Can't install any downloaded software

ghettodub

Can't install any downloaded software
Any time I try to install any downloaded software, for example Winamp,
Firefox, etc, it does not work. I will get a popup that says "(program name)
has stopped working. A problem has caused the program to stop working
correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is
available."

It has done this with every file I've downloaded and tried to install. Also,
some MSI files I've downloaded (turbotax update, etc.) do nothing after I try
to run them. I've verified that the software is compatible with Vista (per
the places I've downloaded them from), turned off UAC, disabled Windows
Firewall and Defender, Run as Admin, and even tried in Safe Mode. Also, I've
run Windows Update and it says there are no available updates.

System info:
Vista Home Basic
Intel dual 2.66 GhZ
2 gig ram

jmgator

RE: Can't install any downloaded software

I am having the same problem - details are:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: GameSpot_Download_Manager[1].exe
Application Version: 0.183.0.0
Application Timestamp: 473efcbf
Fault Module Name: GameSpot_Download_Manager[1].exe
Fault Module Version: 0.183.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 473efcbf
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0000353d
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: bbac
Additional Information 2: 2d077c9b1bb993eab7ccb231c16fa6f1
Additional Information 3: 997f
Additional Information 4: bd13d9cc77da4759cd86547a99f7cd28

John Barnes

Re: Can't install any downloaded software
Did you do a clean installation or an upgrade from XP?

"ghettodub" <ghettodub@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Any time I try to install any downloaded software, for example Winamp,
> Firefox, etc, it does not work. I will get a popup that says "(program
> name)
> has stopped working. A problem has caused the program to stop working
> correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is
> available."
>
> It has done this with every file I've downloaded and tried to install.
> Also,
> some MSI files I've downloaded (turbotax update, etc.) do nothing after I
> try
> to run them. I've verified that the software is compatible with Vista (per
> the places I've downloaded them from), turned off UAC, disabled Windows
> Firewall and Defender, Run as Admin, and even tried in Safe Mode. Also,
> I've
> run Windows Update and it says there are no available updates.
>
> System info:
> Vista Home Basic
> Intel dual 2.66 GhZ
> 2 gig ram

ghettodub

Re: Can't install any downloaded software
Clean brand new install on a new pc

"John Barnes" wrote:

> Did you do a clean installation or an upgrade from XP?
>
> "ghettodub" <ghettodub@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Any time I try to install any downloaded software, for example Winamp,
> > Firefox, etc, it does not work. I will get a popup that says "(program
> > name)
> > has stopped working. A problem has caused the program to stop working
> > correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is
> > available."
> >
> > It has done this with every file I've downloaded and tried to install.
> > Also,
> > some MSI files I've downloaded (turbotax update, etc.) do nothing after I
> > try
> > to run them. I've verified that the software is compatible with Vista (per
> > the places I've downloaded them from), turned off UAC, disabled Windows
> > Firewall and Defender, Run as Admin, and even tried in Safe Mode. Also,
> > I've
> > run Windows Update and it says there are no available updates.
> >
> > System info:
> > Vista Home Basic
> > Intel dual 2.66 GhZ
> > 2 gig ram

Ghettodub

Re: Can't install any downloaded software
Anyone have any ideas or solutions on this one yet? Tried reinstalling Vista
yesterday and am having the same issue, so I'm thinking that I have a bad
copy of Vista. Tried calling the place I bought it, and they're telling me I
have to pay for support now.

"ghettodub" wrote:

> Clean brand new install on a new pc
>
> "John Barnes" wrote:
>
> > Did you do a clean installation or an upgrade from XP?
> >
> > "ghettodub" <ghettodub@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Any time I try to install any downloaded software, for example Winamp,
> > > Firefox, etc, it does not work. I will get a popup that says "(program
> > > name)
> > > has stopped working. A problem has caused the program to stop working
> > > correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is
> > > available."
> > >
> > > It has done this with every file I've downloaded and tried to install.
> > > Also,
> > > some MSI files I've downloaded (turbotax update, etc.) do nothing after I
> > > try
> > > to run them. I've verified that the software is compatible with Vista (per
> > > the places I've downloaded them from), turned off UAC, disabled Windows
> > > Firewall and Defender, Run as Admin, and even tried in Safe Mode. Also,
> > > I've
> > > run Windows Update and it says there are no available updates.
> > >
> > > System info:
> > > Vista Home Basic
> > > Intel dual 2.66 GhZ
> > > 2 gig ram

John Barnes

Re: Can't install any downloaded software
Since Vista lays down an image file an checks it, you are not installing a
bad copy. You said you installed fresh over the weekend. Did you install
anything after installing Vista? Any problems with programs from CD's?
Have you tried downloading a program on another computer and then trying to
install it?

