Hide XP partition to install Vista?

Peter Geddes

Hide XP partition to install Vista?
I'd like to dual boot between XP & Vista but I'm not sure if I need to hide
partitions or not.

XP is on a Primary partition and I will create another Primary partition for
Vista (on the same disk). Do I need to make the Vista partition active and
hide the XP partition before the install? I don't want Vista seeing the XP
partition and vice versa.

Does the Vista boot manager hide other primary partitions whilst active?

Thanks

--

All incoming & outgoing emails and files scanned by NOD32 Anti-Virus

~~GC~~

Re: Hide XP partition to install Vista?
No need to hide the xp partition,
install vista and after the final reboot you will be asked witch version,
xp or vista, you want to start up, easy .
Thats the way it workd on my pc.
succes

"Peter Geddes" <p.geddes@dsl.pipex.com> schreef in bericht
> I'd like to dual boot between XP & Vista but I'm not sure if I need to
> hide partitions or not.
>
> XP is on a Primary partition and I will create another Primary partition
> for Vista (on the same disk). Do I need to make the Vista partition
> active and hide the XP partition before the install? I don't want Vista
> seeing the XP partition and vice versa.
>
> Does the Vista boot manager hide other primary partitions whilst active?
>
> Thanks
>
> --
>
> All incoming & outgoing emails and files scanned by NOD32 Anti-Virus

Peter Geddes

Re: Hide XP partition to install Vista?
Will the XP partition be visible in Vista, i.e. get it it's own drive
letter? That's what I don't want!

Thanks for the reply.

"~~GC~~" <gclaessens@msn.com> wrote in message
> No need to hide the xp partition,
> install vista and after the final reboot you will be asked witch version,
> xp or vista, you want to start up, easy .
> Thats the way it workd on my pc.
> succes
>
> "Peter Geddes" <p.geddes@dsl.pipex.com> schreef in bericht
>> I'd like to dual boot between XP & Vista but I'm not sure if I need to
>> hide partitions or not.
>>
>> XP is on a Primary partition and I will create another Primary partition
>> for Vista (on the same disk). Do I need to make the Vista partition
>> active and hide the XP partition before the install? I don't want Vista
>> seeing the XP partition and vice versa.
>>
>> Does the Vista boot manager hide other primary partitions whilst active?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> --
>>
>> All incoming & outgoing emails and files scanned by NOD32 Anti-Virus

John Inzer

Peter Geddes wrote:
> Will the XP partition be visible in Vista, i.e. get it it's own drive
> letter? That's what I don't want!
>
> Thanks for the reply.

========================
Yes, the Vista partition can be
accessed from the XP partition.
On my system I can copy files from
one partition to the other.

As for drive letters...if you install
Vista by booting from the disk...
it will be installed on Drive C:.

I'm running a dual boot of Vista
Home Premium and XP Pro and
and each one is installed on Drive
C:.

The following links were useful to
me...maybe they will be worth a look:

You may need to reduce the size of
your Primary Active partition to create
some unallocated space.

I used Acronis Disk Director Suite 10
to accomplish this but there are other
options such as the app. mentioned
in the following article.

How to dual-boot Vista with XP -
step-by-step guide with screenshots
http://tinyurl.com/ysh8hy

Gnome Partition Editor
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

Once you have the unallocated space
available...you may need to enter your
BIOS and change the boot order so
you can boot from the Vista disk. From
that point just follow the onscreen
instructions.

The following links may be useful also:

Dual-Booting Vista and XP
http://www.windowstalk.org/dual_boot_vista.htm

Dual-Booting Vista and XP (Part 2)
http://www.windowstalk.org/dual_boot_part2.htm

VistaBootPRO
http://www.vistabootpro.org/index.php

--
John Inzer
MS Picture It! -

Digital Image
Highlights and FAQs
http://tinyurl.com/aczzp

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

John Inzer

Re: *More* Hide XP partition to install Vista?
BTW...when I boot to the Vista partition...
Vista is installed on Drive C:.

When I boot to the XP partition...Vista is
on Drive F:.

--
John Inzer
MS Picture It! -

Digital Image
Highlights and FAQs
http://tinyurl.com/aczzp

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk
==============================

> Peter Geddes wrote:
>> Will the XP partition be visible in Vista, i.e. get it it's own drive
>> letter? That's what I don't want!
>>
>> Thanks for the reply.

