Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Motherboard Upgrade without Vista Re-Installation

microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-26-2008
Derek G
 

Posts: n/a
Motherboard Upgrade without Vista Re-Installation
I am considering upgrading my motherboard to one that has a higher
specification than PCI 2.2 to get over a problem with the new 802.11n
Wireless NICs. Can I avoid reinstalling all the system and applications by
keeping the existing system partition? Re-activating Windows should be
legally possible (even by telephone) because my Vista version is a full
retail one. I don't expect it to be that simple, but maybe someone has some
advice about using the Vista Recovery Environment to re-build the HAL, or
erasing certain registry keys in Safe Mode to force Vista to reinstall the
correct system devices. At present, I can not get past booting under Safe
Mode, so there has to be more to the process - if one is achievable. Thanks
for any advice.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01-26-2008
philo
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Motherboard Upgrade without Vista Re-Installation

"Derek G" <DerekG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:3E038EB4-5A1C-40D0-80F9-172D933CED81@microsoft.com...
> I am considering upgrading my motherboard to one that has a higher
> specification than PCI 2.2 to get over a problem with the new 802.11n
> Wireless NICs. Can I avoid reinstalling all the system and applications

by
> keeping the existing system partition? Re-activating Windows should be
> legally possible (even by telephone) because my Vista version is a full
> retail one. I don't expect it to be that simple, but maybe someone has

some
> advice about using the Vista Recovery Environment to re-build the HAL, or
> erasing certain registry keys in Safe Mode to force Vista to reinstall the
> correct system devices. At present, I can not get past booting under Safe
> Mode, so there has to be more to the process - if one is achievable.

Thanks
> for any advice.



Vista is very unlikley to work with a different H/W configuration...
so I recommend backing up all your data...then confirming the backed up data
are uncorrupted.

Once that is assured...
after the mobo is replaced, perform a fresh install of Vista etc.

It will of course need to be re-activated...but unless you have an OEM
version tied to your previous H/W...
you are legally entitled to do so.


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01-26-2008
mikeyhsd
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Motherboard Upgrade without Vista Re-Installation
it is possible to do an inplace upgrade which basically refreshes vista on the hard drive, similar to repair in XP.

replacing the mobo, this would be necessary as a minimum step.



mikeyhsd@sprintpcs.com



"Derek G" <DerekG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3E038EB4-5A1C-40D0-80F9-172D933CED81@microsoft.com...
I am considering upgrading my motherboard to one that has a higher
specification than PCI 2.2 to get over a problem with the new 802.11n
Wireless NICs. Can I avoid reinstalling all the system and applications by
keeping the existing system partition? Re-activating Windows should be
legally possible (even by telephone) because my Vista version is a full
retail one. I don't expect it to be that simple, but maybe someone has some
advice about using the Vista Recovery Environment to re-build the HAL, or
erasing certain registry keys in Safe Mode to force Vista to reinstall the
correct system devices. At present, I can not get past booting under Safe
Mode, so there has to be more to the process - if one is achievable. Thanks
for any advice.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01-26-2008
philo
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Motherboard Upgrade without Vista Re-Installation

"mikeyhsd" <mikeyhsd@sprintpcs.com> wrote in message
news:utIbEkCYIHA.1168@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
it is possible to do an inplace upgrade which basically refreshes vista on
the hard drive, similar to repair in XP.

replacing the mobo, this would be necessary as a minimum step.






Good idea..

Think I'd give that a try before doing something as radical as the fresh
install I had previously suggested


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 01-26-2008
f/fgeorge
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Motherboard Upgrade without Vista Re-Installation
On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 09:03:30 -0600, "philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote:

>
>"mikeyhsd" <mikeyhsd@sprintpcs.com> wrote in message
>news:utIbEkCYIHA.1168@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>it is possible to do an inplace upgrade which basically refreshes vista on
>the hard drive, similar to repair in XP.
>
>replacing the mobo, this would be necessary as a minimum step.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>Good idea..
>
>Think I'd give that a try before doing something as radical as the fresh
>install I had previously suggested
>

We used to do this in XP by choosing the 2ND R as you boot from the
installation cd. The 1st R askks to do a repair and ask for passwords
etc, the 2nd R just does it without all that password stuff. I have
personally done when going from an AMD setup to an Intel setup, and
vice-versa too. It did NOT work in every instance though!
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 01-26-2008
Mick Murphy
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Motherboard Upgrade without Vista Re-Installation
The old XP way of doing an inplace repair(hit R) is not in vista.

