Clean install ??

=?Utf-8?B?QUs=?=

Clean install ??
I have Windows Vista Premium upgrade DVD. Can i do so called clean install or
do i have to just upgrade my old XP Home edition?
Daveg

Re: Clean install ??
You will need to install XP and then upgrade. Only other option is to
purchase full version of Vista.

Daveg

Frankster

Re: Clean install ??
Terminology and context is everything. MS uses the term "in-place upgrade"
to refer to an installation that preserves your existing XP programs and
configuration. They use the term "clean install" to denote an installation
that, basically, renders your existing installation invisible and unusable,
but can preserve data.

So... yes, you can do a clean install with any version. But you cannot do an
in-place upgrade with an OEM product of any type. OEM products are limited
to clean installs (do not preserve your original XP programs and
configuration).

In your case, it appears you can do either. Make your choice during
installation.

Keep in mind that the "upgrade-priced" product is only that, a special price
if you already have a qualifying product installed. This "upgrade" price
terminology does not refer to the technical difference between in-place
upgrade and clean install.

-Frank

"AK" <AK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have Windows Vista Premium upgrade DVD. Can i do so called clean install
>or
> do i have to just upgrade my old XP Home edition?

Daze N. Knights

Re: Clean install ??
You can't use a Vista upgrade DVD to upgrade, say, a Dell Dimension that
came with XP? You are saying that one's only choice in upgrading a Dell
that came with XP pre-installed would necessarily involve losing all of
one's programs and settings?

Frankster wrote:
> Terminology and context is everything. MS uses the term "in-place
> upgrade" to refer to an installation that preserves your existing XP
> programs and configuration. They use the term "clean install" to denote
> an installation that, basically, renders your existing installation
> invisible and unusable, but can preserve data.
>
> So... yes, you can do a clean install with any version. But you cannot
> do an in-place upgrade with an OEM product of any type. OEM products are
> limited to clean installs (do not preserve your original XP programs and
> configuration).
>
> In your case, it appears you can do either. Make your choice during
> installation.
>
> Keep in mind that the "upgrade-priced" product is only that, a special
> price if you already have a qualifying product installed. This "upgrade"
> price terminology does not refer to the technical difference between
> in-place upgrade and clean install.
>
> -Frank
>
> "AK" <AK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I have Windows Vista Premium upgrade DVD. Can i do so called clean
>> install or
>> do i have to just upgrade my old XP Home edition?

David B.

Re: Clean install ??
Not quite. An upgrade DVD will do a clean install, it's discussed here on a
constant basis, do a search of the groups.

--

----
http://www.db-pc.com

"Daveg" <dguenthners@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1173354272.465266.128800@j27g2000cwj.googlegr oups.com...
> You will need to install XP and then upgrade. Only other option is to
> purchase full version of Vista.
>
> Daveg

David B.

Re: Clean install ??
Yes you can, Frankster was referring to the OEM version of Vista not being
able to perform an upgrade, you can upgrade a PC with an OEM XP load using
the Vista upgrade.

--

----
http://www.db-pc.com

"Daze N. Knights" <Daze@microchip.com> wrote in message
> You can't use a Vista upgrade DVD to upgrade, say, a Dell Dimension that
> came with XP? You are saying that one's only choice in upgrading a Dell
> that came with XP pre-installed would necessarily involve losing all of
> one's programs and settings?

Daze N. Knights

Re: Clean install ??
Ah. Thank you for the clarification.

David B. wrote:
> Yes you can, Frankster was referring to the OEM version of Vista not
> being able to perform an upgrade, you can upgrade a PC with an OEM XP
> load using the Vista upgrade.

=?Utf-8?B?bWhvbnplbGw=?=

Re: Clean install ??
I believe he meant:
You can't use an OEM Vista disk to upgrade XP. OEM Vista must be a true
"clean install" and everything is lost from the prior OS.

