Vista 64 dual boot changing drive letter

martyl

Vista 64 dual boot changing drive letter
I wish to install vista 64 on my computer that has Windows XP Pro as dual boot.

Drive C would have XP Pro
Drive G Vista 64.
But when you boot vista it calls changes drive G and calls it drive C.
Can this be stopped or can I install windows XP and Vista 64 to the same
drive?

John Barnett MVP

Re: Vista 64 dual boot changing drive letter
That is the normal procedure. When you are using XP the drive is C: when you
use Vista the drive is C: The other problem, of course, with dual booting XP
and Vista is that, whenever you boot to XP, all of your system restore and
shadow copy points in Vista are deleted. This is a known problem that is not
going to be rectified.

Personally, I run XP on virtual machine software (VMware workstation,
although this software can be expensive.) Alternatively give Microsoft's VPC
2007 virtual software a try (still free as far as I know). there are
limitations to virtual machines but if you just simply need XP for the odd
application that won't run on Vista then virtual machine software is an easy
option. Providing you have enough memory on you system you can also run the
two operating systems at the same time.

John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
Windows - Shell/User

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"martyl" <martyl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I wish to install vista 64 on my computer that has Windows XP Pro as dual
>boot.
>
> Drive C would have XP Pro
> Drive G Vista 64.
> But when you boot vista it calls changes drive G and calls it drive C.
> Can this be stopped or can I install windows XP and Vista 64 to the same
> drive?

John Barnes

Re: Vista 64 dual boot changing drive letter
Since you can't install the 64-bit system from your XP Desktop you cannot
get your drive letter to change. John's advice provides good advice and
alternatives.

"martyl" <martyl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I wish to install vista 64 on my computer that has Windows XP Pro as dual
>boot.
>
> Drive C would have XP Pro
> Drive G Vista 64.
> But when you boot vista it calls changes drive G and calls it drive C.
> Can this be stopped or can I install windows XP and Vista 64 to the same
> drive?

martyl

Re: Vista 64 dual boot changing drive letter
Thank you john

"John Barnett MVP" wrote:

> That is the normal procedure. When you are using XP the drive is C: when you
> use Vista the drive is C: The other problem, of course, with dual booting XP
> and Vista is that, whenever you boot to XP, all of your system restore and
> shadow copy points in Vista are deleted. This is a known problem that is not
> going to be rectified.
>
> Personally, I run XP on virtual machine software (VMware workstation,
> although this software can be expensive.) Alternatively give Microsoft's VPC
> 2007 virtual software a try (still free as far as I know). there are
> limitations to virtual machines but if you just simply need XP for the odd
> application that won't run on Vista then virtual machine software is an easy
> option. Providing you have enough memory on you system you can also run the
> two operating systems at the same time.

> John Barnett MVP
> Associate Expert
> Windows - Shell/User
>
> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

> reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable for
> any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the
> mail/post..
>
> "martyl" <martyl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I wish to install vista 64 on my computer that has Windows XP Pro as dual
> >boot.
> >
> > Drive C would have XP Pro
> > Drive G Vista 64.
> > But when you boot vista it calls changes drive G and calls it drive C.
> > Can this be stopped or can I install windows XP and Vista 64 to the same
> > drive?

John Barnett MVP

Re: Vista 64 dual boot changing drive letter
You're Welcome

> Thank you john
>
> "John Barnett MVP" wrote:
>
>> That is the normal procedure. When you are using XP the drive is C: when
>> you
>> use Vista the drive is C: The other problem, of course, with dual booting
>> XP
>> and Vista is that, whenever you boot to XP, all of your system restore
>> and
>> shadow copy points in Vista are deleted. This is a known problem that is
>> not
>> going to be rectified.
>>
>> Personally, I run XP on virtual machine software (VMware workstation,
>> although this software can be expensive.) Alternatively give Microsoft's
>> VPC
>> 2007 virtual software a try (still free as far as I know). there are
>> limitations to virtual machines but if you just simply need XP for the
>> odd
>> application that won't run on Vista then virtual machine software is an
>> easy
>> option. Providing you have enough memory on you system you can also run
>> the
>> two operating systems at the same time.

>> John Barnett MVP
>> Associate Expert
>> Windows - Shell/User
>>
>> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
>> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

>> for
>> any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of
>> the
>> use of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this
>> mail/post..
>>
>> "martyl" <martyl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I wish to install vista 64 on my computer that has Windows XP Pro as
>> >dual
>> >boot.
>> >
>> > Drive C would have XP Pro
>> > Drive G Vista 64.
>> > But when you boot vista it calls changes drive G and calls it drive C.
>> > Can this be stopped or can I install windows XP and Vista 64 to the
>> > same
>> > drive?

aklimantov

Re: Vista 64 dual boot changing drive letter

Actually, there is a way to dual boot Vista x64 and XP x32 and retain
same drive letters both under XP and Vista.

Here is how:
Under XP change the drive letter of your DVD-ROM to something other
than the drive letter you want to have your Vista installed.

Boot from Vista DVD, click "Install Now" and hit Shift+F10, start
diskpart and make any partition changes you need (I personally shrunk XP
partition by 32Gb and then created another partition for Vista and
assigned it drive letter D: )
Go through Vista install as you normally would (make sure that
"Automatically activate when connected to internet" is unchecked so you
don't have to activate Vista twice -- you'll see the reason for that
later). Also don't install any updates or non-disk-essential drivers
just yet.
Once you log in to Vista for the first time -- open to registry editor
and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices. Then rename
\DosDevices\D: to something else for now (presumable this is your XP
partition), rename \DosDevices\C: to
\DosDevices\[DESIRED_VISTA_DRIVE_LETTER]: (where
[DESIRED_VISTA_DRIVE_LETTER] should be replaced with the desired drive
letter for Vista partition -- D in my case). Now rename previously
renamed \DosDevices\D: to \DosDevices\C:
(see 'How to restore the system/boot drive letter in Windows'
(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=223188))

Close regedit and reboot. Now if you boot into Vista you will not be
able to run anything and your profile will not be loaded -- so instead
of booting normally choose Safe Mode with Command Prompt (by pressing F8
on boot menu screen while Vista option is highlighted). Once you boot
into Vista Safe Mode with Command Prompt change drive to your DVD drive
and start Vista setup AGAIN by typing setup in command prompt.

Go through Vista installation again and enjoy same drive letter
assignments under XP and Vista

--
aklimantov