Connect to Network for Printer

w0mn00@gmail.com

Connect to Network for Printer
I do an add printer on my wireless connected laptop. It finds the
printer on my XP desktop but when I click OK it say it cannot connect,
access denied.
This works fine on my other desktop and I am stumped.
The printer works fine directly connected to this VISTA laptop as does
file sharing.
Paul Baker [MVP, Windows - SDK]

Re: Connect to Network for Printer
I am not clear what you are saying. Let me check:

1. (Server) Printer is physical connected to a Windows Vista machine? Which
edition is it? I will probably refer to this as the print server from now
on.
2. (Client that works) There is a Windows XP client that works fine with it?
Which edition is it?
3. (Client that fails) There is a Windows XP client that reports "Access is
denied"? Which edition is it?

How do you log on to each of the clients? Do you have a password? A welcome
screen? A domain?

It might be best to rephrase your question in a way that clearly answers
each of my questions.

Paul

<w0mn00@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I do an add printer on my wireless connected laptop. It finds the
> printer on my XP desktop but when I click OK it say it cannot connect,
> access denied.
> This works fine on my other desktop and I am stumped.
> The printer works fine directly connected to this VISTA laptop as does
> file sharing.

w0mn00@gmail.com

Re: Connect to Network for Printer
On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 09:57:38 -0500, "Paul Baker [MVP, Windows - SDK]"
<paulb@online.rochester.rr.com> wrote:

>I am not clear what you are saying. Let me check:
>
>1. (Server) Printer is physical connected to a Windows Vista machine? Which
>edition is it? I will probably refer to this as the print server from now
>on.

Media center edition
>2. (Client that works) There is a Windows XP client that works fine with it?
>Which edition is it?

XP Pro

>3. (Client that fails) There is a Windows XP client that reports "Access is
>denied"? Which edition is it?

It is VISTA and Home Premium

>How do you log on to each of the clients? Do you have a password? A welcome
>screen? A domain?

A Welcome screen in all cases and the user ID is the same on all
machines. All are set to MSHOME for Workgroup.

>It might be best to rephrase your question in a way that clearly answers
>each of my questions.

Paul Baker [MVP, Windows - SDK]

Re: Connect to Network for Printer
Allow me to restate the problem as clearly as I can so we don't head off in
the wrong direction:

- Windows Vista Media Center Edition print server.
- Windows XP Professional client works.
- Windows Vista Home Premium client reports "Access is denied".
- There is no domain.

When you get "Access is denied", are you opening a network printer on your
local Printers and Faxes folder, or are you opening a shared printer on a
remote Printers and Faxes folder?

Are you logging on with a password to each of the above-mentioned clients?
Are you using the *same* user ID and password on each? Do you have an
account on the print server that has thie *same* user ID and password?

Is the Windows XP Professional client able to browse to the print server in
Windows Explorer using Start/Run and entering \\<server>?

IS the Windows Vista Home Premium client able to do the same?

> On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 09:57:38 -0500, "Paul Baker [MVP, Windows - SDK]"
> <paulb@online.rochester.rr.com> wrote:
>
>>I am not clear what you are saying. Let me check:
>>
>>1. (Server) Printer is physical connected to a Windows Vista machine?
>>Which
>>edition is it? I will probably refer to this as the print server from now
>>on.

> Media center edition
>>2. (Client that works) There is a Windows XP client that works fine with
>>it?
>>Which edition is it?

> XP Pro
>
>>3. (Client that fails) There is a Windows XP client that reports "Access
>>is
>>denied"? Which edition is it?

> It is VISTA and Home Premium
>

>>How do you log on to each of the clients? Do you have a password? A
>>welcome
>>screen? A domain?

> A Welcome screen in all cases and the user ID is the same on all
> machines. All are set to MSHOME for Workgroup.
>>
>>It might be best to rephrase your question in a way that clearly answers
>>each of my questions.

Gilbert Baron

Re: Connect to Network for Printer
On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 12:15:38 -0500, "Paul Baker [MVP, Windows - SDK]"
<paulb@online.rochester.rr.com> wrote:

>Allow me to restate the problem as clearly as I can so we don't head off in
>the wrong direction:
>
>- Windows Vista Media Center Edition print server.
>- Windows XP Professional client works.
>- Windows Vista Home Premium client reports "Access is denied".
>- There is no domain.
>
>When you get "Access is denied", are you opening a network printer on your
>local Printers and Faxes folder, or are you opening a shared printer on a
>remote Printers and Faxes folder?

ON THE XP SERVER
If I go to the control panel and select printers and faxes and then
Right Click it and select sharing on the XP Server.

ON THE VISTA CLIENT
I am confused here but what I am doing is Control Panel/Printers and
the Printer is shown in the Panel that opens up. I right click it and
try to connect to it and I get
Connecting to hp psc240 on W0MN
followed by
Windows cannot connect to the printer. Access is denied.

ON THE XP CLIENT
If I go to the Network and browse to the same W0MN computer and select
the printer and do a connect it works and I can print to it.

>Are you logging on with a password to each of the above-mentioned clients?

YES I tired that but I should not have to be logged on, only have the
user account. I can use it logged on or not on the server.

>Are you using the *same* user ID and password on each? Do you have an
>account on the print server that has thie *same* user ID and password?

YES although I did not think that was required as I set it to share
with anyone on the network.

>Is the Windows XP Professional client able to browse to the print server in
>Windows Explorer using Start/Run and entering \\<server>?

YES

>IS the Windows Vista Home Premium client able to do the same?

YES but not connect to it. If I enter \\hppsc240 I get the access is
denied message

I sure don't understand why I can share files but not the printer!

WHY IS VISTA so hard?????? DAMN I wish they had installed XP on that
laptop. I don't understand why I need to learn (APPARENTLY) a whole
new way.
>Paul
>
><w0mn00@gmail.com> wrote in message
>news:gdbhp35r186d449j0tlnvtol7j2fkg2bdf@4ax.com.. .
>> On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 09:57:38 -0500, "Paul Baker [MVP, Windows - SDK]"
>> <paulb@online.rochester.rr.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I am not clear what you are saying. Let me check:
>>>
>>>1. (Server) Printer is physical connected to a Windows Vista machine?
>>>Which
>>>edition is it? I will probably refer to this as the print server from now
>>>on.

>> Media center edition
>>>2. (Client that works) There is a Windows XP client that works fine with
>>>it?
>>>Which edition is it?

>> XP Pro
>>
>>>3. (Client that fails) There is a Windows XP client that reports "Access
>>>is
>>>denied"? Which edition is it?

>> It is VISTA and Home Premium
>>

>>>How do you log on to each of the clients? Do you have a password? A
>>>welcome
>>>screen? A domain?

>> A Welcome screen in all cases and the user ID is the same on all
>> machines. All are set to MSHOME for Workgroup.
>>>
>>>It might be best to rephrase your question in a way that clearly answers
>>>each of my questions.

Gilbert Baron

Re: Connect to Network for Printer
On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 12:15:38 -0500, "Paul Baker [MVP, Windows - SDK]"
<paulb@online.rochester.rr.com> wrote:

>Allow me to restate the problem as clearly as I can so we don't head off in
>the wrong direction:
>
>- Windows Vista Media Center Edition print server.
>- Windows XP Professional client works.
>- Windows Vista Home Premium client reports "Access is denied".
>- There is no domain.
>
>When you get "Access is denied", are you opening a network printer on your
>local Printers and Faxes folder, or are you opening a shared printer on a
>remote Printers and Faxes folder?

Shared printer on a Remote I think. In any case the Printer on the
Server is a USB connected printer.

>Are you logging on with a password to each of the above-mentioned clients?
>Are you using the *same* user ID and password on each? Do you have an
>account on the print server that has thie *same* user ID and password?

Yes although I do not have to be logged on to the server when I print
form the XP machine.