Vista Upgrade disks can be use to transfer prior OS information if they
meet the upgrade path requirements. Even if they do not, the transfer
information can be saved externally and re-inserted upon completion (but,
it's slow and flaky.)

"Daze N. Knights" wrote:

> You can't use a Vista upgrade DVD to upgrade, say, a Dell Dimension that
> came with XP? You are saying that one's only choice in upgrading a Dell
> that came with XP pre-installed would necessarily involve losing all of
> one's programs and settings?
>

> Frankster wrote:
> > Terminology and context is everything. MS uses the term "in-place
> > upgrade" to refer to an installation that preserves your existing XP
> > programs and configuration. They use the term "clean install" to denote
> > an installation that, basically, renders your existing installation
> > invisible and unusable, but can preserve data.
> >
> > So... yes, you can do a clean install with any version. But you cannot
> > do an in-place upgrade with an OEM product of any type. OEM products are
> > limited to clean installs (do not preserve your original XP programs and
> > configuration).
> >
> > In your case, it appears you can do either. Make your choice during
> > installation.
> >
> > Keep in mind that the "upgrade-priced" product is only that, a special
> > price if you already have a qualifying product installed. This "upgrade"
> > price terminology does not refer to the technical difference between
> > in-place upgrade and clean install.
> >
> > -Frank
> >
> > "AK" <AK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> I have Windows Vista Premium upgrade DVD. Can i do so called clean
> >> install or
> >> do i have to just upgrade my old XP Home edition?

Mark

Re: Clean install ??
To be absolutely clear.

I have a valid copy Windows XP OEM. I'm rebuilding the computer for Vista.
I'd like to to purchase "Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium UPGRADE [DVD]"
(not OEM) and use that to do a clean install on an unformatted drive using
the old OEM XP CD as proof for the upgrade (don't want the old OS on the hard
drive)

The old way of doing this was to boot your upgrade CD and during the
installation it asks you to insert the old OS installation CD to prove that
you own it. I want to know if that is still the way it works and that the
upgrade noted above will accept an OEM CD as proof of previous operating
system.

"David B." wrote:

> Yes you can, Frankster was referring to the OEM version of Vista not being
> able to perform an upgrade, you can upgrade a PC with an OEM XP load using
> the Vista upgrade.
>
> --
>
> ----
> How to Post http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.db-pc.com
> __________________________________________________ _______________________________
>

> "Daze N. Knights" <Daze@microchip.com> wrote in message
> > You can't use a Vista upgrade DVD to upgrade, say, a Dell Dimension that
> > came with XP? You are saying that one's only choice in upgrading a Dell
> > that came with XP pre-installed would necessarily involve losing all of
> > one's programs and settings?

Bruce Chambers

Re: Clean install ??
Mark wrote:
> To be absolutely clear.
>
> I have a valid copy Windows XP OEM. I'm rebuilding the computer for Vista.
> I'd like to to purchase "Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium UPGRADE [DVD]"
> (not OEM) and use that to do a clean install on an unformatted drive using
> the old OEM XP CD as proof for the upgrade (don't want the old OS on the hard
> drive)
>
> The old way of doing this was to boot your upgrade CD and during the
> installation it asks you to insert the old OS installation CD to prove that
> you own it. I want to know if that is still the way it works and that the
> upgrade noted above will accept an OEM CD as proof of previous operating
> system.

No, that's not the way it works, anymore. The Vista Upgrade DVDs were
intended to have been specifically designed to be installed only from
within the earlier, qualifying OS, which must have been activated and
validated by WGA. The upgrade setup routine won't ask you to insert a
disk from an earlier OS, nor allow this sort of validation.

However, a clean installation using a Vista Upgrade DVD is currently
possible, though there's no telling how long it will take for Microsoft
to fix this "oversight:"

Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows: How to Clean Install Windows
Vista with Upgrade Media
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...rade_clean.asp

NOTE: This method is *not* supported by Microsoft.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.