MSDN Image/Key for anytime upgrade?

Carlo Razzeto

MSDN Image/Key for anytime upgrade?
Hello,

Recently I bought an HP laptop at a great price which came with Windows
Vista Home Premium, which would be perfect for my needs if it wasn't for the
fact that I plan on using this system (among other things) as my work
computer/development machine. What I need is Windows Vista Ultimate edition
so I can use Virtual PC and FTP server and other such things.

My question is, ideally what I would love to do (since I have an MSDN sub)
is use a Vista 32b image downloaded from msdn and my msdn Vista Ultimate
Key. I figure why should I spend $159 on a new copy of vista ultimate
edition if I'm already (by my license) allowed to install 5 copy's of the OS
on my own machines. Why not use one of those right?

Well my problem is, the anytime upgrade system seems to be absolutly intent
on having me start the process by purchasing an anytime update disc. Anyone
know how I would go about doing an anytime update with my msdn vista
ultimate key and such? Thanks,

Carlo

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: MSDN Image/Key for anytime upgrade?
"Carlo Razzeto" <crazzeto@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Recently I bought an HP laptop at a great price which came with Windows
> Vista Home Premium, which would be perfect for my needs if it wasn't for
> the fact that I plan on using this system (among other things) as my work
> computer/development machine. What I need is Windows Vista Ultimate
> edition so I can use Virtual PC and FTP server and other such things.
>
> My question is, ideally what I would love to do (since I have an MSDN sub)
> is use a Vista 32b image downloaded from msdn and my msdn Vista Ultimate
> Key. I figure why should I spend $159 on a new copy of vista ultimate
> edition if I'm already (by my license) allowed to install 5 copy's of the
> OS on my own machines. Why not use one of those right?
>
> Well my problem is, the anytime upgrade system seems to be absolutly
> intent on having me start the process by purchasing an anytime update
> disc. Anyone know how I would go about doing an anytime update with my
> msdn vista ultimate key and such? Thanks,
>
> Carlo

You don't do an anytime upgrade. Use your MSDN ISO and key code..

--
Mike Hall - MVP

PhilKOregon

Re: MSDN Image/Key for anytime upgrade?

That requires a fresh install. At least it did when I tried to upgrade
from Vista Home 64 bit to Vista Ultimate 64 bit (from MSDN ISO; burned
to DVD). The installer for Vista Ultimate did not ask be about an
upgrade, and I was quite surprised to see my previous windows directory
was renamed windows.old and my user directories were moved.

Did I do something wrong?

It was a real pain having to install everything from scratch just so
that I could get Remote Desktop.

--
PhilKOregon
PvdG42

"PhilKOregon" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> That requires a fresh install. At least it did when I tried to upgrade
> from Vista Home 64 bit to Vista Ultimate 64 bit (from MSDN ISO; burned
> to DVD). The installer for Vista Ultimate did not ask be about an
> upgrade, and I was quite surprised to see my previous windows directory
> was renamed windows.old and my user directories were moved.
>
> Did I do something wrong?
>
> It was a real pain having to install everything from scratch just so
> that I could get Remote Desktop.
>

> --
> PhilKOregon

Did you boot from the install DVD or from the installed OS? IIRC, you don't
get the upgrade option if you boot from the install media.

Mike Brannigan

Re: MSDN Image/Key for anytime upgrade?
"PhilKOregon" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> That requires a fresh install. At least it did when I tried to upgrade
> from Vista Home 64 bit to Vista Ultimate 64 bit (from MSDN ISO; burned
> to DVD). The installer for Vista Ultimate did not ask be about an
> upgrade, and I was quite surprised to see my previous windows directory
> was renamed windows.old and my user directories were moved.
>
> Did I do something wrong?
>
> It was a real pain having to install everything from scratch just so
> that I could get Remote Desktop.
>

> --
> PhilKOregon

Why would you pay for an anytime upgrade from a MSDN licensed OS?
The MSDN licensed OS is only licensed for use in none production
environments so you may not use that license for an anytime upgrade unless
this upgraded OS is also to be only used in a test and dev environment and
not day to day.
Beside your MSDN subscription contains all the versions of Vista you could
need (including Ultimate) so you have no need to pay for the anytime upgrade
unless you erroneously thought that by buying on you could use your MSDN
licensed OS as the base for the upgrade - which you may not for production
use.

