Installing vista on new computer but old HDD

Kodiak Kid

Installing vista on new computer but old HDD
I am building a new system to get away from Dell. I am using my existing HDD
to do the build. Is Vista gonna flip out b/c of the hardware changes, etc?
will I need to install it from scratch? if so, is it going to work? or will
I have to go buy another copy?
Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Installing vista on new computer but old HDD
"Kodiak Kid" <KodiakKid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am building a new system to get away from Dell. I am using my existing
>HDD
> to do the build. Is Vista gonna flip out b/c of the hardware changes,
> etc?
> will I need to install it from scratch? if so, is it going to work? or
> will
> I have to go buy another copy?

Most likely it will flip out, and there is a very good chance that you will
need to install from scratch. Unfortunately, what you have is a Dell OEM
version which may not install because it doesn't recognize the BIOS in your
home built PC.

If you really want to break away from Dell, buy a generic version..

--
Mike Hall - MVP

John Barnes

Re: Installing vista on new computer but old HDD
Is the version you have on the Dell an OEM or Upgrade version?

"Kodiak Kid" <KodiakKid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am building a new system to get away from Dell. I am using my existing
>HDD
> to do the build. Is Vista gonna flip out b/c of the hardware changes,
> etc?
> will I need to install it from scratch? if so, is it going to work? or
> will
> I have to go buy another copy?

Kodiak Kid

Re: Installing vista on new computer but old HDD
It is the full version of Ultimate 64. bought from best buy. My dell came
with windows XP.
Kodiak Kid

Re: Installing vista on new computer but old HDD
it is a bought version...not OEM.

"John Barnes" wrote:

> Is the version you have on the Dell an OEM or Upgrade version?
>
> "Kodiak Kid" <KodiakKid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am building a new system to get away from Dell. I am using my existing
> >HDD
> > to do the build. Is Vista gonna flip out b/c of the hardware changes,
> > etc?
> > will I need to install it from scratch? if so, is it going to work? or
> > will
> > I have to go buy another copy?

Mick Murphy

Re: Installing vista on new computer but old HDD
Ok, you have a full retail version of Ultimate.
It will have a heart attack because of the Hardware changes!
Reinstall Vista.
You can install full retail vista disk as many times as you like, as long as
it is only installed on one(1) computer at a time.

Also, you will have to reactivate it; as the key is in use from your old
system.
When you get that message during activation, take the phone option, and wait
on for a real person.

Now that you know it is not going to install properly with that drive(you
have to reinstall), why not get a larger Hard Drive as well?

"Kodiak Kid" wrote:

> it is a bought version...not OEM.
>
> "John Barnes" wrote:
>
> > Is the version you have on the Dell an OEM or Upgrade version?
> >
> > "Kodiak Kid" <KodiakKid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I am building a new system to get away from Dell. I am using my existing
> > >HDD
> > > to do the build. Is Vista gonna flip out b/c of the hardware changes,
> > > etc?
> > > will I need to install it from scratch? if so, is it going to work? or
> > > will
> > > I have to go buy another copy?

Kodiak Kid

Re: Installing vista on new computer but old HDD
ok, that is the answer I needed! as far as a bigger HDD, I'll have 2 others
for storage, but I want to use my old 80gig 10K RPM one for gaming

Thank you in advance!!!!

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> Ok, you have a full retail version of Ultimate.
> It will have a heart attack because of the Hardware changes!
> Reinstall Vista.
> You can install full retail vista disk as many times as you like, as long as
> it is only installed on one(1) computer at a time.
>
> Also, you will have to reactivate it; as the key is in use from your old
> system.
> When you get that message during activation, take the phone option, and wait
> on for a real person.
>
> Now that you know it is not going to install properly with that drive(you
> have to reinstall), why not get a larger Hard Drive as well?
>
> "Kodiak Kid" wrote:
>
> > it is a bought version...not OEM.
> >
> > "John Barnes" wrote:
> >
> > > Is the version you have on the Dell an OEM or Upgrade version?

John Barnes

Re: Installing vista on new computer but old HDD
You should wipe the drive and install Vista as a custom (clean) install.
Make sure you have the SATA drivers for the controller on your new MOBO.
You should have no problems.