> ========================
> Yes, the Vista partition can be
> accessed from the XP partition.
> On my system I can copy files from
> one partition to the other.
>
> As for drive letters...if you install
> Vista by booting from the disk...
> it will be installed on Drive C:.
>
> I'm running a dual boot of Vista
> Home Premium and XP Pro and
> and each one is installed on Drive
> C:.
>
> The following links were useful to
> me...maybe they will be worth a look:
>
> You may need to reduce the size of
> your Primary Active partition to create
> some unallocated space.
>
> I used Acronis Disk Director Suite 10
> to accomplish this but there are other
> options such as the app. mentioned
> in the following article.
>
> How to dual-boot Vista with XP -
> step-by-step guide with screenshots
> http://tinyurl.com/ysh8hy
>
> Gnome Partition Editor
> http://gparted.sourceforge.net/
>
> Once you have the unallocated space
> available...you may need to enter your
> BIOS and change the boot order so
> you can boot from the Vista disk. From
> that point just follow the onscreen
> instructions.
>
> The following links may be useful also:
>
> Dual-Booting Vista and XP
> http://www.windowstalk.org/dual_boot_vista.htm
>
> Dual-Booting Vista and XP (Part 2)
> http://www.windowstalk.org/dual_boot_part2.htm
>
> VistaBootPRO
> http://www.vistabootpro.org/index.php

pete

Re: Hide XP partition to install Vista?
Then you will need to buy another drive.....disconnect the XP drive and
install Vista onto the new drive.Each time you start the system you will
have to decide which drive to use as the boot drive.
This is not a dual boot......seperate drives....seperate boots.You can do
this by entering the BIOS each time you start.
My Mobo BIOS allows me to press F12 to show a boot screen where I can decide
which HD to boot from...can yours??
This is also easier to change to Vista only boot once you decide thats what
you wish..or vice versa.
peter
"Peter Geddes" <p.geddes@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
> Will the XP partition be visible in Vista, i.e. get it it's own drive
> letter? That's what I don't want!
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> "~~GC~~" <gclaessens@msn.com> wrote in message
>> No need to hide the xp partition,
>> install vista and after the final reboot you will be asked witch
>> version, xp or vista, you want to start up, easy .
>> Thats the way it workd on my pc.
>> succes
>>
>> "Peter Geddes" <p.geddes@dsl.pipex.com> schreef in bericht
>>> I'd like to dual boot between XP & Vista but I'm not sure if I need to
>>> hide partitions or not.
>>>
>>> XP is on a Primary partition and I will create another Primary partition
>>> for Vista (on the same disk). Do I need to make the Vista partition
>>> active and hide the XP partition before the install? I don't want Vista
>>> seeing the XP partition and vice versa.
>>>
>>> Does the Vista boot manager hide other primary partitions whilst active?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> All incoming & outgoing emails and files scanned by NOD32 Anti-Virus

Peter Geddes

Re: Hide XP partition to install Vista?
Looks like I will have to change the drive letters in Vista.

Would a seperate Boot Manager do the trick?

Thanks for the replies.

"pete" <pete@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> Then you will need to buy another drive.....disconnect the XP drive and
> install Vista onto the new drive.Each time you start the system you will
> have to decide which drive to use as the boot drive.
> This is not a dual boot......seperate drives....seperate boots.You can do
> this by entering the BIOS each time you start.
> My Mobo BIOS allows me to press F12 to show a boot screen where I can
> decide which HD to boot from...can yours??
> This is also easier to change to Vista only boot once you decide thats
> what you wish..or vice versa.
> peter
> "Peter Geddes" <p.geddes@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
>> Will the XP partition be visible in Vista, i.e. get it it's own drive
>> letter? That's what I don't want!
>>
>> Thanks for the reply.
>>
>> "~~GC~~" <gclaessens@msn.com> wrote in message
>>> No need to hide the xp partition,
>>> install vista and after the final reboot you will be asked witch
>>> version, xp or vista, you want to start up, easy .
>>> Thats the way it workd on my pc.
>>> succes
>>>
>>> "Peter Geddes" <p.geddes@dsl.pipex.com> schreef in bericht

John Barnett MVP

Re: Hide XP partition to install Vista?
I dual boot with Xp and Vista. All you need do is install XP first (which i
assume you already have this installed). Next create another partition on
the same drive (or another drive if you have one) and then install Vista.
After installation, when you reboot the machine, you will have a menu appear
giving you the option to boot into Vista or XP.

As has already been mentioned when you are using XP then XP takes the C:
drive letter and Vista becomes D: (or whatever letter it has assigned)
conversely when you boot into Vista, Vista takes the C: drive letter and XP
becomes D etc.

