Why can't I format my computer with Vista

ronscook

Why can't I format my computer with Vista
I have tried to format my computer, first I tried by just inserting the disc,
no luck, then I tried booting it from the disc, no luck then I tried going
into computer management right clicking my c drive but the format option is
no available. I have evn tried phoneing Microsoft but they want $80.00.
Finally I thought I would format it by using my XP disc, installing XP and
then upgrading to put vista back on the system but it won't let me do that
either. I desperately want to format my computer can anyone please help
Tom Ferguson

Re: Why can't I format my computer with Vista
You are estopped from formatting the drive that contains the operating
system. If allowed, that would be similar to sitting on the tree branch you
are removing as you sawed it off.

The drive can be formatted from either the XP CD or Vista DVD. Instructions
for using the Vista DVD are here:
http://vistasupport.mvps.org/format_..._vista_dvd.htm

The job can also be done using programs such as BootIt NG. A working demo
version can be had from
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/index.htm

Tom
MSMVP 1998-2007

"ronscook" <ronscook@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have tried to format my computer, first I tried by just inserting the
>disc,
> no luck, then I tried booting it from the disc, no luck then I tried going
> into computer management right clicking my c drive but the format option
> is
> no available. I have evn tried phoneing Microsoft but they want $80.00.
> Finally I thought I would format it by using my XP disc, installing XP and
> then upgrading to put vista back on the system but it won't let me do that
> either. I desperately want to format my computer can anyone please help

Mick Murphy

RE: Why can't I format my computer with Vista
Set your bios to boot from the CD/DVD drive; have the XP disk in the drive;
reboot!
After the usual loading files, acceptance; DELETE the existing partition(s)
containing vista, FORMAT, and reinstall XP.

Then do the vista bit.

"ronscook" wrote:

> I have tried to format my computer, first I tried by just inserting the disc,
> no luck, then I tried booting it from the disc, no luck then I tried going
> into computer management right clicking my c drive but the format option is
> no available. I have evn tried phoneing Microsoft but they want $80.00.
> Finally I thought I would format it by using my XP disc, installing XP and
> then upgrading to put vista back on the system but it won't let me do that
> either. I desperately want to format my computer can anyone please help

ronscook

RE: Why can't I format my computer with Vista
Thank you for your support. I think the problem seems to be the product key.
When I enter my product key I get a message "To use the product key you
entered start the installation from your excisting version of windows" I have
had this O/S for longer than 3 months so phoneing for help was useless. My
computer has almost used all it's memory and I would like to format it, all
help appreciated

"ronscook" wrote:

> I have tried to format my computer, first I tried by just inserting the disc,
> no luck, then I tried booting it from the disc, no luck then I tried going
> into computer management right clicking my c drive but the format option is
> no available. I have evn tried phoneing Microsoft but they want $80.00.
> Finally I thought I would format it by using my XP disc, installing XP and
> then upgrading to put vista back on the system but it won't let me do that
> either. I desperately want to format my computer can anyone please help

Mick Murphy

RE: Why can't I format my computer with Vista
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/68...ade-vista.html

Have a read of the above; it might interest you.

By the sound of things you have an Upgrade disk; not the full version.
You can not formatt with an upgrade disk.
And you install an upgrade from a running operating system desktop; not
booting it!
If you have an upgrade Vista disk, you will have to format from your XP
disk; do you have an XP disk?

And if you follow my instructions, it will let you reinstall XP, then vista.
I've told you to set the bios to boot from CD/DVD, insert XP disk, and
delete vista partition, format and reinstall XP

"ronscook" wrote:

> Thank you for your support. I think the problem seems to be the product key.
> When I enter my product key I get a message "To use the product key you
> entered start the installation from your excisting version of windows" I have
> had this O/S for longer than 3 months so phoneing for help was useless. My
> computer has almost used all it's memory and I would like to format it, all
> help appreciated
>
> "ronscook" wrote:
>
> > I have tried to format my computer, first I tried by just inserting the disc,
> > no luck, then I tried booting it from the disc, no luck then I tried going
> > into computer management right clicking my c drive but the format option is
> > no available. I have evn tried phoneing Microsoft but they want $80.00.
> > Finally I thought I would format it by using my XP disc, installing XP and
> > then upgrading to put vista back on the system but it won't let me do that
> > either. I desperately want to format my computer can anyone please help

Tom Ferguson

Re: Why can't I format my computer with Vista
As Mick wrote, it would seem that your Vista DVD is for an upgrade install.
If your XP disk is a full install disk, rather than an upgrade CD, you can
either format the HD or delete the HD's partitions and do a full XP install.
Then, use the upgrade Vista DVD to install that system as an upgrade or a
clean install in a dual-boot arrangement. Tutorials for both scenarios are
available from various web sited. Do a Google search.

However, this brings up back to the problem you state in your original post
about not being able to format using the XP CD.

This might be useful
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313348