how to break a dual boot...

ivanvalles

how to break a dual boot...
I have 2 hd (1 w/ Vista & 1 w/ XP) when the machine boots it ask for Windows
Vista OS or Early version of Windows to boot from.
The problem is , I need to take out the hd that have Vista, but when I try
to boot with the hd that have XP the machine see no hd in the bios and
doesn't boot. Do a miss something in relation with the dual boot????

any help
ivan
thanks

koze

Re: how to break a dual boot...
Indeed, all the files needed for booting both OSes are on the same primairy
HD.
If you take that out you have to create a new bootmgr and bootsector for the
other HD.
On which controller is the second HD connected? if this is not set correct
in the BIOS you have no bootable device.
Ko

"ivanvalles" <tallerborinquen@onelinkpr.net> schreef in bericht
>I have 2 hd (1 w/ Vista & 1 w/ XP) when the machine boots it ask for
>Windows
> Vista OS or Early version of Windows to boot from.
> The problem is , I need to take out the hd that have Vista, but when I try
> to boot with the hd that have XP the machine see no hd in the bios and
> doesn't boot. Do a miss something in relation with the dual boot????
>
> any help
> ivan
> thanks

ivanvalles

Re: how to break a dual boot...
both are in the same IDE channel (xp is master & vista slave) in the other
IDE I have 2 dvd's

thanks for the reply
"koze" <koze@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> Indeed, all the files needed for booting both OSes are on the same

primairy
> HD.
> If you take that out you have to create a new bootmgr and bootsector for

the
> other HD.
> On which controller is the second HD connected? if this is not set correct
> in the BIOS you have no bootable device.
> Ko
>
> "ivanvalles" <tallerborinquen@onelinkpr.net> schreef in bericht
> >I have 2 hd (1 w/ Vista & 1 w/ XP) when the machine boots it ask for
> >Windows
> > Vista OS or Early version of Windows to boot from.
> > The problem is , I need to take out the hd that have Vista, but when I

try
> > to boot with the hd that have XP the machine see no hd in the bios and
> > doesn't boot. Do a miss something in relation with the dual boot????
> >
> > any help
> > ivan
> > thanks

koze

Re: how to break a dual boot...
If the Vista has to get out and isnot going back in you have to reset the
bootsector/bootmanager from the first drive back to XP only.
That can be done trough a elevated cmd prompt from Vista or a Cmd prompt
from XP no problem.
Put the DVD from Vista in the drive open a cmd prompt (preferred in XP) type
in there:

X:\boot\bootsect /nt52 c: /force (X=driveletter dvd)

You will receive a error (hence the /force) while the bootsector is in use,
after a reboot you have only the XP as a boot option, now it will work again
as before the install from Vista.

> both are in the same IDE channel (xp is master & vista slave) in the other
> IDE I have 2 dvd's
>
> thanks for the reply
> "koze" <koze@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
>> Indeed, all the files needed for booting both OSes are on the same

> primairy
>> HD.
>> If you take that out you have to create a new bootmgr and bootsector for

> the
>> other HD.
>> On which controller is the second HD connected? if this is not set
>> correct
>> in the BIOS you have no bootable device.
>> Ko
>>
>> "ivanvalles" <tallerborinquen@onelinkpr.net> schreef in bericht
>> >I have 2 hd (1 w/ Vista & 1 w/ XP) when the machine boots it ask for
>> >Windows
>> > Vista OS or Early version of Windows to boot from.
>> > The problem is , I need to take out the hd that have Vista, but when I

> try
>> > to boot with the hd that have XP the machine see no hd in the bios and
>> > doesn't boot. Do a miss something in relation with the dual boot????
>> >
>> > any help
>> > ivan
>> > thanks

=?Utf-8?B?SGF6aW1hbg==?=

Re: how to break a dual boot...
I rather to suggest you to boot your winXP setup CD and repair your xp
installation files on your hdd with it's windows repair in setup options,
this will take more time but at least it works.

"koze" wrote:

> If the Vista has to get out and isnot going back in you have to reset the
> bootsector/bootmanager from the first drive back to XP only.
> That can be done trough a elevated cmd prompt from Vista or a Cmd prompt
> from XP no problem.
> Put the DVD from Vista in the drive open a cmd prompt (preferred in XP) type
> in there:
>
> X:\boot\bootsect /nt52 c: /force (X=driveletter dvd)
>
> You will receive a error (hence the /force) while the bootsector is in use,
> after a reboot you have only the XP as a boot option, now it will work again
> as before the install from Vista.
>
> Ko.
>
> "ivanvalles" <tallerborinquen@onelinkpr.net> schreef in bericht
> > both are in the same IDE channel (xp is master & vista slave) in the other
> > IDE I have 2 dvd's
> >
> > thanks for the reply
> > "koze" <koze@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> >> Indeed, all the files needed for booting both OSes are on the same

> > primairy
> >> HD.
> >> If you take that out you have to create a new bootmgr and bootsector for

> > the
> >> other HD.
> >> On which controller is the second HD connected? if this is not set
> >> correct
> >> in the BIOS you have no bootable device.
> >> Ko
> >>
> >> "ivanvalles" <tallerborinquen@onelinkpr.net> schreef in bericht

> > try

=?Utf-8?B?SGF6aW1hbg==?=

Re: how to break a dual boot...
before you done the step that i tell you before this make sure you take out
your vista HDD first.