WAIK and Windows xp

=?Utf-8?B?TGl6?=

WAIK and Windows xp
My question did not print correctly.
I wanted to ask if the WAIK tools are
strictly for deploying Vista images
or can it be used for deploying
windows xp images? if so, what files
do i substitute in the getting started document?
--
Liz
koze

Re: WAIK and Windows xp
There are separate tools for XP and for Vista, the deployment of them isn't
identical.
For more info you have to peek at the TEchNet website:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx

Ko.
"Liz" <Liz@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
> My question did not print correctly.
> I wanted to ask if the WAIK tools are
> strictly for deploying Vista images
> or can it be used for deploying
> windows xp images? if so, what files
> do i substitute in the getting started document?
> --
> Liz

=?Utf-8?B?TGl6?=

Re: WAIK and Windows xp
I am clueless. My boss asked me to download WAIK and use it to deploy xp
images.
Can you be more specific as to what tools I need for that.

Thank you.
--
Liz

"koze" wrote:

> There are separate tools for XP and for Vista, the deployment of them isn't
> identical.
> For more info you have to peek at the TEchNet website:
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx
>
> Ko.
> "Liz" <Liz@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
> > My question did not print correctly.
> > I wanted to ask if the WAIK tools are
> > strictly for deploying Vista images
> > or can it be used for deploying
> > windows xp images? if so, what files
> > do i substitute in the getting started document?
> > --
> > Liz

koze

Re: WAIK and Windows xp
Liz,

There are also WAIK set's for XP, that's the reason I pointed to the technet
website.

Take a look here:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tec...1/DesktopFiles

>I am clueless. My boss asked me to download WAIK and use it to deploy xp
> images.
> Can you be more specific as to what tools I need for that.
>
> Thank you.
> --
> Liz
>

> "koze" wrote:
>
>> There are separate tools for XP and for Vista, the deployment of them
>> isn't
>> identical.
>> For more info you have to peek at the TEchNet website:
>> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx
>>
>> Ko.
>> "Liz" <Liz@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
>> > My question did not print correctly.
>> > I wanted to ask if the WAIK tools are
>> > strictly for deploying Vista images
>> > or can it be used for deploying
>> > windows xp images? if so, what files
>> > do i substitute in the getting started document?
>> > --
>> > Liz

=?Utf-8?B?TGl6?=

Re: WAIK and Windows xp
Please forgive me but I have read just about everything on microsoft's
website today and am still truly confused. Tell me if I have this right,
to deploy windows xp and windows xp images I need to use a tool called
desktop deployment (which I am assuming is free)...
If I want to deploy vista or vista images I should use WAIK>

Please please pleaSe help me. I am drownding in this stuff : (

--
Liz

"koze" wrote:

> Liz,
>
> There are also WAIK set's for XP, that's the reason I pointed to the technet
> website.
>
> Take a look here:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tec...1/DesktopFiles
>
> Ko
>
> "Liz" <Liz@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
> >I am clueless. My boss asked me to download WAIK and use it to deploy xp
> > images.
> > Can you be more specific as to what tools I need for that.
> >
> > Thank you.
> > --
> > Liz
> >

> > "koze" wrote:
> >
> >> There are separate tools for XP and for Vista, the deployment of them
> >> isn't
> >> identical.
> >> For more info you have to peek at the TEchNet website:
> >> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx
> >>
> >> Ko.
> >> "Liz" <Liz@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht

koze

Re: WAIK and Windows xp
I'm not a expert on this, but will try to assist if possible.
For Windows Vista the deployment will be done true a image using Ximage and
not file install.
To be able to use that you have to use the tools to handle that from the
WAIK

XP is still a file install and for that you have to use partly a identical
tool.
Desktop deployment is in principe used for that you can use the WAIK for XP
also, but I have only used the XP OPK installation.

The OPK for XP is available as download and the needed files and samples are
included.
the info about the OPK is here:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/com...01_tn_sys.mspx

I'm sorry but that's about the help I can give for now.

> Please forgive me but I have read just about everything on microsoft's
> website today and am still truly confused. Tell me if I have this right,
> to deploy windows xp and windows xp images I need to use a tool called
> desktop deployment (which I am assuming is free)...
> If I want to deploy vista or vista images I should use WAIK>
>
> Please please pleaSe help me. I am drownding in this stuff : (
>
> --
> Liz
>

> "koze" wrote:
>
>> Liz,
>>
>> There are also WAIK set's for XP, that's the reason I pointed to the
>> technet
>> website.
>>
>> Take a look here:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tec...1/DesktopFiles
>>
>> Ko
>>
>> "Liz" <Liz@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
>> >I am clueless. My boss asked me to download WAIK and use it to deploy
>> >xp
>> > images.
>> > Can you be more specific as to what tools I need for that.
>> >
>> > Thank you.
>> > --
>> > Liz

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Re: WAIK and Windows xp
Hello,
BDD uses different technologies to deploy different versions of Windows.
The technologies that work with Windows XP from the WAIK would be WDS and
Imagex
The unattended settings(XML based) and WSIM(Windows System Image Manager)
from the WAIK are limited to working with Windows Vista Deployments
For unattended settings and Setup Manager ( to create unattended files),
there is a deploy.cab on the WIndows XP CD. ( this may be included\used in
the BDD, I don't recall)

Sysprep for Windows XP ships in support.cab, there may be updates available
for download as well
Sysprep for Windows VIsta ships and installs as part of the OS.

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
|>From: "koze" <koze@nospam.nospam>
|>Subject: Re: WAIK and Windows xp
|>Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 23:20:04 +0100
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
|>
|>I'm not a expert on this, but will try to assist if possible.
|>For Windows Vista the deployment will be done true a image using Ximage
and
|>not file install.
|>To be able to use that you have to use the tools to handle that from the
|>WAIK
|>
|>XP is still a file install and for that you have to use partly a
identical
|>tool.
|>Desktop deployment is in principe used for that you can use the WAIK for
XP
|>also, but I have only used the XP OPK installation.
|>
|>The OPK for XP is available as download and the needed files and samples
are
|>included.
|>the info about the OPK is here:
|>http://www.microsoft.com/technet/com...ild/05_0601_tn
_sys.mspx

|>I'm sorry but that's about the help I can give for now.
|>Ko.
|>

|>"Liz" <Liz@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
|>> Please forgive me but I have read just about everything on microsoft's
|>> website today and am still truly confused. Tell me if I have this
right,
|>> to deploy windows xp and windows xp images I need to use a tool called
|>> desktop deployment (which I am assuming is free)...
|>> If I want to deploy vista or vista images I should use WAIK>
|>>
|>> Please please pleaSe help me. I am drownding in this stuff : (
|>>
|>> --
|>> Liz

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tec...ktopFiles/?top
ics=/technet/technetmag/issues/2007/01/DesktopFiles

koze

Re: WAIK and Windows xp
Darrell,

Thanks for the addendum. I have it saved for later use!
Ko.