installing vista

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9uYXRoYW4=?=

installing vista
I just got upgrade version of vista and try to install it. In the process I
get a Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error, saying that This program asked it
to close in a non normal way and then the install just quits. What to do?
=?Utf-8?B?SmFzb24=?=

RE: installing vista
Hi Jonathan,

Please find the setupact.log file in the c:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther
directory; attach the log file so that it can be analyzed. This log file
should reveal what's going on.

-Jason

"Jonathan" wrote:

> I just got upgrade version of vista and try to install it. In the process I
> get a Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error, saying that This program asked it
> to close in a non normal way and then the install just quits. What to do?

=?Utf-8?B?QnJhZA==?=

RE: installing vista
Has anyone gotten any resolution about this problem--other than wiping the
slate and doing a complete fresh installation?

My setupact.log file is 37.5 megabytes. I was wondering how practical it was
to attach that log file to anything.

Short of attaching this huge file, is there anything in particular that I
should look for in the log file?

"Jason" wrote:

> Hi Jonathan,
>
> Please find the setupact.log file in the c:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther
> directory; attach the log file so that it can be analyzed. This log file
> should reveal what's going on.
>
> -Jason
>
> "Jonathan" wrote:
>
> > I just got upgrade version of vista and try to install it. In the process I
> > get a Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error, saying that This program asked it
> > to close in a non normal way and then the install just quits. What to do?

=?Utf-8?B?QnJhZA==?=

RE: installing vista
Here's what resolved the issue for me:

-- Remove all Symantec-Norton software. Symantec has a tool that you can
download and run.

-- Do a System Restore (a so-called non-destructive restore)

-- Run HP Upgrade Assistant

-- Run Vista Upgrade installation (IT RAN COMPLETELY, FINALLY!)

-- IMPORTANT: RERUN HP Ugrade Assistant (It installs HP-specific
drivers--IMPORTANT!)

In any case, chances are that some of your installed applications might have
become uninstalled or require re-installation.

If you don't have HP computer, your manufacturer should have something
similar to what HP has. If not, I would question that manufacturer unless
everything is absolutely impeccable with that brand.

That all said and done, I'm questioning the usability of some changes in
Vista. One expects changes, but some dialogs seem very cluttered and less
user-friendly, for example.