During install "required CD/DVD drive device driver missing"

noacloud

During install "required CD/DVD drive device driver missing"
When trying to install Vista Home Pro, early in the installation a dialog box
appears stating that a CD/DVD rom driver is missing and that i have to
install it before i can do anything else. It gives me the option to install
the driver by browsing the drives on my computer.

I thought that nearly all DVD rom devices were just universal. The device
seems to be working fine considering that if it wasn't I probably wouldn't be
able to have gotten this far as the only DVD rom drive in my computer is the
one running the vista program install in the first place.

I guess my question is...how can i get around this, is there a place where i
can just find a driver to install by using a flash drive. As i can tell there
is no way to get past this screen without quitting the entire installation.
Any thoughts?

BTW this is a new build I booted directly from the Vista installation disk.
The HDD does have an old XP install on it but i planned on just deleting it
when it gave me the option to do so, but haven't gotten that far yet. Thanks
for any help.
jpye11

Re: During install "required CD/DVD drive device driver missing"

Hey - I have exactly the same problem as you... did you every find a way
to sort it out??
To anyone reading this thread - please could you help me also!

--
jpye11
jpye11's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/jpye11.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Paul Montgomery

Re: During install "required CD/DVD drive device driver missing"
On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 23:20:21 +0530, jpye11
<jpye11.3dzqnb@DoNotSpam.com> wrote:

>Hey - I have exactly the same problem as you... did you every find a way
>to sort it out??

That person left the room in JANUARY.

>To anyone reading this thread - please could you help me also!

You first. Explain your problem in detail. DETAIL.
jpye11

Re: During install "required CD/DVD drive device driver missing"

I have just completed a new build and am attempting to install vista
ultimate 64bit. I am setting up a 3 drive raid0 array and my dvd drive
uses an sata connection. During installation just after I select the
language the message "a required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing.
If you have a driver floppy disk, cd dvd or usb flash drive please
insert it now" appears. I can't get past this point as I don't know what
driver it wants!
My current plan is to try an older ide dvd drive which i can do on
friday... But if anyone has any ideas please help!
thanks...

Specs:
MOBO: DFI lanparty x38-t2r
Q6600
4gb g.skill 1066mhz
dvd - samsung sh-203n
hd 4870 crossfire
3X 500gb samsung spinpoint f1's
creative xtreme gamer sound card
(all at stock)

--
jpye11
jpye11's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/jpye11.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-set...all/905611.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

jpye11

Re: During install "required CD/DVD drive device driver missing"

Update - after fiddling around I changed the ide controller from raid
mode to AHCI setting and vista did boot up properly but the raid array
was destroyed. I think the whole thing is to do with setting up raid
with an sata dvd drive involved?

--
jpye11
jpye11's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/jpye11.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-set...all/905611.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

danielgr

noacloud;592417 Wrote:
> When trying to install Vista Home Pro, early in the installation a
> dialog box
> appears stating that a CD/DVD rom driver is missing and that i have to
> install it before i can do anything else. It gives me the option to
> install
> the driver by browsing the drives on my computer.
>
> I thought that nearly all DVD rom devices were just universal. The
> device
> seems to be working fine considering that if it wasn't I probably
> wouldn't be
> able to have gotten this far as the only DVD rom drive in my computer
> is the
> one running the vista program install in the first place.
>
> I guess my question is...how can i get around this, is there a place
> where i
> can just find a driver to install by using a flash drive. As i can tell
> there
> is no way to get past this screen without quitting the entire
> installation.
> Any thoughts?
>
> BTW this is a new build I booted directly from the Vista installation
> disk.
> The HDD does have an old XP install on it but i planned on just
> deleting it
> when it gave me the option to do so, but haven't gotten that far yet.
> Thanks
> for any help.

Hi, just wanted to share my experience after reading lots of threads on
this issue and considering buying a new drive.

In the end, I *simply turn off IDE emulation for SATA drives on my
motherboard and the problem was solved*.
I guess it depends on each manufacturer and BIOS, but I guess this can
be the problem for some people.

In my Nvidia730i based Gigabyte GA-E7-AUM DS2H I can choose to use
Nvidia's SATA chip in IDE, RAID, or AHCI. I was getting the "driver
problem" when using "IDE" mode, but it disapeared when I put it back in
AHCI.
I guess that using the SATA chipset on IDE was interferring with the
IDE channel for the DVD drive (my unit is IDE and rather old).

--
danielgr
hamoodhassan

Re: During install "required CD/DVD drive device driver missing"

^ I am gonna try this and let you all know! I hope this forum helps me.

--
hamoodhassan
swango2002

Re: During install "required CD/DVD drive device driver missing"

Ok guys I searched and searched because like a dummy I erased vista to
reinstall but put in a 32 bit instead of x64.... Long story short I
formatted my raid0 drive and had no OS.

For those of you that have the gateway systems that you *can not turn
off the IDE emulation or AHCI *follow these directions. I have heard
that those methods enable writing to hard drive but my system did not
have these options. RAID mode was always on unless you disable SATA and
then, well your hard drive wont show because its a SATA drive.

When I tried to put in the new OS (tried xp x64 and Vista x86 and x64)
they all said the same thing. cd\dvd driver was missing. tried to load
cd drivers but of course the cd drive couldnt be read and since a lot of
new computers dont have floppy discs well I had a problem. It was 4 am
and I dont use flash drives so that was not an option either.

What I did do was simple (after days of reading) I got my external USB
hard drive and loaded my drivers on this and plugged it into the USB
port AFTER the system booted to the Vista CD. I did it first a couple
times but the external kept showing as my master. Once you get the
master to show where it should you can plug the USB. The drivers needed
are NOT the cd\dvd drivers at all but the RAID CONTROLLER and THE SATA
ATA CONTROLLER drivers. There was 3 all together but I cant remember the
3rd. If you check the "hide irrellevent drivers" you just highlight all
the rest and click next. then your hard drive will show in the list of
"where would you like to install vista" For anyone who (like myself)
dont know where to get the RAID drivers sheck the chipset driver package
for your computer. Mine was a gateway lx 6810-01 and it was in .exe so I
used 7 zip to extract the .exe into a folder and moved it to the
external HDD. you can use a flash drive if you have one. My folder was
only 200 megs so it doesnt have to be big. I know this thread is old but
I googled my problem and this thread came up and I read it multiple
times. Someone else might do the same and I hope this helps. Anybody has
anymore questions about THIS problem leave them here Ill try to help. I
have worked on my friends and family's computers for 9 years now but AM
NOT an expert in any way. Just good at figuring stuff out Thanks to the
experts who make these forums...

--
swango2002
swango2002's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/88591.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-set...all/905611.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

sebastien1234

Re: During install "required CD/DVD drive device driver missing"

hi there im having the same issues. so i tried loading the chipset
drivers as said above and saved onto a disk but still says the same
thing. is stating that no drive is found. Now i know that my drive is
compatible as i had vista on here when i bought the laptop but when
tried just to restore the darn thing it removed my os. So I downloaded
and used windows 7 to get up and running again but after a while now 7
is crashing on me... long story sort of short it wont let me reinstall
vista on here the laptop is an acer aspire piece of crap 4530
was running windows vista 64 when bought from store. please
help!!!!!!!!!!! i have backed up 9million times as to save all my stuff
so not worried to lose anything just want a stable computer
again!!!!!!!!
thanks for any help

--
sebastien1234