Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel broken

Jason

Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel broken
On a Vista Home Premium system, I am trying to remove programs via the
control panel. It lists them all just fine, but nothing *nothing*
happens if I click on an entry.

Any ideas?

Jason
--
reverse my name in email address
Richard G. Harper

Re: Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel broken
When you click an entry, does "Uninstall" appear in the menu bar?

news:MPG.221fe3d3cce4075d9897b9@news.verizon.net.. .

In article <718CA0F7-32D8-4C5B-9D04-8868AD04FE23@microsoft.com>,
rgharper@email.com says...
> When you click an entry, does "Uninstall" appear in the menu bar?

Nope. That's why I'm here...

Nothing happens when I click *any* entry.

Jason
--
reverse my name in email address
Jason

Re: Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel broken
In article <718CA0F7-32D8-4C5B-9D04-8868AD04FE23@microsoft.com>,
rgharper@email.com says...
> When you click an entry, does "Uninstall" appear in the menu bar?

Hmm. But if I View Installed Updates and click an item, the Uninstall
option does show up. Hadn't tried that before.

--
reverse my name in email address
Jason

Re: Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel broken
In article <718CA0F7-32D8-4C5B-9D04-8868AD04FE23@microsoft.com>,
rgharper@email.com says...
> When you click an entry, does "Uninstall" appear in the menu bar?

Sorry to keep posting like this, but I made another discovery. In the
plain Uninstall or Change panel, I noticed that the Publisher entry for
most of my apps is blank, i.e., ALL the Adobe programs. None of them
offers Uninstall if I click. *But* for programs that have a non-blank
Publisher entry, I *do* get the options when I click.

Stranger and stranger...

Jason
--
reverse my name in email address
jwarren891

Re: Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel broken
Well, one more addition...

I installed several Adobe apps and Office 2007. That seems to be when the
trouble began. As I mentioned in the previous post, if Publisher is missing
in the list, I have the nothing-happens problem.

In fact, it's more general.

MOST of the entries in the list have no information whatsoever except the
name of the program. NONE of those respond to a click. The few programs that
do have all the information listed DO give me the uninstall/repair option.

It's as if vista has lost track of most of the programs and does not have
sufficient information to perform the uninstall.

I had thought it might be some permissions problem, but now I don't think so.

I think it's missing/corrupted data about the installed apps.

Is there a way to cajole vista into re-examining everything? (I should live
so long...)

Jason