Reinstall

Ellen

Reinstall
i own a PC where Windows Vista was originally installed on it, but the XP OS
was installed over it. I want to reinstall Vista.
The issue is that when i purchased the machine in never received a systems
disk so all i have is the product key sticker that's located underneath the
PC it's self.

How can i go about reinstalling the Vista OS without purchasing a whole new
one?
Richard G. Harper

Re: Reinstall
You'll need to contact the PC manufacturer and see if you can get a restore
CD or DVD set to restore the system to the way you bought it.

"Ellen" <Ellen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i own a PC where Windows Vista was originally installed on it, but the XP
>OS
> was installed over it. I want to reinstall Vista.
> The issue is that when i purchased the machine in never received a systems
> disk so all i have is the product key sticker that's located underneath
> the
> PC it's self.
>
> How can i go about reinstalling the Vista OS without purchasing a whole
> new
> one?

John Barnett MVP

Re: Reinstall
When you purchased the PC you should have had either a recovery DVD or here
should be a recovery partition on the hard drive which will allow you to
re-install Vista. If there is no recovery partition on the hard drive (check
your PC manual for help on how to re-install the operating system from a
recovery partition) and you have not received any recovery DVD then contact
the PC manufacturer to see if they can provide you with a recovery DVD.

John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
Windows - Shell/User

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"Ellen" <Ellen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i own a PC where Windows Vista was originally installed on it, but the XP
>OS
> was installed over it. I want to reinstall Vista.
> The issue is that when i purchased the machine in never received a systems
> disk so all i have is the product key sticker that's located underneath
> the
> PC it's self.
>
> How can i go about reinstalling the Vista OS without purchasing a whole
> new
> one?

Zach J.

Re: Reinstall
Hello!

I have a similar question, if this topic is still alive.
I have just purchased a new laptop with Vista Home Premium installed. Of
course, no system disk, only recovery. But! I'd like to reinstall Vista
without some of its components ("nlite" it) to gain more performance.
As i have a legal product key, can i e.g. barrow a Vista disk from someone
else, nlite it, and install with my own product key?
If not, is there any other way to do this kind of reinstall without paying
for another Vista (which of course i'd like to skip...)?

Thanks,
Zach

"John Barnett MVP" wrote:

> When you purchased the PC you should have had either a recovery DVD or here
> should be a recovery partition on the hard drive which will allow you to
> re-install Vista. If there is no recovery partition on the hard drive (check
> your PC manual for help on how to re-install the operating system from a
> recovery partition) and you have not received any recovery DVD then contact
> the PC manufacturer to see if they can provide you with a recovery DVD.

> John Barnett MVP
> Associate Expert
> Windows - Shell/User
>
> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

> reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable for
> any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the
> mail/post..
>
> "Ellen" <Ellen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >i own a PC where Windows Vista was originally installed on it, but the XP
> >OS
> > was installed over it. I want to reinstall Vista.
> > The issue is that when i purchased the machine in never received a systems
> > disk so all i have is the product key sticker that's located underneath
> > the
> > PC it's self.
> >
> > How can i go about reinstalling the Vista OS without purchasing a whole
> > new
> > one?

DL

Re: Reinstall
The key will be tied to the recovery disk
Why not get the system how you would like it, then Image it? - Acronis True
Image

"Zach J." <Zach J.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello!
>
> I have a similar question, if this topic is still alive.
> I have just purchased a new laptop with Vista Home Premium installed. Of
> course, no system disk, only recovery. But! I'd like to reinstall Vista
> without some of its components ("nlite" it) to gain more performance.
> As i have a legal product key, can i e.g. barrow a Vista disk from someone
> else, nlite it, and install with my own product key?
> If not, is there any other way to do this kind of reinstall without paying
> for another Vista (which of course i'd like to skip...)?
>
> Thanks,
> Zach
>

> "John Barnett MVP" wrote:
>
>> When you purchased the PC you should have had either a recovery DVD or
>> here
>> should be a recovery partition on the hard drive which will allow you to
>> re-install Vista. If there is no recovery partition on the hard drive
>> (check
>> your PC manual for help on how to re-install the operating system from a
>> recovery partition) and you have not received any recovery DVD then
>> contact
>> the PC manufacturer to see if they can provide you with a recovery DVD.

>> John Barnett MVP
>> Associate Expert
>> Windows - Shell/User
>>
>> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
>> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

>> for
>> any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of
>> the
>> use of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this
>> mail/post..
>>
>> "Ellen" <Ellen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >i own a PC where Windows Vista was originally installed on it, but the
>> >XP
>> >OS
>> > was installed over it. I want to reinstall Vista.
>> > The issue is that when i purchased the machine in never received a
>> > systems
>> > disk so all i have is the product key sticker that's located underneath
>> > the
>> > PC it's self.
>> >
>> > How can i go about reinstalling the Vista OS without purchasing a whole
>> > new
>> > one?

John Barnett MVP

Re: Reinstall
The product key will be tied to an OEM copy and, in return, to your PC. The
product key is not going to work on another copy of Vista.

It is annoying when the PC manufacturer installs all this 'rubbish' which he
assures the user that he/she will need. Personally, when I buy a new PC the
first thing I do is remove the operating system and install a full retail
copy. The retail copy of the operating system allows me to install it on any
machine (so long as I abide by the EULA (End User Licence Agreement);
whereas an OEM installed by the PC manufacturer is rather limiting.

Perhaps the easiest option would be to 'uninstall' all the software you
don't want (If any Norton software is installed I suggest you Google for the
Norton Removal Tool in order to remove I, rather than relying upon Norton's
own uninstall program)) Once you have removed everything, open Internet
Options in Control panel and delete all browsing history, then do a complete
virus check of your system, followed by a complete defragmentation and then
'image' the drive using something like Acronis True Image (this I the
application I use) and either image to a second hard drive or a set of DVD's

John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience