Installed new Video Card... can't activate windows

Vistim

Installed new Video Card... can't activate windows
I replaced my video card and after doing so, I noticed that the 'Automatic
Activation occurs in 3 days' message was in the Welcome Centre.

I clicked it and now it tells me that my product key is already active on
another machine! It is isn't - it's the same machine. All I did was
replace my video card.

How do I resolve this?

Rick Rogers

Re: Installed new Video Card... can't activate windows
Hi,

You'll need to use the phone activation method. When you call, if the
automatic version fails just hold the line for a real person. This sometimes
happens when hardware is replaced as it no long matches the initial
activation hash code.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Vistim" <Vistim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I replaced my video card and after doing so, I noticed that the 'Automatic
> Activation occurs in 3 days' message was in the Welcome Centre.
>
> I clicked it and now it tells me that my product key is already active on
> another machine! It is isn't - it's the same machine. All I did was
> replace my video card.
>
> How do I resolve this?

philo

> Hi,
>
> You'll need to use the phone activation method. When you call, if the
> automatic version fails just hold the line for a real person. This

sometimes
> happens when hardware is replaced as it no long matches the initial
> activation hash code.

Yes...that's right...phone activation.

But by just changing a video card it does not seem right that a reactivation
would be necessary.

manimbored

Re: Installed new Video Card... can't activate windows

It shouldn't...I didn't have to reactivate after a mobo switch. It was
the same model, totally different serial number and BIOS version.

Who knows? Attempt reactivation via phone, see if it works.

--
manimbored
philo

"manimbored" <manimbored.33x8f2@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> It shouldn't...I didn't have to reactivate after a mobo switch. It was
> the same model, totally different serial number and BIOS version.
>
> Who knows? Attempt reactivation via phone, see if it works.

Even though the idea of re-activation is a PITA...
I recently upgraded someone's machine and had to do my very first phone
re-activation.
It really was no big deal and only took a few minutes...

but still a PITA!