The only major problem is XP's shadow copy facility. When you boot into XP
windows XP will immediately delete 'all' system restore points created in
Windows Vista ( i believe it also deletes shadow copy files for Complete PC
Backup if you are using a version of Vista that supports this, i.e,
Ultimate)

A third party boot manager should solve the problem of losing restore points
from Vista. Alternatively, if you are using Vista Ultimate or Business, you
could use Bitlocker encryption to prevent the restore points being lost.
Personally system restore is disabled on both my XP and Vista partition so
the thought of losing restore points ins't one that bothers me, but it may
bother you.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"Peter Geddes" <p.geddes@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
> I'd like to dual boot between XP & Vista but I'm not sure if I need to
> hide partitions or not.
>
> XP is on a Primary partition and I will create another Primary partition
> for Vista (on the same disk). Do I need to make the Vista partition
> active and hide the XP partition before the install? I don't want Vista
> seeing the XP partition and vice versa.
>
> Does the Vista boot manager hide other primary partitions whilst active?
>
> Thanks
>
> --
>
> All incoming & outgoing emails and files scanned by NOD32 Anti-Virus

Peter Geddes

Re: Hide XP partition to install Vista?
Yep, XP is my main OS and I installed Vista on a primary partition on the
same RAID disk. It made the XP partition D: as you said but this is a bit
inconvenient as this pushed my other partition drive letters up. I've got
used to the drive letters as they are with XP. That is why I want to hide
the XP partition in Vista so that they do stay the same. This might not be a
big deal but I can't change the XP partition drive letter (WIndows doesn't
allow it).

I don't use System Restore either - I use Ghost for backing up.

I haven't come across a Boot Manager compatible with Vista and allows
partition hiding yet!

Thanks for the reply.

"John Barnett MVP" <freelanceit@mvps.org.NOSPAM> wrote in message
>I dual boot with Xp and Vista. All you need do is install XP first (which i
>assume you already have this installed). Next create another partition on
>the same drive (or another drive if you have one) and then install Vista.
>After installation, when you reboot the machine, you will have a menu
>appear giving you the option to boot into Vista or XP.
>
> As has already been mentioned when you are using XP then XP takes the C:
> drive letter and Vista becomes D: (or whatever letter it has assigned)
> conversely when you boot into Vista, Vista takes the C: drive letter and
> XP becomes D etc.
>
> The only major problem is XP's shadow copy facility. When you boot into XP
> windows XP will immediately delete 'all' system restore points created in
> Windows Vista ( i believe it also deletes shadow copy files for Complete
> PC Backup if you are using a version of Vista that supports this, i.e,
> Ultimate)
>
> A third party boot manager should solve the problem of losing restore
> points from Vista. Alternatively, if you are using Vista Ultimate or
> Business, you could use Bitlocker encryption to prevent the restore points
> being lost. Personally system restore is disabled on both my XP and Vista
> partition so the thought of losing restore points ins't one that bothers
> me, but it may bother you.
>
> --
> John Barnett MVP
> Associate Expert
> Windows - Shell/User
>
> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

> reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable
> for any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out
> of the use of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in
> this mail/post..
>
> "Peter Geddes" <p.geddes@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
>> I'd like to dual boot between XP & Vista but I'm not sure if I need to
>> hide partitions or not.
>>
>> XP is on a Primary partition and I will create another Primary partition
>> for Vista (on the same disk). Do I need to make the Vista partition
>> active and hide the XP partition before the install? I don't want Vista
>> seeing the XP partition and vice versa.
>>
>> Does the Vista boot manager hide other primary partitions whilst active?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> --
>>
>> All incoming & outgoing emails and files scanned by NOD32 Anti-Virus

John Barnett MVP

Re: Hide XP partition to install Vista?
Ghost? If that's Norton Ghost i wouldn't touch it with a barge pole!

Hiding the partition was easy with TweakUI but it isn't Vista compatible
(well as far as i know). I've recently re-imaged my drives from a very
early backup and i haven't had time to re-install software to bring this
copy up to date ( i have a recent image but i wanted a copy without the
current software on - hence the 'old' copy), anyway take a look at totalidea
software and their tweakVI (www.totalidea.com). There is a review on my
website: http://vistasupport.mvps.org/tweakvi.htm There is a free version,
although i actually reviewed the Ultimate version. I'm sure there is an
option, similar to TweakUI, to hide partitions, but i'm not sure whether it
is available in the free version. If it is available in the free version,
you could install TweakVI onto Vista and then hide the XP partition. That
way you would not be able to access any files on the XP partition and you
also wouldn't be able to see the XP partition.