--

Mike Brannigan

Colin Barnhorst

"PvdG42" <pvdg@toadstool.edu> wrote in message
IIRC, you don't
> get the upgrade option if you boot from the install media.

Correct. As with all previous Windows, you must start an in-place-upgrade
from the desktop of the existing Windows.

Colin Barnhorst

Re: MSDN Image/Key for anytime upgrade?
"PhilKOregon" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> That requires a fresh install. At least it did when I tried to upgrade
> from Vista Home 64 bit to Vista Ultimate 64 bit (from MSDN ISO; burned
> to DVD). The installer for Vista Ultimate did not ask be about an
> upgrade, and I was quite surprised to see my previous windows directory
> was renamed windows.old and my user directories were moved.
>
> Did I do something wrong?
>
> It was a real pain having to install everything from scratch just so
> that I could get Remote Desktop.
>

> --
> PhilKOregon

You got a windows.old because you did a Custom install.

If you started Setup by booting with the dvd the upgrade options would be
disabled. It makes no difference whether your media was retail, MSDN, MSDN
..iso burned to media, or even from an OEM pack. It's the product key and
how you start Setup that matters.

PhilKOregon

--
PhilKOregon
PhilKOregon

Colin Barnhorst;779199 Wrote:
> "PhilKOregon" <guest@xxxxxx-email.com> wrote in message
>
> If you started Setup by booting with the dvd the upgrade options would
> be
> disabled. It makes no difference whether your media was retail, MSDN,
> MSDN
> ..iso burned to media, or even from an OEM pack. It's the product key
> and
> how you start Setup that matters.

Thanks for the info. It's lame, but does match my experience. I don't
know how anyone is supposed to know not to run the setup from booting
the DVD. :cry:

--
PhilKOregon
Mike Brannigan

> Mike Brannigan;778902 Wrote:
>> "PhilKOregon" <guest@xxxxxx-email.com> wrote in message
>> news:28a20b6b1ae0b643922a092667ac43ee@xxxxxx-gateway.com...> > >
>> >
>> > Why would you pay for an anytime upgrade from a MSDN licensed OS?
>> > The MSDN licensed OS is only licensed for use in none production
>> > environments so you may not use that license for an anytime upgrade
>> > unless
>> > this upgraded OS is also to be only used in a test and dev environment
>> > and
>> > not day to day.
>> > Beside your MSDN subscription contains all the versions of Vista you
>> > could
>> > need (including Ultimate) so you have no need to pay for the anytime
>> > upgrade
>> > unless you erroneously thought that by buying on you could use your
>> > MSDN
>> > licensed OS as the base for the upgrade - which you may not for
>> > production
>> > use.
>> >
>> > I don't want to pay for that an anytime upgrade. I just love "helpful"
>> > people that try to make other folks feel like idiots.
>> >
>> > If I didn't articulate well, I had Vista Home pre-installed on a new
>> > pc, and needed to get a version that supports Remote Desktop installed.
>> > I need to do this on a 2nd system, so I still need a solution.
>> >
>> > My preference would be an upgrade, not a fresh install. When I used my
>> > MSDN-licensed Vista Ultimate 64, I got a fresh install with my previous
>> > install in windows.old.
>> >
>> > Nowhere that I could find on Microsoft's site does it say "to upgrade
>> > Vista Home to Vista Ultimate do this...", except the mention of the
>> > anytime upgrade sku.
>> >
>> > Now if someone could tell me how to do that, I'd be a happy camper.

> --
> PhilKOregon

Phil the trick here is to clearly state what you are trying to do and what
you have got in terms of license etc.

Is any of this related to your use of MSDN software ? And is this about
32-bit or 64-bit or an attempt to upgrade between the 2?
If this is related in anyway to going form 32 to 64 bit then it is a clean
install required irrespective of media and license being used.

If this is about MSDN use then as long as this is not your day to day
production machine but one that is for development work under the terms of
your MSDN license then just burn your self a DVD from your MSDN media ISO
download - and put it into your machine when running your MSDN Home edition
and do an inplace upgrade and enter your MSDN key for Ultimate.

If you have either a Home Basic or Premium OEM or Retail installed then you
can just buy an upgrade to ultimate from any source you like. (unless this
is a switch in platform from 32 to 64 in which case it is a clean install
using real media)

Now is this does not address your specific situation please post back with
exactly what you are trying to do and how.

Also try and not post so that you cannot tell where one post ends and the
reply starts (as you have done to mine above)

--

Mike Brannigan