Had a computer shop rebuild MY WIFE's computer...

Rod Davies

Had a computer shop rebuild MY WIFE's computer...
Due to HDD failure.

THEY rebuilt it under the name of RoB Davies, NOT even my name of RoD
Davies, and in any event it should have been under my wife's name. So I am
apparently the defualt user.

I created an Admin user under wife's name of Lenore, added a Folder under
her name in the Users Folder, but can I delete the ROB Davies User??? There
are the folders under RoB Davies of Contacts, Music, Pictures, Downoads,
Videos, Searches etc. Even though I copied all these folders to my Wifes
User Folder, and despite there being nothiing in any of these folders as its
a brand new built PC, RoB Davies User folders are over 1GB in size, and my
wifes about 20KB in total, so there are hidden system files in my
incorrectly 'built' user folder...right? But Can I delete the Rob Davies
folder??

Vista Home Premiuim...sorry for few spelling mistakes, in rush!

Tks
Rod

roy69

Re: Had a computer shop rebuild MY WIFE's computer...

you need to delete the old user in control panel. I assume you know how
to do this as you added a new user under your wifes name.

Just in case look here;

'Tutorials - Vista Forums'
(http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/?ltr=U&sort=&order=)

Brink has done alot of very good tutorials.

--
roy69

- Core 2 Quad Q6600
- Abit IP35 Pro
- 4 x 1GB OcUK PC2-6400 C5 800 MHZ Dual Channel
- Leadtek GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB GDDR3
- CiBox TFT 22" Widescreen LCD Panel. 1680 x 1050
- Creative X-Fi 7.1 PCI-E
- Antec 900 Ultimate Gaming Case
- Creative Inspire 7.1 T7900 Speakers
- Corsair HX 620W ATX2.2 Modular SLI Complient PSU
Rod Davies

Re: Had a computer shop rebuild MY WIFE's computer...
Tks...I'll have a read thru this and the other areas and see if/what to
do...at least you have pointed me in the right direction!!!

Rgds
Rod

"roy69" <roy69.3475d6@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> you need to delete the old user in control panel. I assume you know how
> to do this as you added a new user under your wifes name.
>
> Just in case look here;
>
> 'Tutorials - Vista Forums'
> (http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/?ltr=U&sort=&order=)
>
> Brink has done alot of very good tutorials.
>

> --
> roy69
>
> - Core 2 Quad Q6600
> - Abit IP35 Pro
> - 4 x 1GB OcUK PC2-6400 C5 800 MHZ Dual Channel
> - Leadtek GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB GDDR3
> - CiBox TFT 22" Widescreen LCD Panel. 1680 x 1050
> - Creative X-Fi 7.1 PCI-E
> - Antec 900 Ultimate Gaming Case
> - Creative Inspire 7.1 T7900 Speakers
> - Corsair HX 620W ATX2.2 Modular SLI Complient PSU

Rod Davies

Re: Had a computer shop rebuild MY WIFE's computer...
....sorry, should have mentioned...there is NO reference to a User Account
under Rod (or RoB !) Davies in Control Panel's User Accounts area,,,

just the FOLDER under C:\Users|RoB Davies - THATS the folder I want to
delete so it does not list as a USER in C:|Users - but the folder in
C:\Users\RoB Davies containing Saved Searches/Videos/Pictures etc which are
NIL...it is a fresh PC that she is using....but C:\Users\Lenore has the same
Folders (Search, Pictures etc) again empty but about 1GB less in size than
the 'empty' C:\Users\RoB Davies !!!

Rgds
Rod

"roy69" <roy69.3475d6@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> you need to delete the old user in control panel. I assume you know how
> to do this as you added a new user under your wifes name.
>
> Just in case look here;
>
> 'Tutorials - Vista Forums'
> (http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/?ltr=U&sort=&order=)
>
> Brink has done alot of very good tutorials.
>

> --
> roy69
>
> - Core 2 Quad Q6600
> - Abit IP35 Pro
> - 4 x 1GB OcUK PC2-6400 C5 800 MHZ Dual Channel
> - Leadtek GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB GDDR3
> - CiBox TFT 22" Widescreen LCD Panel. 1680 x 1050
> - Creative X-Fi 7.1 PCI-E
> - Antec 900 Ultimate Gaming Case
> - Creative Inspire 7.1 T7900 Speakers
> - Corsair HX 620W ATX2.2 Modular SLI Complient PSU

Tom Lake

"Rod Davies" <ldavies@tpgi.com.au> wrote in message

> I created an Admin user under wife's name of Lenore, added a Folder under
> her name in the Users Folder, but can I delete the ROB Davies User???
> There are the folders under RoB Davies of Contacts, Music, Pictures,
> Downoads, Videos, Searches etc. Even though I copied all these folders to
> my Wifes User Folder, and despite there being nothiing in any of these
> folders as its a brand new built PC, RoB Davies User folders are over 1GB
> in size, and my wifes about 20KB in total, so there are hidden system
> files in my incorrectly 'built' user folder...right? But Can I delete the
> Rob Davies folder??

