Is your Vista slow to re-establish the network after wake from sleep?

turnstyle

Is your Vista slow to re-establish the network after wake from sleep?
Hi all, just wondering if a problem I'm having is limited to me, or if
it's a general Vista thing.

If you put your Vista PC (I'm on a laptop) to sleep, then wake it, and
(right after it wakes) try to visit a Web site -- does it take a
little while before that works for you?

With XP / Win200 I can immediately get online after it wakes, but with
Vista I have to wait -- so I'm curious to know if others have the same
problem, or if there's something funky about my setup.

So, if you have a sec -- it would be great if you might put yours to
sleep, wake it, and then try to visit a site -- does that work right
away for you, or do you have to wait too?

Thnanks! -Scott
Kerry Brown

Re: Is your Vista slow to re-establish the network after wake from sleep?
"turnstyle" <turnstyle@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all, just wondering if a problem I'm having is limited to me, or if
> it's a general Vista thing.
>
> If you put your Vista PC (I'm on a laptop) to sleep, then wake it, and
> (right after it wakes) try to visit a Web site -- does it take a
> little while before that works for you?
>
> With XP / Win200 I can immediately get online after it wakes, but with
> Vista I have to wait -- so I'm curious to know if others have the same
> problem, or if there's something funky about my setup.
>
> So, if you have a sec -- it would be great if you might put yours to
> sleep, wake it, and then try to visit a site -- does that work right
> away for you, or do you have to wait too?
>
> Thnanks! -Scott

This is dependent on many things. The first thing to check is your NIC
driver. Do you have the latest driver?

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

turnstyle

Re: Is your Vista slow to re-establish the network after wake fromsleep?
> This is dependent on many things. The first thing to check is your NIC
> driver. Do you have the latest driver?

fwiw, it's a Thinkpad with the Intel B/G/N wi-fi card (the 4965AGN) --
according to the IBM/Lenovo site, it is up-to-date.

However your question made me think to try the same with the wired
connetion -- so I disabled the wi-fi, plugged in the Ethernet -- and
that worked as expected (ie, I'm online as soon as it wakes).

So this only happens for me over wi-fi -- anything else I might try?

Do you (or anybody else here) have a Vista laptop with wi-fi? If you
wake from sleep, are you immediately online, or do you have to wait
before it comes back?

Thanks kindly! -Scott

>> This is dependent on many things. The first thing to check is your NIC
>> driver. Do you have the latest driver?

> fwiw, it's a Thinkpad with the Intel B/G/N wi-fi card (the 4965AGN) --
> according to the IBM/Lenovo site, it is up-to-date.
>
> However your question made me think to try the same with the wired
> connetion -- so I disabled the wi-fi, plugged in the Ethernet -- and
> that worked as expected (ie, I'm online as soon as it wakes).
>
> So this only happens for me over wi-fi -- anything else I might try?
>
> Do you (or anybody else here) have a Vista laptop with wi-fi? If you
> wake from sleep, are you immediately online, or do you have to wait
> before it comes back?
>
> Thanks kindly! -Scott

You may want to try the latest driver direct from Intel. Intel seems to be
having a problem with drivers for that chipset. I have an Acer laptop that
uses a Broadcom wireless chipset. I had to try several drivers before I
found one that worked properly when resuming from sleep. The one I'm using
is actually an older driver from last June.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

turnstyle

Re: Is your Vista slow to re-establish the network after wake fromsleep?
Just curious -- if you sleep/wake your Acer with the wi-fi, does it re-
establish the network immediately? (ie, it would be interesting to
know if this happens for all Vista wi-fi connections, or just the
4965AGN)

Thanks! -Scott

> Just curious -- if you sleep/wake your Acer with the wi-fi, does it re-
> establish the network immediately? (ie, it would be interesting to
> know if this happens for all Vista wi-fi connections, or just the
> 4965AGN)
>
> Thanks! -Scott

From sleep it establishes immediately. From hibernation I usually have to do
a manual re-connect.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

turnstyle

Re: Is your Vista slow to re-establish the network after wake fromsleep?
Thanks for trying that -- so at least that means that Vista itself is
capable of re-establishing the network reasonably fast after it wakes
from sleep. (I just timed mine and it takes another 30-35 seconds
after I get the desktop).

Apart from updating the wi-fi driver, is there anything else that you
might suggest?

thanks again, -Scott

> Thanks for trying that -- so at least that means that Vista itself is
> capable of re-establishing the network reasonably fast after it wakes
> from sleep. (I just timed mine and it takes another 30-35 seconds
> after I get the desktop).
>
> Apart from updating the wi-fi driver, is there anything else that you
> might suggest?

Make sure you have all the reliability updates installed.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...soft.com&meta=

Or wait for SP1 which includes all of the updates.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

Curious

Re: Is your Vista slow to re-establish the network after wake from sleep?
How are you connected to the internet? If using a router make sure it is
set up to refresh its connection to your ISP every 5 minutes or so, so that
the connection will not drop when you are not actively connected to the
router.
"turnstyle" <turnstyle@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for trying that -- so at least that means that Vista itself is
> capable of re-establishing the network reasonably fast after it wakes
> from sleep. (I just timed mine and it takes another 30-35 seconds
> after I get the desktop).
>
> Apart from updating the wi-fi driver, is there anything else that you
> might suggest?
>
> thanks again, -Scott

turnstyle

Re: Is your Vista slow to re-establish the network after wake fromsleep?
Thanks,

But it's not likely the router or wi-fi adapter -- I do have other
laptops here on wi-fi that do re-establish the network immediately
upon wake (one XP with B/G, and one Win2k with B).

I've only seen this with the Vista with 4965AGN...

-Scott