>Is the Windows XP Professional client able to browse to the print server in
>Windows Explorer using Start/Run and entering \\<server>?

YES

>IS the Windows Vista Home Premium client able to do the same?

It finds it but I get the Access Denied message.

Excuse if I tried to answer twice but could not find my message open
the server or in my sent, may have accidentally deleted rather than
send.

w0mn00@gmail.com

Re: Connect to Network for Printer
On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 12:15:38 -0500, "Paul Baker [MVP, Windows - SDK]"
<paulb@online.rochester.rr.com> wrote:

>Allow me to restate the problem as clearly as I can so we don't head off in
>the wrong direction:
>
>- Windows Vista Media Center Edition print server.
>- Windows XP Professional client works.
>- Windows Vista Home Premium client reports "Access is denied".
>- There is no domain.
>
>When you get "Access is denied", are you opening a network printer on your
>local Printers and Faxes folder, or are you opening a shared printer on a
>remote Printers and Faxes folder?

Remote printers as the printer is USB connected, it is not a network
printer.

>Are you logging on with a password to each of the above-mentioned clients?
>Are you using the *same* user ID and password on each? Do you have an
>account on the print server that has thie *same* user ID and password?

YES
>Is the Windows XP Professional client able to browse to the print server in
>Windows Explorer using Start/Run and entering \\<server>?

YEandS
>IS the Windows Vista Home Premium client able to do the same?

It tries but gets the Access Denied message.
>Paul

I go to Start/Network/Add a printer and selecadd network printer and
the printer is whown. I get the srror wehn I select it and select
next.
><w0mn00@gmail.com> wrote in message
>news:gdbhp35r186d449j0tlnvtol7j2fkg2bdf@4ax.com.. .
>> On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 09:57:38 -0500, "Paul Baker [MVP, Windows - SDK]"
>> <paulb@online.rochester.rr.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I am not clear what you are saying. Let me check:
>>>
>>>1. (Server) Printer is physical connected to a Windows Vista machine?
>>>Which
>>>edition is it? I will probably refer to this as the print server from now
>>>on.

>> Media center edition
>>>2. (Client that works) There is a Windows XP client that works fine with
>>>it?
>>>Which edition is it?

>> XP Pro
>>
>>>3. (Client that fails) There is a Windows XP client that reports "Access
>>>is
>>>denied"? Which edition is it?

>> It is VISTA and Home Premium
>>

>>>How do you log on to each of the clients? Do you have a password? A
>>>welcome
>>>screen? A domain?

>> A Welcome screen in all cases and the user ID is the same on all
>> machines. All are set to MSHOME for Workgroup.
>>>
>>>It might be best to rephrase your question in a way that clearly answers
>>>each of my questions.

w0mn00@gmail.com

Re: Connect to Network for Printer
I solved it myself. I added a local printer and added port where the
port is the print server name.
MICVROSOFT SUCKS HERE!!!

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 12:15:38 -0500, "Paul Baker [MVP, Windows - SDK]"
<paulb@online.rochester.rr.com> wrote:

>Allow me to restate the problem as clearly as I can so we don't head off in
>the wrong direction:
>
>- Windows Vista Media Center Edition print server.
>- Windows XP Professional client works.
>- Windows Vista Home Premium client reports "Access is denied".
>- There is no domain.
>
>When you get "Access is denied", are you opening a network printer on your
>local Printers and Faxes folder, or are you opening a shared printer on a
>remote Printers and Faxes folder?
>
>Are you logging on with a password to each of the above-mentioned clients?
>Are you using the *same* user ID and password on each? Do you have an
>account on the print server that has thie *same* user ID and password?
>
>Is the Windows XP Professional client able to browse to the print server in
>Windows Explorer using Start/Run and entering \\<server>?
>
>IS the Windows Vista Home Premium client able to do the same?
>
>Paul
>
><w0mn00@gmail.com> wrote in message
>news:gdbhp35r186d449j0tlnvtol7j2fkg2bdf@4ax.com.. .
>> On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 09:57:38 -0500, "Paul Baker [MVP, Windows - SDK]"
>> <paulb@online.rochester.rr.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I am not clear what you are saying. Let me check:
>>>
>>>1. (Server) Printer is physical connected to a Windows Vista machine?
>>>Which
>>>edition is it? I will probably refer to this as the print server from now
>>>on.

