Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Setting up ISS-IUSERS when using a folder other than inetpub/wwwro

microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 03-08-2007
=?Utf-8?B?TGFycnkgUy4=?=
 

Posts: n/a
Setting up ISS-IUSERS when using a folder other than inetpub/wwwro
When setting up IIS in Vista (Home Premium) on my new laptop, I moved the
folder I use for my web pages to a subfolder of My Documents, instead of
under inetpub/wwwroot. I did this to make it easier to include any web pages
I have been working on when I do document backups. I use this server for
development purposes only, so don't need to have it available to users on the
Internet. I'm using Macromedia Homesite to develop and modify web pages.

I have been using this kind of folder (i.e. under My Documents) for my web
development pages for some time on my main desktop, which is still running
Windows 2000, however on the Vista machine, it has resulted in an "Error 500"
when I try to browse to localhost. Apparently, when setting up ISS, an
ISS_IUSERS net user is set up for wwwroot only. How can I set this user up
for the actual folder I use? ISS_IUSERS doesn't show up in the control panel
user account menu at all, but it does appear when I check the properties in
the wwwroot folder.
--
Larry S
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 03-08-2007
Joe Guidera
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Setting up ISS-IUSERS when using a folder other than inetpub/wwwro
Do you mean grant the IIS_USERS account access to your newly created folder?
Try right clicking on the folder and choosing properties.

Joe

"Larry S." <LarryS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:A1B9C8E3-19E6-4210-A536-F0D69B0DF531@microsoft.com...
> When setting up IIS in Vista (Home Premium) on my new laptop, I moved the
> folder I use for my web pages to a subfolder of My Documents, instead of
> under inetpub/wwwroot. I did this to make it easier to include any web
> pages
> I have been working on when I do document backups. I use this server for
> development purposes only, so don't need to have it available to users on
> the
> Internet. I'm using Macromedia Homesite to develop and modify web pages.
>
> I have been using this kind of folder (i.e. under My Documents) for my web
> development pages for some time on my main desktop, which is still running
> Windows 2000, however on the Vista machine, it has resulted in an "Error
> 500"
> when I try to browse to localhost. Apparently, when setting up ISS, an
> ISS_IUSERS net user is set up for wwwroot only. How can I set this user
> up
> for the actual folder I use? ISS_IUSERS doesn't show up in the control
> panel
> user account menu at all, but it does appear when I check the properties
> in
> the wwwroot folder.
> --
> Larry S


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 03-09-2007
=?Utf-8?B?TGFycnkgUy4=?=
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Setting up ISS-IUSERS when using a folder other than inetpub/w
The only place the IIS_IUSERS account appears is in the inetpub/wwwroot
folder, where it is apparently created automatically by IIS installation. It
doesn't show up anywhere else, including in the control panel/user account.
I assume that if I could find out how to create an ISS-USERS account for the
folder I want to use I could then set the properties for it, but I don't know
if it would be enough to simply create an account by that name manually, or
if it has to have some special properties that only can be created by the
system that let localhost access it. Right clicking on it in the
inetpub/wwwroot folder doesn't seem to do anything for the folder I want to
use, and right clicking on that folder, doesn't allow seem to allow for any
connection to IIS_IUSERS.
--
Larry S


"Joe Guidera" wrote:

> Do you mean grant the IIS_USERS account access to your newly created folder?
> Try right clicking on the folder and choosing properties.
>
> Joe
>
> "Larry S." <LarryS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:A1B9C8E3-19E6-4210-A536-F0D69B0DF531@microsoft.com...
> > When setting up IIS in Vista (Home Premium) on my new laptop, I moved the
> > folder I use for my web pages to a subfolder of My Documents, instead of
> > under inetpub/wwwroot. I did this to make it easier to include any web
> > pages
> > I have been working on when I do document backups. I use this server for
> > development purposes only, so don't need to have it available to users on
> > the
> > Internet. I'm using Macromedia Homesite to develop and modify web pages.
> >
> > I have been using this kind of folder (i.e. under My Documents) for my web
> > development pages for some time on my main desktop, which is still running
> > Windows 2000, however on the Vista machine, it has resulted in an "Error
> > 500"
> > when I try to browse to localhost. Apparently, when setting up ISS, an
> > ISS_IUSERS net user is set up for wwwroot only. How can I set this user
> > up
> > for the actual folder I use? ISS_IUSERS doesn't show up in the control
> > panel
> > user account menu at all, but it does appear when I check the properties
> > in
> > the wwwroot folder.
> > --
> > Larry S

>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 03-10-2007
Joe Guidera
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Setting up ISS-IUSERS when using a folder other than inetpub/w
You don't create it as a user. It's a special account. RIGHT click on the
folder you want to grant access to IIS and choose properties. Select
Security. You can then select ADD and browse and you will see the IIS_IUSR
account.

