Vista activation error

Junchang

Vista activation error
Dear all,

The error message below displayed when I tried to activate my copy of Win
Vista Business.

Windows Activation Error

A problem occurred when Windows tried to activate. Error Code 0x8007232B.
For a possible resolution, click More Information

I clicked on More Information link and the Description is: DNS name does not
exist.

I can connect to internet without problem but the Internet icon in Network
and Sharing Center is grey and the connection between LAN and Internet is
interrupted. The result of Network Diagnose and repair said "Web Proxy" is
not set up to establish a connection on port "8080" with this computer but I
already set the proxy server in Internet Options. I'm quite confused. Could
you please give me any suggestion to solve the problem?
Danie Vink

Re: Vista activation error
You are probably using a KMS (Key Management Services) key and you do not
have such a server.

FAQ from Microsoft's site.
-----------
Key Management Service (KMS) enables organizations to perform local
activations for computers in a managed environment without the need to
connect to Microsoft. A KMS key is used to enable KMS on a computer
controlled by the system administrator in an organization. KMS activation is
targeted at managed environments where more than 25 computers are connected
to the organizational network. Computers running Windows Vista activate by
connecting to a central Windows Vista computer running KMS.

In case of KMS activation, client computers must connect to a KMS host at
least once every 180 days to renew their activation. Computers that are not
activated try to connect with the KMS host every two hours (value
configurable). Once activated, these computers attempt to renew their
activation (locally) every seven days (value configurable), and if
successful, their 180-day activation life span is renewed.

The computers locate the KMS host using one of the following two methods:

. Auto-discovery: The computer uses Domain Name System (DNS) service
records to automatically locate a local KMS host.

. Direct connection: A system administrator specifies the KMS host
location and communication port

The client computers have a 30-day grace period to complete the activation.
Computers that are not activated within this grace period go into Reduced
Functionality Mode (RFM). For more information about RFM, see Reduced
Functionality.