Can you use USB devices in a VM?

Danno

Can you use USB devices in a VM?
I have read in previous posts that the USB parts are not available in a VM.
I am wanting to run XP in a VM on a Vista computer, but I have a USB
keyboard and mouse. If I understand the previous posts, I will not be able
to access these devices. Is this true? If so, is there a way to work
around this (besides having two KB's and mice)?

What I want to accomplish is to be able to utilize XP and Vista on the same
machine. From what I have read in previous posts, it seems that a VM is a
better solution than a dual boot. I am just looking for a way to run older
apps on my Vista machine (Office Pro XP, Office Pro '97, and some old games
from the as far back as the W98 days [and yes all software is legit]). So
far I have been able to run all the W2K apps that I want, but I am just
starting to move from W2K to Vista (Basic and Home Premium [two different
computers]), and I foresee some problems in my future. BTW, I am able to
run the old W98 apps/games on W2K by using the Compatibility tool.

Thanks in advance,
D K Hacker

Rick Rogers

Re: Can you use USB devices in a VM?
Hi,

USB support in Microsoft's Virtual PC applies to direct hardware access by
the VM to control things like scanners, printers, and other peripherals.
That is not supported. Your USB mouse and keyboard will be fine as they will
still be controlled by the host machine, not the VM.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Danno" <rubyjack@frontiernet.net> wrote in message
>I have read in previous posts that the USB parts are not available in a VM.
>I am wanting to run XP in a VM on a Vista computer, but I have a USB
>keyboard and mouse. If I understand the previous posts, I will not be able
>to access these devices. Is this true? If so, is there a way to work
>around this (besides having two KB's and mice)?
>
> What I want to accomplish is to be able to utilize XP and Vista on the
> same machine. From what I have read in previous posts, it seems that a VM
> is a better solution than a dual boot. I am just looking for a way to run
> older apps on my Vista machine (Office Pro XP, Office Pro '97, and some
> old games from the as far back as the W98 days [and yes all software is
> legit]). So far I have been able to run all the W2K apps that I want, but
> I am just starting to move from W2K to Vista (Basic and Home Premium [two
> different computers]), and I foresee some problems in my future. BTW, I
> am able to run the old W98 apps/games on W2K by using the Compatibility
> tool.
>

> Thanks in advance,
> D K Hacker

mikeyhsd

Re: Can you use USB devices in a VM?
supposedly the keyboard and mouse are migrated into the VM.
you need to insure you have enabled the Legacy USB support in your bios.

other usb devices are not.
MS is the only one apparently that does not see the need to support usb devices in virtual environment.

mikeyhsd@sprintpcs.com

[...]

Dave

Re: Can you use USB devices in a VM?
I think MS VPC 2007 will pass your keyboard & mouse thru to the VM. It does
mine, but I don't have a USB keyboard. It won't let you use other USB
ports. VMware will let you access USB ports. I've used both, but not very
much, and not in a while.
There's a newsgroup for VPC, and the folks there can help you out more than
I can.
microsoft.public.virtualpc

--
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

"Danno" <rubyjack@frontiernet.net> wrote in message
> I have read in previous posts that the USB parts are not available in a
> VM. I am wanting to run XP in a VM on a Vista computer, but I have a USB
> keyboard and mouse. If I understand the previous posts, I will not be
> able to access these devices. Is this true? If so, is there a way to
> work around this (besides having two KB's and mice)?
>
> What I want to accomplish is to be able to utilize XP and Vista on the
> same machine. From what I have read in previous posts, it seems that a VM
> is a better solution than a dual boot. I am just looking for a way to run
> older apps on my Vista machine (Office Pro XP, Office Pro '97, and some
> old games from the as far back as the W98 days [and yes all software is
> legit]). So far I have been able to run all the W2K apps that I want, but
> I am just starting to move from W2K to Vista (Basic and Home Premium [two
> different computers]), and I foresee some problems in my future. BTW, I
> am able to run the old W98 apps/games on W2K by using the Compatibility
> tool.
>

> Thanks in advance,
> D K Hacker

Danno

Re: Can you use USB devices in a VM?
Thanks to Rick, mikey, and you Dave.

This information is VERY helpful. I think that VM is the way to go for me,
to use dual OS's. And why didn't I think to look for a VM newsgroup?

D K Hacker