Finding files that weren't backed up

Kat331

Finding files that weren't backed up
Hi,

I'm pretty much computer illiterate...I think I accidentally did a clean
install when upgrading to Vista from XP. Is there a way to retrieve the
files that I didn't back up? I'm mainly concerned with the pictures.

Any suggestions would be great, even if it's a suggestion of where I can go
to have this done.

Thanks
philo

Re: Finding files that weren't backed up

"Kat331" <Kat331@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm pretty much computer illiterate...I think I accidentally did a clean
> install when upgrading to Vista from XP. Is there a way to retrieve the
> files that I didn't back up? I'm mainly concerned with the pictures.
>
> Any suggestions would be great, even if it's a suggestion of where I can

go
> to have this done.
>
> Thanks

If you installed without formatting the drive, there is an old windows
folder left on the drive
and all your stuff is in there.
If you formatted the drive...then all your data are gone...
the only hope would be about $1000 worth of labwork and even then it's
doubtful

Bruce Chambers

Kat331 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm pretty much computer illiterate...I think I accidentally did a clean
> install when upgrading to Vista from XP. Is there a way to retrieve the
> files that I didn't back up? I'm mainly concerned with the pictures.

If you actually performed a true "Clean install," which entails
formatting the hard drive, then no.

> Any suggestions would be great, even if it's a suggestion of where I can go
> to have this done.

If you didn't perform a true "Clean Installation," then some of the
files may still be there, within the "Windows.old" folder, where the
Vista installation routine is souuposed to preserve the "unusable"
remnants of the earlier OS.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
Kat331

Re: Finding files that weren't backed up
I searched for a windows.old folder, and nothing is coming up. I'm taking it
that that's not a good sign, and that I must have formatted the hard drive.
Is this correct?

> I searched for a windows.old folder, and nothing is coming up. I'm taking

it
> that that's not a good sign, and that I must have formatted the hard

drive.
> Is this correct?

http://neosmart.net/blog/2006/so-you-overwrote-your-xp/

Phillips

Re: Finding files that weren't backed up
Depends what kind of format Vista performs... I doubt it erases the whole
system partition, though. Try some free undeleters (ex,
http://www.officerecovery.com/freeundelete/) - google for more such
programs. You *might* get lucky and recover a few pics - pending how large
and fragmented your files were etc. Some comercial file recovery programs
have a demo version that you can try and see if files are recoverable -
you'll have to pay for the full working version of the program, though, if
you want to recover the files.
Michael

"Kat331" <Kat331@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm pretty much computer illiterate...I think I accidentally did a clean
> install when upgrading to Vista from XP. Is there a way to retrieve the
> files that I didn't back up? I'm mainly concerned with the pictures.
>
> Any suggestions would be great, even if it's a suggestion of where I can
> go
> to have this done.
>
> Thanks

John Barnes

Re: Finding files that weren't backed up
Double check your hard drive, the partition that Vista is installed on and
any other partition that had your old version of Windows on it. It will be
on the root of the partition. Unless you intentionally went into advanced
settings and formatted your drive you did not reformat

"Kat331" <Kat331@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I searched for a windows.old folder, and nothing is coming up. I'm taking
>it
> that that's not a good sign, and that I must have formatted the hard
> drive.
> Is this correct?
>
> "Bruce Chambers" wrote:
>
>> Kat331 wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I'm pretty much computer illiterate...I think I accidentally did a
>> > clean
>> > install when upgrading to Vista from XP. Is there a way to retrieve
>> > the
>> > files that I didn't back up? I'm mainly concerned with the pictures.
>> >

>> If you actually performed a true "Clean install," which entails
>> formatting the hard drive, then no.
>>

>> > Any suggestions would be great, even if it's a suggestion of where I
>> > can go
>> > to have this done.
>> >

>> If you didn't perform a true "Clean Installation," then some of the
>> files may still be there, within the "Windows.old" folder, where the
>> Vista installation routine is souuposed to preserve the "unusable"
>> remnants of the earlier OS.
>>

>> --
>>
>> Bruce Chambers
>>
>> Help us help you:
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/555375
>>
>> They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
>> safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ~Benjamin Franklin
>>
>> Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. ~Bertrand
>> Russell
>>
>> The philosopher has never killed any priests, whereas the priest has
>> killed a great many philosophers.
>> ~ Denis Diderot

Mick Murphy

RE: Finding files that weren't backed up
http://www.quetek.com/

The above is a buy program "file scavenger"

Also try PCInspector.
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia