HDD upgrade - Vista re-install or use a backup image?

Sirboy

HDD upgrade - Vista re-install or use a backup image?

Hi, I was thinking of getting a WD Raptor 150 gb hdd. I currently have
my Vista x64 installed on my WD 500 gb hdd. If I purchase Acronis True
Image 11, then can I just image my current setup and restore the image
to the WD Raptor drive or would I need to install Vista from scratch?
I'd then lke use my 500 gb hdd as data storage.

--
Sirboy
Brink

Re: HDD upgrade - Vista re-install or use a backup image?

Hi Sirboy,

With Acronis True Image, you can create a bootable installing backup
DVD to do just what you want. Just be sure to remove Vista from your old
drive, and make sure the new one is set as the main active boot drive.
It should not be a problem.

Shawn

--
Brink

'*Vista Forums*'
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Sirboy

Re: HDD upgrade - Vista re-install or use a backup image?

Hi Shawn,

Thanks for the reply and it is exactly what I want to hear.
Looks like I'm going shopping :geek:

Vince

--
Sirboy
Dustin Harper

Re: HDD upgrade - Vista re-install or use a backup image?
You can make an image (or clone) the drive to the new one with no issues.
Make sure you can boot from the new drive before formatting and using the
old drive as storage. Also, you might have to reactivate Windows with a
phone activation after installing the new hard drive.

Good luck!

--
Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com

"Sirboy" <Sirboy.342ks2@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> Hi, I was thinking of getting a WD Raptor 150 gb hdd. I currently have
> my Vista x64 installed on my WD 500 gb hdd. If I purchase Acronis True
> Image 11, then can I just image my current setup and restore the image
> to the WD Raptor drive or would I need to install Vista from scratch?
> I'd then lke use my 500 gb hdd as data storage.
>

> --
> Sirboy

Sirboy

Re: HDD upgrade - Vista re-install or use a backup image?

Hey Dustin, thanks for the tip. Sounds like a good idea. I'll probably
backup my current system first and then try your idea.

Vince

--
Sirboy
Brink

Re: HDD upgrade - Vista re-install or use a backup image?

Sirboy,

If you do need to do a phone activation when you put Vista on the new
hard drive, then this will show you how if needed.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/84...sta-phone.html

Shawn

--
Brink

'*Vista Forums*'
*Please post feedback to help others.*
gerryf

Re: HDD upgrade - Vista re-install or use a backup image?
just one thing to add--are they both the same harddrive type?

If the 500 is an ide drive and the raptor an sata type, you may need to
install the sata controller driver before making the image....

That is the only wrinkly I foresee.

"Sirboy" <Sirboy.342mv3@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> Hi Shawn,
>
> Thanks for the reply and it is exactly what I want to hear.
> Looks like I'm going shopping :geek:
>
> Vince
>
> Brink;592334 Wrote:
>> Hi Sirboy,
>>
>> With Acronis True Image, you can create a bootable installing backup
>> DVD to do just what you want. Just be sure to remove Vista from your old
>> drive, and make sure the new one is set as the main active boot drive.
>> It should not be a problem.
>>
>> Shawn

> --
> Sirboy

Sirboy

Re: HDD upgrade - Vista re-install or use a backup image?

My 500 is a SATA drive, so I'm good there and I've not bought the
Raptor. Wanted to make sure I can do it w/o re-installing but if I have
to re-install then I will.

Thanks for thinking about the possible wrinkly

--
Sirboy
John Barnes

Re: HDD upgrade - Vista re-install or use a backup image?
After making your copy, you should unplug the original system drive, then
plug the copy drive into the same MOBO connection as the original drive.
Boot up, then plug your old drive back in (hot plug ok). Then delete the
old copy of Vista. You will probably have to reactivate.