> Anyone have any ideas or solutions on this one yet? Tried reinstalling
> Vista
> yesterday and am having the same issue, so I'm thinking that I have a bad
> copy of Vista. Tried calling the place I bought it, and they're telling me
> have to pay for support now.
>
> "ghettodub" wrote:
>
>> Clean brand new install on a new pc
>>
>> "John Barnes" wrote:
>>
>> > Did you do a clean installation or an upgrade from XP?

SeanD

Re: Can't install any downloaded software
I have the same computer. This has been a problem since it was new. I
temporarily solved the problem by installing Free Download Manager. It could
download files without corrupting them. Unfortunately, I had a recent
problem that required me to uninstall Free Download Manager, and the problem
is back. I re-installed FDM, but I still have the download issues. If you
find a solution, please let me know because I am stumped by this one.

"John Barnes" wrote:

> Since Vista lays down an image file an checks it, you are not installing a
> bad copy. You said you installed fresh over the weekend. Did you install
> anything after installing Vista? Any problems with programs from CD's?
> Have you tried downloading a program on another computer and then trying to
> install it?
>
> "Ghettodub" <Ghettodub@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Anyone have any ideas or solutions on this one yet? Tried reinstalling
> > Vista
> > yesterday and am having the same issue, so I'm thinking that I have a bad
> > copy of Vista. Tried calling the place I bought it, and they're telling me
> > have to pay for support now.
> >
> > "ghettodub" wrote:
> >
> >> Clean brand new install on a new pc

John Barnes

Re: Can't install any downloaded software
Same computer? All I see is a CPU. Have you tried to download on another
computer and installing on the problem one. At least that would narrow it
somewhat. Are you downloading directly or thru a router.

"SeanD" <SeanD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have the same computer. This has been a problem since it was new. I
> temporarily solved the problem by installing Free Download Manager. It
> could
> download files without corrupting them. Unfortunately, I had a recent
> problem that required me to uninstall Free Download Manager, and the
> problem
> is back. I re-installed FDM, but I still have the download issues. If
> you
> find a solution, please let me know because I am stumped by this one.
>
> "John Barnes" wrote:
>
>> Since Vista lays down an image file an checks it, you are not installing
>> bad copy. You said you installed fresh over the weekend. Did you
>> install
>> anything after installing Vista? Any problems with programs from CD's?
>> Have you tried downloading a program on another computer and then trying
>> install it?
>>
>> "Ghettodub" <Ghettodub@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Anyone have any ideas or solutions on this one yet? Tried reinstalling
>> > Vista
>> > yesterday and am having the same issue, so I'm thinking that I have a
>> > bad
>> > copy of Vista. Tried calling the place I bought it, and they're telling
>> > me
>> > have to pay for support now.

Ghettodub

Re: Can't install any downloaded software
No problem with programs from CD. I will try to download something from work,
put it on a USB drive, and then try it from home.

"John Barnes" wrote:

> Since Vista lays down an image file an checks it, you are not installing a
> bad copy. You said you installed fresh over the weekend. Did you install
> anything after installing Vista? Any problems with programs from CD's?
> Have you tried downloading a program on another computer and then trying to
> install it?
>
> "Ghettodub" <Ghettodub@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Anyone have any ideas or solutions on this one yet? Tried reinstalling
> > Vista
> > yesterday and am having the same issue, so I'm thinking that I have a bad
> > copy of Vista. Tried calling the place I bought it, and they're telling me
> > have to pay for support now.
> >
> > "ghettodub" wrote:
> >
> >> Clean brand new install on a new pc

Ghettodub

Re: Can't install any downloaded software
So i downloaded iTunes from work, installed it on a USB drive, and it
installed fine on my pc... Hmm, what next?