Log on as Lenore, then take ownership of the RoD user folder. Give full
access to Lenore. You'll be able to delete the folder then.

Tom Lake

Rod Davies

Re: Had a computer shop rebuild MY WIFE's computer...
Tks Tom!

Rgds
Rod
"Tom Lake" <toml_12953@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Rod Davies" <ldavies@tpgi.com.au> wrote in message
>
>> I created an Admin user under wife's name of Lenore, added a Folder under
>> her name in the Users Folder, but can I delete the ROB Davies User???
>> There are the folders under RoB Davies of Contacts, Music, Pictures,
>> Downoads, Videos, Searches etc. Even though I copied all these folders to
>> my Wifes User Folder, and despite there being nothiing in any of these
>> folders as its a brand new built PC, RoB Davies User folders are over 1GB
>> in size, and my wifes about 20KB in total, so there are hidden system
>> files in my incorrectly 'built' user folder...right? But Can I delete the
>> Rob Davies folder??

> Log on as Lenore, then take ownership of the RoD user folder. Give full
> access to Lenore. You'll be able to delete the folder then.
>
> Tom Lake

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

Re: Had a computer shop rebuild MY WIFE's computer...

"Rod Davies" <ldavies@tpgi.com.au> wrote in message news:48A7193A-28CF-4F89-862F-936AB46F4636@microsoft.com...
> Due to HDD failure.
>
> THEY rebuilt it under the name of RoB Davies, NOT even my name of RoD
> Davies, and in any event it should have been under my wife's name. So I am
> apparently the defualt user.
>
> I created an Admin user under wife's name of Lenore, added a Folder under
> her name in the Users Folder,

The folder should have been automatically added by the system upon creation
of the new user identity. It *needs* to be created by the OS.

> but can I delete the ROB Davies User???

I would probably just re-load the OS again to keep things straight.

> are the folders under RoB Davies of Contacts, Music, Pictures, Downoads,
> Videos, Searches etc. Even though I copied all these folders to my Wifes
> User Folder,

There's a chance that these 'creations' will not register themselves properly,
and in the event you use system tools to migrate at a later date they may not
be recognized.

By trashing system folders from the directory tree rather than allowing the OS
and / or the registry to compile or delete, you may be creating a bug that will
hang with you until the OS is properly loaded.

Perhaps a real pro can address this concern.

DM

Rod Davies

Part 2 of "Had a computer shop rebuild MY WIFE's computer..."
Hi,

Many Tks to all who have responded and helped me in this. It's
infuriating...

To recap, I had a computer shop rebuild my wifes computer. They built it
under the name RoB Davies...my name is RoD Davies. It should have been under
her name, Lenore Davies. To "fix" this error, I added a User in Control
Panel/User Accounts under the name Lenore and gave her admin rights and
Deleted the User in Control Panle\User Accounts of Rob Davies... or I
THOUGHT I HAD... I then had to MANUALLY ADD the User "Lenore" to C:\Users

However, in C:\Users there is STILL RoB Davies with all folders (music,
saved searches etc) of about 1gb in size and a User Lenore, same folders
(music et al) of about 40KB. I have done some checking and all the Registry
Keys are under Rob Davies.

THINKING BACK, perhaps instead of ADDING a User in Control Panel under
Lenore, maybe I CHANGED the name of the Account from Rob Davies to Lenore.
If I did, perhaps Vista H/Premium DOES NOT amend the C:\User (name) , it
leaves the C:\User as RoB Davies...if you get my drift. Which is why I had
to manually add a Lenore to C:\Users???

Is that possible? And what would therefore happen if I:

1. MANUALLY Deleted the C:\User\Lenore that I manually added.
2. Went to Control Panel\User Accounts and Added another User, say LDavies
with admin rights (which WOULD have VISTA create the User in C:\Users as
C:\Users\LDavies)
3. RENAME the account in Control Panel\User Accounts presently named Lenore
BACK to RoB Davies and then
4. DELETE the User RoB Davies in Control Panel\User Accounts which then
might Delete the User in C:\Users\Rob Davies

Any thoughts on this?

Rgds again
Rod