reinstalled vista-key wont work

Sean

reinstalled vista-key wont work
I recently had to to re-install vista, my comp was infested with viruses and
they had written themselves over my sytem restore points, so I went ahead and
just reinstalled vista.

Now thought its asking me to activate vista. I keep trying to enter the key
but I get an error saying that key is only for upgrades, not fresh installs.
I dont know what to do, I have upgraded my comp significantly since I
originally got vista so that may be why but now what? Im not dropping 59
bucks to talk to someone from tech support and Im sure as heck not buying a
new key.
peter

Re: reinstalled vista-key wont work
You could have just Virus Scanned to get rid of the Virus and then deleted
all restore points.
You need a Phone Activation....the option is there under Activation.....
peter

"Sean" <Sean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I recently had to to re-install vista, my comp was infested with viruses
> and
> they had written themselves over my sytem restore points, so I went ahead
> and
> just reinstalled vista.
>
> Now thought its asking me to activate vista. I keep trying to enter the
> key
> but I get an error saying that key is only for upgrades, not fresh
> installs.
> I dont know what to do, I have upgraded my comp significantly since I
> originally got vista so that may be why but now what? Im not dropping 59
> bucks to talk to someone from tech support and Im sure as heck not buying
> new key.

Dwarf

RE: reinstalled vista-key wont work
Hi Sean,

From your post I infer that you have an upgrade version of Vista. The
information from my post 'Clean Install Windows Vista Using Upgrade Media',
also in this newsgroup (dated 9/21/2007), will help you to solve your
problem. Note that if you cannot activate Vista over the Internet you will
have to use the phone option. If this is the case, then the first part of
this option will also fail. Don't worry, just stay on the line and you will
be put through to an operator who will be able to assist you. Note that this
is a freephone / toll-free number.
Dwarf

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...9-5eb74dcf2be7

"Sean" wrote:

> I recently had to to re-install vista, my comp was infested with viruses and
> they had written themselves over my sytem restore points, so I went ahead and
> just reinstalled vista.
>
> Now thought its asking me to activate vista. I keep trying to enter the key
> but I get an error saying that key is only for upgrades, not fresh installs.
> I dont know what to do, I have upgraded my comp significantly since I
> originally got vista so that may be why but now what? Im not dropping 59
> bucks to talk to someone from tech support and Im sure as heck not buying a
> new key.

Bob Dorn

Re: reinstalled vista-key wont work
I have an upgrade version, but according to CDW since its an upgrade it is
NOT ment to boot, while you can install from with xp, you can NOT do an
clean install media that doesnt boot. Now I tried that and it is true,
while I created my own iso to boot, it didnt come that way.
"Dwarf" <Dwarf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Sean,
>
> From your post I infer that you have an upgrade version of Vista. The
> information from my post 'Clean Install Windows Vista Using Upgrade
> Media',
> also in this newsgroup (dated 9/21/2007), will help you to solve your
> problem. Note that if you cannot activate Vista over the Internet you will
> have to use the phone option. If this is the case, then the first part of
> this option will also fail. Don't worry, just stay on the line and you
> will
> be put through to an operator who will be able to assist you. Note that
> this
> is a freephone / toll-free number.
> Dwarf
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...9-5eb74dcf2be7
>
> "Sean" wrote:
>
>> I recently had to to re-install vista, my comp was infested with viruses
>> and
>> they had written themselves over my sytem restore points, so I went ahead
>> and
>> just reinstalled vista.
>>
>> Now thought its asking me to activate vista. I keep trying to enter the
>> key
>> but I get an error saying that key is only for upgrades, not fresh
>> installs.
>> I dont know what to do, I have upgraded my comp significantly since I
>> originally got vista so that may be why but now what? Im not dropping 59
>> bucks to talk to someone from tech support and Im sure as heck not buying
>> new key.

Daniel

Re: reinstalled vista-key wont work
This seems a bit strange, the upgrade is meant to boot so you can use the
trouble shooting bits.

Did set your bios to boot to the DVD drive, did you watch the boot cycle and
press a key to boot from the DVD when asked??

cheers

Daniel
"Bob Dorn" <dornr@matc.edu> wrote in message
>I have an upgrade version, but according to CDW since its an upgrade it is
>NOT ment to boot, while you can install from with xp, you can NOT do an
>clean install media that doesnt boot. Now I tried that and it is true,
>while I created my own iso to boot, it didnt come that way.
> "Dwarf" <Dwarf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Sean,
>>
>> From your post I infer that you have an upgrade version of Vista. The
>> information from my post 'Clean Install Windows Vista Using Upgrade
>> Media',
>> also in this newsgroup (dated 9/21/2007), will help you to solve your
>> problem. Note that if you cannot activate Vista over the Internet you
>> will
>> have to use the phone option. If this is the case, then the first part of
>> this option will also fail. Don't worry, just stay on the line and you
>> will
>> be put through to an operator who will be able to assist you. Note that
>> this
>> is a freephone / toll-free number.
>> Dwarf
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...9-5eb74dcf2be7
>>
>> "Sean" wrote:
>>
>>> I recently had to to re-install vista, my comp was infested with viruses
>>> and
>>> they had written themselves over my sytem restore points, so I went
>>> ahead and
>>> just reinstalled vista.
>>>
>>> Now thought its asking me to activate vista. I keep trying to enter the
>>> key
>>> but I get an error saying that key is only for upgrades, not fresh
>>> installs.
>>> I dont know what to do, I have upgraded my comp significantly since I
>>> originally got vista so that may be why but now what? Im not dropping 59
>>> bucks to talk to someone from tech support and Im sure as heck not
>>> buying a
>>> new key.

Dwarf

Re: reinstalled vista-key wont work
Hi Bob,

Whilst you are technically correct in what you are saying, this in actual
fact is not my experience with upgrade versions. All the upgrade versions
that I have had (XP Home, XP Pro and Vista) have been able to boot directly
off the disk without any trouble. I have in the past clean installed ALL of
these operating systems. For the XP versions, this simply meant inserting my
copy of Windows 98SE when requested. For Vista, I simply followed the
instructions given in my post, reference to which is given elsewhere in this
thread.
Dwarf

"Bob Dorn" wrote:

> I have an upgrade version, but according to CDW since its an upgrade it is
> NOT ment to boot, while you can install from with xp, you can NOT do an
> clean install media that doesnt boot. Now I tried that and it is true,
> while I created my own iso to boot, it didnt come that way.

wash127

"Sean" wrote:

> I recently had to to re-install vista, my comp was infested with viruses and
> they had written themselves over my sytem restore points, so I went ahead and
> just reinstalled vista.
>
> Now thought its asking me to activate vista. I keep trying to enter the key
> but I get an error saying that key is only for upgrades, not fresh installs.
> I dont know what to do, I have upgraded my comp significantly since I
> originally got vista so that may be why but now what? Im not dropping 59
> bucks to talk to someone from tech support and Im sure as heck not buying a
> new key.

wash127

RE: reinstalled vista-key wont work
Put your windows cd in and do an upgrade within windows.
Enter the key when asked and activate vista.