XP, 2000, and Vista want to check 98 FAT32 partition

Gary Roach

XP, 2000, and Vista want to check 98 FAT32 partition
I've got a multiboot system involving, Windows 98, Windows 2000, XP, and
Vista. For some reason, 2000, Vista and XP want to check the FAT32 partition
on which 98 is installed, even though 98 doesn't feel the need to do this.
Is it safe to allow this? If not, how do I stop them from trying to do the
check (without having to hit a key each time they boot)? I tried doing
scandisk under 98 to clear whatever ckeck disk flag has been set but they
still want to check.

--
Gary Roach
ADB Services

Malke

Re: XP, 2000, and Vista want to check 98 FAT32 partition
Gary Roach wrote:
> I've got a multiboot system involving, Windows 98, Windows 2000, XP, and
> Vista. For some reason, 2000, Vista and XP want to check the FAT32 partition
> on which 98 is installed, even though 98 doesn't feel the need to do this.
> Is it safe to allow this? If not, how do I stop them from trying to do the
> check (without having to hit a key each time they boot)? I tried doing
> scandisk under 98 to clear whatever ckeck disk flag has been set but they
> still want to check.

No, it isn't safe to allow any other operating system's Chkdsk to run on
the Win98 installation. Get yourself a third-party bootloader and hide
the operating systems from each other. BootIT NG has a boot manager and
so does Acronis.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
AJR

Re: XP, 2000, and Vista want to check 98 FAT32 partition
Gary - Malke's recommenddation may be the solution, however (has been a
long time since dealing with 98 in a 2000 network) the problem may be
compatibilty between file systems e.g. 98 FAT32 and NTFS.

You do not state if the network functioned OK at one time or the situtaion
arose at initially setting up the network.

> Gary Roach wrote:
>> I've got a multiboot system involving, Windows 98, Windows 2000, XP, and
>> Vista. For some reason, 2000, Vista and XP want to check the FAT32
>> partition on which 98 is installed, even though 98 doesn't feel the need
>> to do this. Is it safe to allow this? If not, how do I stop them from
>> trying to do the check (without having to hit a key each time they boot)?
>> I tried doing scandisk under 98 to clear whatever ckeck disk flag has
>> been set but they still want to check.
>>

> No, it isn't safe to allow any other operating system's Chkdsk to run on
> the Win98 installation. Get yourself a third-party bootloader and hide the
> operating systems from each other. BootIT NG has a boot manager and so
> does Acronis.
>

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

philo

"AJR" <ajrjdr@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Gary - Malke's recommenddation may be the solution, however (has been a
> long time since dealing with 98 in a 2000 network) the problem may be
> compatibilty between file systems e.g. 98 FAT32 and NTFS.
>
> You do not state if the network functioned OK at one time or the situtaion
> arose at initially setting up the network.

The problem has nothing to to with Fat32 and NTFS.
I used to dual boot win98 and win2k quite a few years...and I never had
Win2k run chkdsk on the
win98 partition. I am sure there is a problem somewhere.

First thing I'd do is run the harddrive manufacturers diagnostic utility on
the drive
to see if it's in good working order

Andy

Re: XP, 2000, and Vista want to check 98 FAT32 partition
On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 13:16:09 -0500, "Gary Roach" <jgroach@cogeco.ca>
wrote:

>I've got a multiboot system involving, Windows 98, Windows 2000, XP, and
>Vista. For some reason, 2000, Vista and XP want to check the FAT32 partition
>on which 98 is installed, even though 98 doesn't feel the need to do this.
>Is it safe to allow this? If not, how do I stop them from trying to do the
>check (without having to hit a key each time they boot)? I tried doing
>scandisk under 98 to clear whatever ckeck disk flag has been set but they
>still want to check.

Scandisk has already shown that there is no problem with the FAT32
file system, so there is no reason to believe that chkdsk will find
anything wrong either. If you're afraid, try running chkdsk c: to see
what chkdsk would do:

E:\Documents and Settings\andy>chkdsk c:
The type of the file system is FAT32.
Volume WIN98DOS created 8/26/2007 3:31 PM
Volume Serial Number is 3023-16F6
Windows is verifying files and folders...
File and folder verification is complete.
Windows has checked the file system and found no problem.
5,114,684 KB total disk space.
141,312 KB in 415 hidden files.
2,608 KB in 582 folders.
4,054,264 KB in 9,309 files.
916,496 KB are available.

4,096 bytes in each allocation unit.
1,278,671 total allocation units on disk.
229,124 allocation units available on disk.

E:\Documents and Settings\andy>

So the answer is yes, it's safe.
Bruce Chambers

philo wrote:
> "AJR" <ajrjdr@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Gary - Malke's recommenddation may be the solution, however (has been a
>> long time since dealing with 98 in a 2000 network) the problem may be
>> compatibilty between file systems e.g. 98 FAT32 and NTFS.
>>
>> You do not state if the network functioned OK at one time or the situtaion
>> arose at initially setting up the network.
>>

> The problem has nothing to to with Fat32 and NTFS.
> I used to dual boot win98 and win2k quite a few years...and I never had
> Win2k run chkdsk on the
> win98 partition. I am sure there is a problem somewhere.
>
> First thing I'd do is run the harddrive manufacturers diagnostic utility on
> the drive
> to see if it's in good working order

I'd have to second this suggestion. I also triple-booted Win98, Win2K,
and WinXP, and experienced no such issues. I'd really give that hard
drive a thorough testing using the manufacturer's diagnostics.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.