delete all partitions formatt the harddrive with
windows vista dvd that is how it is done

"Stephen Petrowski" <bsa2002@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> philo,
> Mike is trying to say is that Steve needs to backup all his data on

the
> external harddrive and delete all partitions formatt the harddrive with
> windows vista dvd that is how it is done
> "philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote in message

I'd just leave the installation where it is...
but at best the OP could backup the data...
then perform a fresh install etc

> > "Mick Murphy" <MickMurphy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> Philo, why can't the poster back Vista up to an external hard drive

using
> >> Acronis; delete ALL partitions, formatt, restore from backup, run

startup
> >> repair, and it is done!
> >>
> >> He is not trying to change Drive letters; he is trying to MOVE Vista to

> > the
> >> other partition from H: to C:

> > All the apps that are installed reference the H: drive
> > so if the entire OS was cloned to a drive labeled C: there would be

too
> > many problems
> >

> >> Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

> > C:.

> > how to

Steve Samson

Re: Move Vista to different partition
So far, the answer seems to be "no". The reason I would like to move Vista to
the C: partition is that Vista insists on depositing various things on the C:
drive even though its home is on H:. That's why I can't simply wipe the C:
drive and go through about 20 hours of re-installation. What's already there
as put there by Vista would be wiped out.

news9783C07-0311-4424-8916-700C6E1959AF@microsoft.com...
> So far, the answer seems to be "no". The reason I would like to move Vista

> the C: partition is that Vista insists on depositing various things on the

C:
> drive even though its home is on H:. That's why I can't simply wipe the C:
> drive and go through about 20 hours of re-installation. What's already

there
> as put there by Vista would be wiped out.

Not sure why Vista "insists on deposting things on the C: drive"
when you create data, where you save it is *your* choice

> "philo" wrote:
>

> > "Stephen Petrowski" <bsa2002@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> > > philo,
> > > Mike is trying to say is that Steve needs to backup all his data

on
> > the
> > > external harddrive and delete all partitions formatt the harddrive

with
> > > windows vista dvd that is how it is done
> > > "philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote in message
> > > >

> > I'd just leave the installation where it is...
> > but at best the OP could backup the data...
> > then perform a fresh install etc

message

> > using

> > startup

Vista to

be
> > too

Pro on

ideas on

drive

Mac (Croatia)

"philo" wrote:
> "Steve Samson" <SteveSamson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news9783C07-0311-4424-8916-700C6E1959AF@microsoft.com...
> > So far, the answer seems to be "no". The reason I would like to move Vista
> > to the C: partition is that Vista insists on depositing various things on the C: drive even though its home is on H:. That's why I can't simply wipe the C:
> > drive and go through about 20 hours of re-installation. What's already
> >there as put there by Vista would be wiped out.

> Not sure why Vista "insists on deposting things on the C: drive"
> when you create data, where you save it is *your* choice

I have identical problem, Vista on partition E , partition C is empty, but
some programs during instalation even doesn't ask You, they are installed "
by default " on C partition .
Can I perform clean install of Vista on partition C (even if I have Vista
on partition E ) , and afterwards wipe out Vista from E ?

Mac

"
> by default " on C partition .
> Can I perform clean install of Vista on partition C (even if I have Vista
> on partition E ) , and afterwards wipe out Vista from E ?
>
> Mac

That's odd, most applications just install on whatever drive the OS is on...
but allow custom installations.

Yes, I see no reason why you could not reinstall to the C drive...
but I'm sure you'd have to re-activate

Just curious what applications are insisting on a C: drive install?