Can't Install Downloaded Applications

Crayz

Can't Install Downloaded Applications
Hi! I'm having problems installing applications in VISTA Ultimate 32-bit or
64-bit.

After I do a clean install of VISTA Ultimate, I can't install any
applications if I've downloaded them from the Internet through VISTA. As an
example, if I go to the Adobe website, and download Adobe Reader for VISTA, I
can't install it. When I try to install it, VISTA tells me that it's an
unsigned application, and asks if I really want to install it. Once I click
"RUN ANYWAY", VISTA gives me a dialog box that says APPCRASH with the module
causing the error as Adobe Reader.

If I download Adobe Reader onto my laptop (which runs Windows XP Pro), and I
transfer it to a USB drive, I can install it in VISTA from the USB drive.

I'm installing these applications from an Administrator account, and I have
UAC turned off. I thought it was a conflict with one of the drivers, so I've
tried installing programs before I install drivers for my graphics card and
sound card. It still doesn't work.

I thought a Windows Update would fix the issue. After running Windows
Update two or three times to get everything updated, I still can't install
downloaded programs.

Please help. I'm at my wit's end, and I have a support call into Microsoft.
I've done 10+ clean installs, and I still haven't gotten any resolution.
Unfortunately, their support is from India, and they have never heard of this
issue. I've been going back and forth with them for the last two weeks.
Finally, MS Support tells me that they are seeing this crop up in other
systems too, so I'm not the only one.

Please help!

Here's my system config:

ASUS P5E MB (I had also tried using an ASUS P5NT-Deluxe MB also)
eVGA 8800 GT Graphics Card
Corsair XMS 2GB module
Maxtor 500GB SATA HD
OEM DVD Reader/Writer
Kevin

Re: Can't Install Downloaded Applications

"Crayz" <Crayz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi! I'm having problems installing applications in VISTA Ultimate 32-bit
> or
> 64-bit.
>
> After I do a clean install of VISTA Ultimate, I can't install any
> applications if I've downloaded them from the Internet through VISTA. As
> an
> example, if I go to the Adobe website, and download Adobe Reader for
> VISTA, I
> can't install it. When I try to install it, VISTA tells me that it's an
> unsigned application, and asks if I really want to install it. Once I
> click
> "RUN ANYWAY", VISTA gives me a dialog box that says APPCRASH with the
> module
> causing the error as Adobe Reader.
>
> If I download Adobe Reader onto my laptop (which runs Windows XP Pro), and
> transfer it to a USB drive, I can install it in VISTA from the USB drive.
>
> I'm installing these applications from an Administrator account, and I
> have
> UAC turned off. I thought it was a conflict with one of the drivers, so
> I've
> tried installing programs before I install drivers for my graphics card
> and
> sound card. It still doesn't work.
>
> I thought a Windows Update would fix the issue. After running Windows
> Update two or three times to get everything updated, I still can't install
> downloaded programs.
>
> Please help. I'm at my wit's end, and I have a support call into
> Microsoft.
> I've done 10+ clean installs, and I still haven't gotten any resolution.
> Unfortunately, their support is from India, and they have never heard of
> this
> issue. I've been going back and forth with them for the last two weeks.
> Finally, MS Support tells me that they are seeing this crop up in other
> systems too, so I'm not the only one.
>
> Please help!
>
> Here's my system config:
>
> ASUS P5E MB (I had also tried using an ASUS P5NT-Deluxe MB also)
> eVGA 8800 GT Graphics Card
> Corsair XMS 2GB module
> Maxtor 500GB SATA HD
> OEM DVD Reader/Writer

I don't know if this will help, but you indicate that you have been doing
clean installations of Vista. Always install the driver for the chipset
first, before doing anything else. After installing the Intel Chipset
driver (assuming your processor is an Intel model) you can then install the
other drivers for the video card, Ethernet, sound card and so on in just
about any order.

I have never heard of an issue like yours. Other than snafus with firewalls
and their permissions, which get sorted out pretty quickly as soon as you
realize the firewall is blocking stuff it shouldn't be blocking. And I
would guess that you have checked that possibility.