update audio driver

djchina74

update audio driver

i,ve got an update for my realtek audio driver at last,well the problem
is i,ve never installed them myself before ,its always been automatic
updates installation. well i,ve tryed and when the install is just about
to start it says after install go back to the origanal driver reinstall
that one to let new driver install complete its install,ok you guessed
it i need help,if you can step by step please and in basic newbie
lanuage. OS vista basic.cheers

--
djchina74
Dwarf

RE: update audio driver
Hi djchina74,

There are 2 main ways that you can update the driver. Note that I am talking
about the AC'97 driver here, although the same principal will apply to other
drivers. The drivers that you download from Realtek are zipped files and you
need to extract them first. The latest version just released is
'6280_Vista_APO' and once you have downloaded them, right click on the folder
(it will have a zip on it) and select 'Extract All...'. Accept the default
location where the files will be extracted. It will be given the same folder
name as the downloaded version, but it will not have a zip on it. Once you
have done this, you are ready to install your new driver. For the first
method, browse to the folder created above. Open this folder (you may need to
open sub-folders as well) and browse for 'setup'. Click this and follow the
on screen instructions. The second method involves the device manager. Open
device manager by clicking the start orb and then selecting 'Control Panel'.
Select 'System and Maintenance' and then 'System'. Under 'Tasks' in the left
hand column, click 'Device Manager'. After providing administrative
credentials, this will open. Scroll down the list and expand 'Sound, video
and game controllers'. Expand this subcategory and select 'Realtek AC'97
Audio'. In the bar at the top of the screen a button will appear with a green
upward pointing arrow. If you move your cursor over this button it will say
'Update driver Software'. Click on it. A screen will come up asking 'How do
you want to search for driver software?' with the first option 'Search
automatically for updated driver software' already highlighted. However,
since you have already downloaded and extracted the driver, you do not want
this option. Instead, click 'Browse my computer for driver software'. Browse
until you come to the folder created above and then click 'Next'. Follow the
instructions on the screen. Whichever method you choose, it is advisable to
restart your machine when prompted.
Dwarf