RAID 0 Setup on Vista x64 Home Premium?

HiroT

RAID 0 Setup on Vista x64 Home Premium?

Hi, I'm attempting to set up a new PC with RAID 0 using Vista x64 Home
Edition Premium. However, I'm having no luck. (Hours of scouring various
forums have yielded nothing as well.)

I've set up 2 RAID 0 partitions across my 2 SATA drives using Intel's
Matrix Storage Manager. (CTRL + I thing at boot)
When I load up Vista for installation, it recognizes the partitions but
refuses to let me install on them. I get an alert at the bottom of the
screen saying that my "...computer's hardware may not support booting to
this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the
computer's BIOS menu."

I'm not completely clear on what this means, but after entering BIOS, I
have my drive configuration set to configure SATA as RAID.

Attempting to continue the installation yields something like "Windows
cannot find a drive that is suitable for installation" (not verbatim,
sorry.)

I have downloaded all of Intel's drivers for my motherboard and have
even hunted down the RAID driver for my HDDs. I put all of those files
onto a USB drive, but Vista doesn't seem to recognize any of them.

Unfortunately my knowledge of computers stops around here, and I'm
unable to think of any possible solutions.

Am I doing something wrong? Please let me know if there is something I
may have overlooked.

If it helps, my computer's specs are as follows:
Intel DX38BT Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.0 GhZ Processor
2x WD Caviar 320AAKS SATA drives.

Thanks.

--
HiroT
Tom Ferguson

Re: RAID 0 Setup on Vista x64 Home Premium?
To install Vista or other OS on a RAID which is set up in the computer's
BIOS, a type of "software-implemented" RAID, you first must enter the proper
settings in the BIOS setup. Then, as a step in installing the Vista
software, you must load the drivers for the RAID. Apparently, you have done
the BIOS setup but do not seem to have done the second.

After you boot from the Vista DVD, proceed carefully so you can spot the
point in the setup where you have the option to load the RAID drivers from
floppy, USB thumb drive or other suitable media.

For details, do a Google search on "Install Vista on RAID" without the
quotes.

E.G. http://vistasupport.mvps.org/install...ta_drivers.htm

Tom
MSMVP 1998-2007

"HiroT" <HiroT.33te80@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> Hi, I'm attempting to set up a new PC with RAID 0 using Vista x64 Home
> Edition Premium. However, I'm having no luck. (Hours of scouring various
> forums have yielded nothing as well.)
>
> I've set up 2 RAID 0 partitions across my 2 SATA drives using Intel's
> Matrix Storage Manager. (CTRL + I thing at boot)
> When I load up Vista for installation, it recognizes the partitions but
> refuses to let me install on them. I get an alert at the bottom of the
> screen saying that my "...computer's hardware may not support booting to
> this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the
> computer's BIOS menu."
>
> I'm not completely clear on what this means, but after entering BIOS, I
> have my drive configuration set to configure SATA as RAID.
>
> Attempting to continue the installation yields something like "Windows
> cannot find a drive that is suitable for installation" (not verbatim,
> sorry.)
>
> I have downloaded all of Intel's drivers for my motherboard and have
> even hunted down the RAID driver for my HDDs. I put all of those files
> onto a USB drive, but Vista doesn't seem to recognize any of them.
>
> Unfortunately my knowledge of computers stops around here, and I'm
> unable to think of any possible solutions.
>
> Am I doing something wrong? Please let me know if there is something I
> may have overlooked.
>
> If it helps, my computer's specs are as follows:
> Intel DX38BT Motherboard
> Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.0 GhZ Processor
> 2x WD Caviar 320AAKS SATA drives.
>
> Thanks.
>

> --
> HiroT

Noel

Re: RAID 0 Setup on Vista x64 Home Premium?
I have had that problem with Vista. I have 2 HD drives in Raid 0, and one
hard drive non-raid. I f you are only using 2 hard drives in the vista
installation where it ask you which drive to install vista on partion the
raid drive at that point, click new and it will make it a primary drive, then
power down your computer and boot to DVD and when you get to that point again
the message will be gone and Vista has raid drivers on the installation DVD.
It will load them as soon as Vista comes up you can update your raid drivers
then.
--
Quad Core

"Tom Ferguson" wrote:

> To install Vista or other OS on a RAID which is set up in the computer's
> BIOS, a type of "software-implemented" RAID, you first must enter the proper
> settings in the BIOS setup. Then, as a step in installing the Vista
> software, you must load the drivers for the RAID. Apparently, you have done
> the BIOS setup but do not seem to have done the second.
>
> After you boot from the Vista DVD, proceed carefully so you can spot the
> point in the setup where you have the option to load the RAID drivers from
> floppy, USB thumb drive or other suitable media.
>
> For details, do a Google search on "Install Vista on RAID" without the
> quotes.
>
> E.G. http://vistasupport.mvps.org/install...ta_drivers.htm
>
> Tom
> MSMVP 1998-2007
>
> "HiroT" <HiroT.33te80@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
> >
> > Hi, I'm attempting to set up a new PC with RAID 0 using Vista x64 Home
> > Edition Premium. However, I'm having no luck. (Hours of scouring various
> > forums have yielded nothing as well.)
> >
> > I've set up 2 RAID 0 partitions across my 2 SATA drives using Intel's
> > Matrix Storage Manager. (CTRL + I thing at boot)
> > When I load up Vista for installation, it recognizes the partitions but
> > refuses to let me install on them. I get an alert at the bottom of the
> > screen saying that my "...computer's hardware may not support booting to
> > this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the
> > computer's BIOS menu."
> >
> > I'm not completely clear on what this means, but after entering BIOS, I
> > have my drive configuration set to configure SATA as RAID.
> >
> > Attempting to continue the installation yields something like "Windows
> > cannot find a drive that is suitable for installation" (not verbatim,
> > sorry.)
> >
> > I have downloaded all of Intel's drivers for my motherboard and have
> > even hunted down the RAID driver for my HDDs. I put all of those files
> > onto a USB drive, but Vista doesn't seem to recognize any of them.
> >
> > Unfortunately my knowledge of computers stops around here, and I'm
> > unable to think of any possible solutions.
> >
> > Am I doing something wrong? Please let me know if there is something I
> > may have overlooked.
> >
> > If it helps, my computer's specs are as follows:
> > Intel DX38BT Motherboard
> > Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.0 GhZ Processor
> > 2x WD Caviar 320AAKS SATA drives.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >

> > --
> > HiroT

Tom Ferguson

Re: RAID 0 Setup on Vista x64 Home Premium?
Alas, Vista does not have in-box drivers for all RAID implementations.

Tom
MSMVP 1998-2007

"Noel" <Noel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> >
>> > I'm not completely clear on what this means, but after entering BIOS, I
>> > have my drive configuration set to configure SATA as RAID.
>> >
>> > Attempting to continue the installation yields something like "Windows
>> > cannot find a drive that is suitable for installation" (not verbatim,
>> > sorry.)
>> >
>> > I have downloaded all of Intel's drivers for my motherboard and have
>> > even hunted down the RAID driver for my HDDs. I put all of those files
>> > onto a USB drive, but Vista doesn't seem to recognize any of them.
>> >
>> > Unfortunately my knowledge of computers stops around here, and I'm
>> > unable to think of any possible solutions.
>> >
>> > Am I doing something wrong? Please let me know if there is something I
>> > may have overlooked.
>> >
>> > If it helps, my computer's specs are as follows:
>> > Intel DX38BT Motherboard
>> > Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.0 GhZ Processor

Noel

Re: RAID 0 Setup on Vista x64 Home Premium?
Yes, it does not have drivers for Nvidia chipsets. I stay with intels. There
stuff always works.
--
Quad Core

"Tom Ferguson" wrote:

> Alas, Vista does not have in-box drivers for all RAID implementations.
>
> Tom
> MSMVP 1998-2007
>
> "Noel" <Noel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have had that problem with Vista. I have 2 HD drives in Raid 0, and one
> > hard drive non-raid. I f you are only using 2 hard drives in the vista
> > installation where it ask you which drive to install vista on partion the
> > raid drive at that point, click new and it will make it a primary drive,
> > then
> > power down your computer and boot to DVD and when you get to that point
> > again
> > the message will be gone and Vista has raid drivers on the installation
> > DVD.
> > It will load them as soon as Vista comes up you can update your raid
> > drivers
> > then.
> > --
> > Quad Core
> >

> > "Tom Ferguson" wrote:
> >
> >> To install Vista or other OS on a RAID which is set up in the computer's
> >> BIOS, a type of "software-implemented" RAID, you first must enter the
> >> proper
> >> settings in the BIOS setup. Then, as a step in installing the Vista
> >> software, you must load the drivers for the RAID. Apparently, you have
> >> done
> >> the BIOS setup but do not seem to have done the second.
> >>
> >> After you boot from the Vista DVD, proceed carefully so you can spot the
> >> point in the setup where you have the option to load the RAID drivers
> >> from
> >> floppy, USB thumb drive or other suitable media.
> >>
> >> For details, do a Google search on "Install Vista on RAID" without the
> >> quotes.
> >>
> >> E.G. http://vistasupport.mvps.org/install...ta_drivers.htm
> >>
> >> Tom
> >> MSMVP 1998-2007

PNutts

Re: RAID 0 Setup on Vista x64 Home Premium?
My MB is ASUS w/nVidia with four HD (two as RAID0 and two as RAID1). I
install the OS to RAID0 both RAID configurations are recognized at every step
of the install and (of course) on the resulting system using only the Vista
DVD. No additional drivers necessary (unlike XP).

This configuration is why I'm not tri-booting Ubuntu.