It was handy if you changed a motherboard.

They always get rid of the good things!

"f/fgeorge" wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 09:03:30 -0600, "philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote:
>
> >
> >"mikeyhsd" <mikeyhsd@sprintpcs.com> wrote in message
> >news:utIbEkCYIHA.1168@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> >it is possible to do an inplace upgrade which basically refreshes vista on
> >the hard drive, similar to repair in XP.
> >
> >replacing the mobo, this would be necessary as a minimum step.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >Good idea..
> >
> >Think I'd give that a try before doing something as radical as the fresh
> >install I had previously suggested
> >

> We used to do this in XP by choosing the 2ND R as you boot from the
> installation cd. The 1st R askks to do a repair and ask for passwords
> etc, the 2nd R just does it without all that password stuff. I have
> personally done when going from an AMD setup to an Intel setup, and
> vice-versa too. It did NOT work in every instance though!
>

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 01-26-2008
Curious
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Motherboard Upgrade without Vista Re-Installation
AFAIK if you boot the installation DVD in Vista and select Repair you do
still get the option to recreate the boot sector like you did in XP which
may resolve the problem without rebuilding the Vista OS.
"Mick Murphy" <MickMurphy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:E84422EE-ADF2-430D-8CED-4A9EC9BC6A44@microsoft.com...
> The old XP way of doing an inplace repair(hit R) is not in vista.
>
> It was handy if you changed a motherboard.
>
> They always get rid of the good things!
>
> "f/fgeorge" wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 09:03:30 -0600, "philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote:
>>
>> >
>> >"mikeyhsd" <mikeyhsd@sprintpcs.com> wrote in message
>> >news:utIbEkCYIHA.1168@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>> >it is possible to do an inplace upgrade which basically refreshes vista
>> >on
>> >the hard drive, similar to repair in XP.
>> >
>> >replacing the mobo, this would be necessary as a minimum step.
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> >Good idea..
>> >
>> >Think I'd give that a try before doing something as radical as the fresh
>> >install I had previously suggested
>> >

>> We used to do this in XP by choosing the 2ND R as you boot from the
>> installation cd. The 1st R askks to do a repair and ask for passwords
>> etc, the 2nd R just does it without all that password stuff. I have
>> personally done when going from an AMD setup to an Intel setup, and
>> vice-versa too. It did NOT work in every instance though!
>>


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 01-26-2008
philo
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Motherboard Upgrade without Vista Re-Installation

"f/fgeorge" <ffgeorge@yourplace.com> wrote in message
news63np31qvvku3ubfuo24rcpc7ae5rnihib@4ax.com...
> On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 09:03:30 -0600, "philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote:
>
> >
> >"mikeyhsd" <mikeyhsd@sprintpcs.com> wrote in message
> >news:utIbEkCYIHA.1168@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> >it is possible to do an inplace upgrade which basically refreshes vista

on
> >the hard drive, similar to repair in XP.
> >
> >replacing the mobo, this would be necessary as a minimum step.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >Good idea..
> >
> >Think I'd give that a try before doing something as radical as the fresh
> >install I had previously suggested
> >

> We used to do this in XP by choosing the 2ND R as you boot from the
> installation cd. The 1st R askks to do a repair and ask for passwords
> etc, the 2nd R just does it without all that password stuff. I have
> personally done when going from an AMD setup to an Intel setup, and
> vice-versa too. It did NOT work in every instance though!



The repair install in XP and Win2k was a real nice option.
If a HD was transplanted into drastically different H/W configuration...even
the repair install could fail...
but it usually worked.

I just got rid of an Intel mobo and moved the drive over to an AMD-based
machine
and the repair install got it going without a single hitch (other than
having to re-install my virsu checker)


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Article ID: 932009 Error message when you try to install Windows Vista by using Windows Vista installation media: "Upgrade has been disabled - To upgrade, start the installation from Windows" KBArticles English 0 10-22-2007 20:00
Motherboard and CPU upgrade...Do I need to reregister Vista Ultima coolchris microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices 4 08-27-2007 11:54
Vista Ultimate x64 Installation fails...DVD drive or motherboard? reductant microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 2 04-30-2007 02:07
Windows Vista installation on Asus P5W WS64 motherboard SATA drives not detected John microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 0 04-03-2007 03:31
Making the most of Windows Vista Ultimate - motherboard upgrade? =?Utf-8?B?ZHVtbXk=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices 3 03-28-2007 04:38




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:51.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120