How to preserve restore points in XP before booting in Vista?

Jack

How to preserve restore points in XP before booting in Vista?
I have dual boot installed but my main OS is XP.
I need occasionally to boot in Vista.
I read that doing so my XP will loose restore points.
What can be done to preserve them (restore the Restore ponts) after I
finish with Vista?
Jack

GreenieLeBrun

Re: How to preserve restore points in XP before booting in Vista?

Jack wrote:
> I have dual boot installed but my main OS is XP.
> I need occasionally to boot in Vista.
> I read that doing so my XP will loose restore points.
> What can be done to preserve them (restore the Restore ponts) after I
> finish with Vista?
> Jack

Here's a couple of links that may be of use (by the way it is XP that
destroys the Vista restore points etc. not the other way around).

No restore points are available when you use Windows Vista or Windows Server
2008 in
a dual-boot configuration together with an earlier Windows operating system
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926185

BootIt Next Generation
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/index.htm

Jerry

Re: How to preserve restore points in XP before booting in Vista?
You can restrict restore points to only one partition/drive. In XP unselect
the Vista drive/partition and vice versa.

"Jack" <replyto@it> wrote in message
>I have dual boot installed but my main OS is XP.
> I need occasionally to boot in Vista.
> I read that doing so my XP will loose restore points.
> What can be done to preserve them (restore the Restore ponts) after I
> finish with Vista?
> Jack

John Barnes

Re: How to preserve restore points in XP before booting in Vista?
This does not stop the destruction of Vista restore points when booting into
XP.

"Jerry" <ChiefZekeNoSpam@MSN.com> wrote in message
> You can restrict restore points to only one partition/drive. In XP
> unselect the Vista drive/partition and vice versa.
>
> "Jack" <replyto@it> wrote in message
>>I have dual boot installed but my main OS is XP.
>> I need occasionally to boot in Vista.
>> I read that doing so my XP will loose restore points.
>> What can be done to preserve them (restore the Restore ponts) after I
>> finish with Vista?
>> Jack

Xandros

Re: How to preserve restore points in XP before booting in Vista?
Try hiding the operating system partitions from each other using Computer
Manager. Boot into XP, right click My Computer, select Manage, select Disk
Management. Right click the Vista partition and select Change drive letters
and paths and click the Remove Button. That will hide the Vista Partition
when you boot to XP. Restart the computer and boot into Vista. Do the same
thing to remove the Drive letter and path to the XP partition.

In Dual boot system I use a third partition that I store all shared files
including the My Documents folder. I turn off System Restore on both
operating systems for the shared partition. Now System Restore only monitors
the partition that houses the operating system and doesn't mess with the
others as it has no access to them.

--

Xandros