Vista Anytime Upgrade - Too Complex

john b

Vista Anytime Upgrade - Too Complex
I'm trying to upgrade my new HP laptop from Vista Home Premium to Ultimate. I
wanted to use the Anytime Upgrade process becuase it sounded as if it would
be quick but I can't get it to work, although I've followed the instructions
carefully.
Recovering my upgrade from the "Your Digital Locker" is not working and now
I'm waiting for the Microsoft third party Arvato to respond to my support
query.

I think the process is just too complex. Any views? Should Microsoft rethink
how they offer upgrades to what should be a key product? Have they lost touch
with their customers?
hauki

RE: Vista Anytime Upgrade - Too Complex
I am having the same problem exactly. I have been a Microsoft fan from the
very beginning when they helped to make computers affordable for everyone,
but this business with the digital locker and the inability to access the
program we paid for is starting to piss me off. This is supposed to be an
easy upgrade and as you have found out it certainly is not and it is nearly
impossible to find a place to get answers to our concerns. I tried sending
the company that runs the digital locker website, since they have a help link
all of my issues and error messages and within a day I got the "oh my we are
so very sorry but we do not provide help with that type of problem" Well what
in the heck are they providing, nothing of value that I can see. If there is
a Microsoft employee monitoring this discussion group how about sending us a
little bit of help. The Ultimate upgrade has not provided much in terms of
extra value yet but it sure is frustrating when you cannot even do something
that like you say should be a painless endeaver.
Hauki

"john b" wrote:

> I'm trying to upgrade my new HP laptop from Vista Home Premium to Ultimate. I
> wanted to use the Anytime Upgrade process becuase it sounded as if it would
> be quick but I can't get it to work, although I've followed the instructions
> carefully.
> Recovering my upgrade from the "Your Digital Locker" is not working and now
> I'm waiting for the Microsoft third party Arvato to respond to my support
> query.
>
> I think the process is just too complex. Any views? Should Microsoft rethink
> how they offer upgrades to what should be a key product? Have they lost touch
> with their customers?

Gary Mount

Re: Vista Anytime Upgrade - Too Complex
I think the problem is that it is a lot easier than you think.
You double click on your upgrade license and follow the instructions.
You can copy "Save the license" from your digital locker onto any location
you like such as your desktop, a folder somewhere or removable media.
You double click the "XrML Digital License Package (.slupkg-ms)" file and
click on the "Install the license" and follow the instructions.

I have done this myself doing a Home Premium to Ultimate upgrade. You do not
enter any new product keys, you just insert your anytime upgrade disk when
asked to during the upgrade process, which in my case was my original Home
Premium disk and your can either do an fresh install or an in place upgrade.

"john b" <john b@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to upgrade my new HP laptop from Vista Home Premium to
> Ultimate. I
> wanted to use the Anytime Upgrade process becuase it sounded as if it
> would
> be quick but I can't get it to work, although I've followed the
> instructions
> carefully.
> Recovering my upgrade from the "Your Digital Locker" is not working and
> now
> I'm waiting for the Microsoft third party Arvato to respond to my support
> query.
>
> I think the process is just too complex. Any views? Should Microsoft
> rethink
> how they offer upgrades to what should be a key product? Have they lost
> touch
> with their customers?

hauki

Re: Vista Anytime Upgrade - Too Complex
Thanks alot for the tip. I had tried everything that I could think of but it
did not occur to me that if I just copy the license to my desktop my problems
would be over. I had sent for help on the digital locker website and they
wasted more time telling me where else I should go for help when what they
should have sent was a couple of simple solutions to try and solve this
problem. Thanks again very much appreciated.

Hauki