Win32_UserProfile WMI replacement for moveuser.exe

prn

Win32_UserProfile WMI replacement for moveuser.exe
Hi folks,

Does anyone have a clue for me on how I can actually use the
Win32_UserProfile WMI as a replacement for moveuser.exe?

I have read the KB article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930955 and
other links I have found from it, but I am pretty mystified about how
to use it. All I want to do here is the equivalent of moveuser to turn
a local user into a domain user. The "replacement" appears to be
intended to be much more powerful than what it replaces, but it's also
correspondingly less clear.

Here's my problem. My domain username is "prn" (don't ask. :-( It
stems from my unix usage and I was less than happy to discover the
problems with it, but changing it would entail lots of other
inconvenience). So, when I have set myself up on various WinXP boxes,
my procedure has been roughly as follows: I initially create a local
user, e.g. "paul". I also create a local administrator (if I didn't
get one by default in the install). I install the Resource Kit tools,
join the domain. reboot. log on as the administrator and do:

moveuser paul DOMAIN\prn /k

This way, I can log on to the domain as prn but my local files are
kept in c:\Documents and Settings\paul whick is a directory/folder
that can actually exist, unlike ...\prn, which is assumed to be a
printer so it cannot be created.

Now I am trying to set up a machine with Vista and I found the KB
article, but I can't figure out from that article what I need to to
that would be more or less equivalent to the command line above.

Any clues for the clueless?

Thanks,
Paul

DavidB

Re: Win32_UserProfile WMI replacement for moveuser.exe
On Mar 7, 3:43 pm, "prn" <p...@bsu.edu> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Does anyone have a clue for me on how I can actually use theWin32_UserProfileWMI as a replacement for moveuser.exe?
>
> I have read the KB articlehttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/930955and
> other links I have found from it, but I am pretty mystified about how
> to use it. All I want to do here is the equivalent of moveuser to turn
> a local user into a domain user. The "replacement" appears to be
> intended to be much more powerful than what it replaces, but it's also
> correspondingly less clear.
>
> Here's my problem. My domain username is "prn" (don't ask. :-( It
> stems from my unix usage and I was less than happy to discover the
> problems with it, but changing it would entail lots of other
> inconvenience). So, when I have set myself up on various WinXP boxes,
> my procedure has been roughly as follows: I initially create a local
> user, e.g. "paul". I also create a local administrator (if I didn't
> get one by default in the install). I install the Resource Kit tools,
> join the domain. reboot. log on as the administrator and do:
>
> moveuser paul DOMAIN\prn /k
>
> This way, I can log on to the domain as prn but my local files are
> kept in c:\Documents and Settings\paul whick is a directory/folder
> that can actually exist, unlike ...\prn, which is assumed to be a
> printer so it cannot be created.
>
> Now I am trying to set up a machine with Vista and I found the KB
> article, but I can't figure out from that article what I need to to
> that would be more or less equivalent to the command line above.
>
> Any clues for the clueless?
>
> Thanks,
> Paul

Stuck here too. I used the feedback at the bottom of the KB article
to give them negative feedback. The example shows how to delete a
user profile or return all properties. GEE, THANKS! That REALLY
describes how to accomplish the equivalent to moveuser.exe in WMI. It
also doesn't say whether you need to logon with a different account
from the two profiles you're working with.

I've had quite a few problems in Vista with shortcuts not working as
well (shortcuts to my pictures return errors, etc.)

If anyone knows how to move/copy user profiles with WMI, please share
your knowledge, web searches come up empty when it comes to this
topic.

(Profile security: the same in Vista as previous? owner has full
control of profile folder or have some subfolder/file permissions been
changed for security purposes?)

I tried granting my domain account full control of the profile
directory and using regedit to change the location of my domain
profile in HKLM>Software>Microsoft>Windows NT>Profile List to match my
local profile. This used to work in XP and previous but now it
doesn't... unless it's some security thing.