Repair Vista without install DVD?

romanom

Repair Vista without install DVD?
I have an HP notebook with Vista Home Premium and after running SFC I have a
few corrupted files.

Question is there a way to bring in the original files when the OEM didn't
send an install DVD or will offer one at all?

All I have is the recovery partition with the option to "repair to original
factory condition" which from what I gather means erasing all my settings and
personal files.

I have made a recovery disc (from the partition) and I have the "Anytime
Upgrade DVD," and I'm curious is there any way to access the upgrade DVD to
get to those files or even do a real repair of Vista without losing settings
and personal files?

philo

Re: Repair Vista without install DVD?

"romanom" <romanom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have an HP notebook with Vista Home Premium and after running SFC I have

> few corrupted files.
>
> Question is there a way to bring in the original files when the OEM didn't
> send an install DVD or will offer one at all?
>
> All I have is the recovery partition with the option to "repair to

original
> factory condition" which from what I gather means erasing all my settings

and
> personal files.
>
> I have made a recovery disc (from the partition) and I have the "Anytime
> Upgrade DVD," and I'm curious is there any way to access the upgrade DVD

> get to those files or even do a real repair of Vista without losing

settings
> and personal files?

I'd use *extreme* caution when using SFC.
To be honest with you...I don't know if the previous problems with SFC have
been fixed with Vista...
but my guess is that they have not been.

SFC (at least in the past) usually did way more harm than good.

First off..SFC stores system files in it's archive. Unless the archive
itself is updated each time Windows itself is updated...
SFC will recognize the *newer* files as corrupted...and if you opt to fix
them...you will replace the updated system files with their older version.

I'd leave SFC completely alone and use "system restore" if you run into any
major problems

Tom Ferguson

Re: Repair Vista without install DVD?
At this time, you can use your recovery disk

or back up your user files, repair to original factory condition, go to
Microsoft update and jump through those hoops, restore user files

or purchase a retail version, back up user files, wipe the HD, install
retail version, &c.

Tom
MSMVP 1998-2007

"romanom" <romanom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an HP notebook with Vista Home Premium and after running SFC I have
> few corrupted files.
>
> Question is there a way to bring in the original files when the OEM didn't
> send an install DVD or will offer one at all?
>
> All I have is the recovery partition with the option to "repair to
> original
> factory condition" which from what I gather means erasing all my settings
> and
> personal files.
>
> I have made a recovery disc (from the partition) and I have the "Anytime
> Upgrade DVD," and I'm curious is there any way to access the upgrade DVD
> get to those files or even do a real repair of Vista without losing
> settings
> and personal files?

Curious

Re: Repair Vista without install DVD?
Have you tried running check disk to fix the corrupted files?

My computer/ right click on the drive/properties/Tools menu
"romanom" <romanom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an HP notebook with Vista Home Premium and after running SFC I have
> few corrupted files.
>
> Question is there a way to bring in the original files when the OEM didn't
> send an install DVD or will offer one at all?
>
> All I have is the recovery partition with the option to "repair to
> original
> factory condition" which from what I gather means erasing all my settings
> and
> personal files.
>
> I have made a recovery disc (from the partition) and I have the "Anytime
> Upgrade DVD," and I'm curious is there any way to access the upgrade DVD
> get to those files or even do a real repair of Vista without losing
> settings
> and personal files?

mee mee

Re: Repair Vista without install DVD?

I am having problems too. I have corrupted files that are slowing the
entire vista down. I need a back up disc of some kind, to reinstall the
vista. Can you or someone help me?

"mee mee" <mee mee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I am having problems too. I have corrupted files that are slowing the
> entire vista down. I need a back up disc of some kind, to reinstall the
> vista. Can you or someone help me?
> "philo" wrote:

About all you can do for starters is try a "system restore"

mee mee

Re: Repair Vista without install DVD?
I did try to restore. Didn't work. It restored, but still having major
problems. Where do I buy a restore disk?

> I did try to restore. Didn't work. It restored, but still having major
> problems. Where do I buy a restore disk?

Contact the manufacturer of you machine

Twayne

Re: Repair Vista without install DVD?
> I have an HP notebook with Vista Home Premium and after running SFC I
> have a few corrupted files.
>
> Question is there a way to bring in the original files when the OEM
> didn't send an install DVD or will offer one at all?
>
> All I have is the recovery partition with the option to "repair to
> original factory condition" which from what I gather means erasing
> all my settings and personal files.
>
> I have made a recovery disc (from the partition) and I have the
> "Anytime Upgrade DVD," and I'm curious is there any way to access the
> upgrade DVD to get to those files or even do a real repair of Vista
> without losing settings and personal files?

Uhh, once you get things straightened out again, consider this a warning
that you should be BACKING UP YOUR DATA! You spent the money on Vista,
now spend a couple dollars on an imaging program for your backup needs.

You should probably read your documentation a little closer; there are
usually two methods of recovery; one which should not damage data, and
the other which definitely will remove all your data.
A backup is ALWAYS necessary before messing with anything to do with
the OS in order to avoid problems such as this.

Best of luck,
--
Twayne

Tired of MS Office and their shananigans?
Try this free replacement:
http://www.openoffice.org

Twayne

Re: Repair Vista without install DVD?
> "romanom" <romanom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I have an HP notebook with Vista Home Premium and after running SFC
>> I have a few corrupted files.
>>
>> Question is there a way to bring in the original files when the OEM
>> didn't send an install DVD or will offer one at all?
>>
>> All I have is the recovery partition with the option to "repair to
>> original factory condition" which from what I gather means erasing
>> all my settings and personal files.
>>
>> I have made a recovery disc (from the partition) and I have the
>> "Anytime Upgrade DVD," and I'm curious is there any way to access
>> the upgrade DVD to get to those files or even do a real repair of
>> Vista without losing settings and personal files?
>>

> I'd use *extreme* caution when using SFC.
> To be honest with you...I don't know if the previous problems with
> SFC have been fixed with Vista...
> but my guess is that they have not been.
>
> SFC (at least in the past) usually did way more harm than good.
>
> First off..SFC stores system files in it's archive. Unless the archive
> itself is updated each time Windows itself is updated...
> SFC will recognize the *newer* files as corrupted...and if you opt to
> fix them...you will replace the updated system files with their older
> version.
>
> I'd leave SFC completely alone and use "system restore" if you run
> into any major problems

Well, we now know what YOU would do! And what your opinion of SFC is.
None of which had anything to do with the OP's problem or assistance for
him in any way. Did you forget part of your post? Or was that all you
had to say?