>> Media center edition
>>>2. (Client that works) There is a Windows XP client that works fine with
>>>it?
>>>Which edition is it?

>> XP Pro
>>
>>>3. (Client that fails) There is a Windows XP client that reports "Access
>>>is
>>>denied"? Which edition is it?

>> It is VISTA and Home Premium
>>

>>>How do you log on to each of the clients? Do you have a password? A
>>>welcome
>>>screen? A domain?

>> A Welcome screen in all cases and the user ID is the same on all
>> machines. All are set to MSHOME for Workgroup.
>>>
>>>It might be best to rephrase your question in a way that clearly answers
>>>each of my questions.

Paul Baker [MVP, Windows - SDK]

Re: Connect to Network for Printer
I was getting to a solution using proper troubleshooting techniques. If you
are still interested in the right solution...

By doing that, you are bypassing the server-provided driver and settings.
This tells me that authentication works, which is what most of my questions
were about. So maybe it is the driver that does not work.

When you configure a print server that clients connect to as a network
printer, you should provide a printer driver for each target operating
system that the client can download. In this case, you will need a Windows
XP driver and a Windows Vista driver. I cannot explain why there would be an
"Access is denied" error if you fail to do this, but you should check. On
the print server, look at the properties of the printer. On the Sharing
page, there is an "Additional drivers" button (I am looking at the Windows
XP UI, the Windows Vista UI may be slightly different). What do you have
listed there and what is checked?

Does the printer work correctly when printing locally from the print server
itself?

>I solved it myself. I added a local printer and added port where the
> port is the print server name.
> MICVROSOFT SUCKS HERE!!!
>

> On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 12:15:38 -0500, "Paul Baker [MVP, Windows - SDK]"
> <paulb@online.rochester.rr.com> wrote:
>
>>Allow me to restate the problem as clearly as I can so we don't head off
>>in
>>the wrong direction:
>>
>>- Windows Vista Media Center Edition print server.
>>- Windows XP Professional client works.
>>- Windows Vista Home Premium client reports "Access is denied".
>>- There is no domain.
>>
>>When you get "Access is denied", are you opening a network printer on your
>>local Printers and Faxes folder, or are you opening a shared printer on a
>>remote Printers and Faxes folder?
>>
>>Are you logging on with a password to each of the above-mentioned clients?
>>Are you using the *same* user ID and password on each? Do you have an
>>account on the print server that has thie *same* user ID and password?
>>
>>Is the Windows XP Professional client able to browse to the print server
>>in
>>Windows Explorer using Start/Run and entering \\<server>?
>>
>>IS the Windows Vista Home Premium client able to do the same?
>>
>>Paul
>>
>><w0mn00@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>news:gdbhp35r186d449j0tlnvtol7j2fkg2bdf@4ax.com. ..

>>> Media center edition
>>> XP Pro

>>> It is VISTA and Home Premium

>>> A Welcome screen in all cases and the user ID is the same on all
>>> machines. All are set to MSHOME for Workgroup.

Paul Baker [MVP, Windows - SDK]

Re: Connect to Network for Printer
Actually, one possible cause of "Access is denied" that makes sense is that
you are denied permission to install the driver locally. Did you change any
of the default permissions on registry entries and files?

If the driver is provided with Windows (an "in box" driver), anyone can
install it. If not, you will have to be an administrator on the client. User
Account Control (UAC) will presumably need to prompt you for elevation. Did
you change any of the UAC settings?

Paul

"Paul Baker [MVP, Windows - SDK]" <paulb@online.rochester.rr.com> wrote in
message news:uVFQoz2YIHA.3652@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...