J

"Larry S." <LarryS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsFC45577-C5AC-4901-83A0-58579AB04410@microsoft.com...
> The only place the IIS_IUSERS account appears is in the inetpub/wwwroot
> folder, where it is apparently created automatically by IIS installation.
> It
> doesn't show up anywhere else, including in the control panel/user
> account.
> I assume that if I could find out how to create an ISS-USERS account for
> the
> folder I want to use I could then set the properties for it, but I don't
> know
> if it would be enough to simply create an account by that name manually,
> or
> if it has to have some special properties that only can be created by the
> system that let localhost access it. Right clicking on it in the
> inetpub/wwwroot folder doesn't seem to do anything for the folder I want
> to
> use, and right clicking on that folder, doesn't allow seem to allow for
> any
> connection to IIS_IUSERS.
> --
> Larry S
>
>
> "Joe Guidera" wrote:
>
>> Do you mean grant the IIS_USERS account access to your newly created
>> folder?
>> Try right clicking on the folder and choosing properties.
>>
>> Joe
>>
>> "Larry S." <LarryS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:A1B9C8E3-19E6-4210-A536-F0D69B0DF531@microsoft.com...
>> > When setting up IIS in Vista (Home Premium) on my new laptop, I moved
>> > the
>> > folder I use for my web pages to a subfolder of My Documents, instead
>> > of
>> > under inetpub/wwwroot. I did this to make it easier to include any web
>> > pages
>> > I have been working on when I do document backups. I use this server
>> > for
>> > development purposes only, so don't need to have it available to users
>> > on
>> > the
>> > Internet. I'm using Macromedia Homesite to develop and modify web
>> > pages.
>> >
>> > I have been using this kind of folder (i.e. under My Documents) for my
>> > web
>> > development pages for some time on my main desktop, which is still
>> > running
>> > Windows 2000, however on the Vista machine, it has resulted in an
>> > "Error
>> > 500"
>> > when I try to browse to localhost. Apparently, when setting up ISS, an
>> > ISS_IUSERS net user is set up for wwwroot only. How can I set this
>> > user
>> > up
>> > for the actual folder I use? ISS_IUSERS doesn't show up in the control
>> > panel
>> > user account menu at all, but it does appear when I check the
>> > properties
>> > in
>> > the wwwroot folder.
>> > --
>> > Larry S

>>

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 03-10-2007
=?Utf-8?B?TGFycnkgUy4=?=
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Setting up ISS-IUSERS when using a folder other than inetpub/w
Eureka! It works. Joe, thanks for your help. There is one more question I
would like to ask. I want to make sure that by doing this, I'm not leaving
myself vulnerable to outside penetration of my website directory, especially
since I have directory browsing enabled.

Since this site if for local development only, and the pages will then be
FTP'd up to the hosting site, I don't want to allow ANY outside access over
the Internet. Sharing is turned off in the new root web directory I'm using.
Is this enough, or is there anything else I need to do (or make sure I don't
do!!!) so that access is confined to my local machine only? Thanks.
--
Larry S


"Joe Guidera" wrote:

> You don't create it as a user. It's a special account. RIGHT click on the
> folder you want to grant access to IIS and choose properties. Select
> Security. You can then select ADD and browse and you will see the IIS_IUSR
> account.
>
> J
>
> "Larry S." <LarryS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> newsFC45577-C5AC-4901-83A0-58579AB04410@microsoft.com...
> > The only place the IIS_IUSERS account appears is in the inetpub/wwwroot
> > folder, where it is apparently created automatically by IIS installation.
> > It
> > doesn't show up anywhere else, including in the control panel/user
> > account.
> > I assume that if I could find out how to create an ISS-USERS account for
> > the
> > folder I want to use I could then set the properties for it, but I don't
> > know
> > if it would be enough to simply create an account by that name manually,
> > or
> > if it has to have some special properties that only can be created by the
> > system that let localhost access it. Right clicking on it in the
> > inetpub/wwwroot folder doesn't seem to do anything for the folder I want
> > to
> > use, and right clicking on that folder, doesn't allow seem to allow for
> > any
> > connection to IIS_IUSERS.
> > --
> > Larry S
> >
> >
> > "Joe Guidera" wrote:
> >
> >> Do you mean grant the IIS_USERS account access to your newly created
> >> folder?
> >> Try right clicking on the folder and choosing properties.
> >>
> >> Joe
> >>
> >> "Larry S." <LarryS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news:A1B9C8E3-19E6-4210-A536-F0D69B0DF531@microsoft.com...
> >> > When setting up IIS in Vista (Home Premium) on my new laptop, I moved
> >> > the
> >> > folder I use for my web pages to a subfolder of My Documents, instead
> >> > of
> >> > under inetpub/wwwroot. I did this to make it easier to include any web
> >> > pages
> >> > I have been working on when I do document backups. I use this server
> >> > for
> >> > development purposes only, so don't need to have it available to users
> >> > on
> >> > the
> >> > Internet. I'm using Macromedia Homesite to develop and modify web
> >> > pages.
> >> >
> >> > I have been using this kind of folder (i.e. under My Documents) for my
> >> > web
> >> > development pages for some time on my main desktop, which is still
> >> > running
> >> > Windows 2000, however on the Vista machine, it has resulted in an
> >> > "Error
> >> > 500"
> >> > when I try to browse to localhost. Apparently, when setting up ISS, an
> >> > ISS_IUSERS net user is set up for wwwroot only. How can I set this
> >> > user
> >> > up
> >> > for the actual folder I use? ISS_IUSERS doesn't show up in the control
> >> > panel
> >> > user account menu at all, but it does appear when I check the
> >> > properties
> >> > in
> >> > the wwwroot folder.
> >> > --
> >> > Larry S
> >>

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Users Folder always gets shared when sharing another folder ??? =?Utf-8?B?Q29ybmZsYWtlcw==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 3 03-14-2007 11:48
where is this setting please? A microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 2 03-01-2007 12:22
Folder Icon in User Folder not appearing correctly Synapse Syndrome microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 11 03-01-2007 04:52
How to set folder options to apply one to one folder but not the other? Tim Smith microsoft.public.windows.vista.file management 2 02-28-2007 17:41
cutom setting for the folder locations Piotr Wozniacki microsoft.public.windows.vista.file management 2 02-28-2007 14:15




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 17:52.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120