Upgrade install from DVD

Daniel

Upgrade install from DVD
Hi

my PC crashed and will not boot, the NTOSKRNL.EXE is missing or corrupt,
repair from the DVD does nor fix the problem.

I need to reinstall but the only option I get when bootin from the DVD is to
"Install from Windows"
but Windows will not boot up.
What can I do?

thanks

Daniel

Rick Rogers

Re: Upgrade install from DVD
Hi Daniel,

If you have an upgrade key, it can't be used to install by booting the DVD.
Just don't put in any key and select the proper version from the next menu.
When installation completes and you can load Vista, reinsert the DVD while
fully booted and do an in-place upgrade, this time using your product key.
Basically, you will need to install twice, then activate the new
installation by phone (your key will be reported as being in use, and you
will not be able to do the automated activation).

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Daniel" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> my PC crashed and will not boot, the NTOSKRNL.EXE is missing or corrupt,
> repair from the DVD does nor fix the problem.
>
> I need to reinstall but the only option I get when bootin from the DVD is
> to "Install from Windows"
> but Windows will not boot up.
> What can I do?
>
> thanks
>
> Daniel

Daniel

Re: Upgrade install from DVD
Rick

thanks for your quick response, I believe that will delete my current
installation, where an upgrade would not.

So I think I need to do an upgrade not a clean install?

Is this correct?

thanks

Daniel
> Hi Daniel,
>
> If you have an upgrade key, it can't be used to install by booting the
> DVD. Just don't put in any key and select the proper version from the next
> menu. When installation completes and you can load Vista, reinsert the DVD
> while fully booted and do an in-place upgrade, this time using your
> product key. Basically, you will need to install twice, then activate the
> new installation by phone (your key will be reported as being in use, and
> you will not be able to do the automated activation).
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Daniel" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> my PC crashed and will not boot, the NTOSKRNL.EXE is missing or corrupt,
>> repair from the DVD does nor fix the problem.
>>
>> I need to reinstall but the only option I get when bootin from the DVD is
>> to "Install from Windows"
>> but Windows will not boot up.
>> What can I do?
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> Daniel

Rick Rogers

Re: Upgrade install from DVD
Hi,

Provided you do not format, it will not lose existing data (programs will
need to be reinstalled). If you cannot load the existing system, you cannot
do an upgrade.

--

> Rick
>
> thanks for your quick response, I believe that will delete my current
> installation, where an upgrade would not.
>
> So I think I need to do an upgrade not a clean install?
>
> Is this correct?
>
> thanks
>
> Daniel
>> Hi Daniel,
>>
>> If you have an upgrade key, it can't be used to install by booting the
>> DVD. Just don't put in any key and select the proper version from the
>> next menu. When installation completes and you can load Vista, reinsert
>> the DVD while fully booted and do an in-place upgrade, this time using
>> your product key. Basically, you will need to install twice, then
>> activate the new installation by phone (your key will be reported as
>> being in use, and you will not be able to do the automated activation).
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Daniel" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> my PC crashed and will not boot, the NTOSKRNL.EXE is missing or corrupt,
>>> repair from the DVD does nor fix the problem.
>>>
>>> I need to reinstall but the only option I get when bootin from the DVD
>>> is to "Install from Windows"
>>> but Windows will not boot up.
>>> What can I do?
>>>
>>> thanks