help with my vista

judy

help with my vista
hi
i just bought a dell and it has vista is a home basic
do i have to install updates from microsoft website or it already should
have everything installed? it seems to be slow and when i play my videos in
wmp
they see like in slow motion. what should it be?
thanks
--
judy
peter

Re: help with my vista
Slow.......home Basic sucks. Dell sucks you in with a low price and most
people don’t realize how slow Basic really is.
You should list your computer specs to see if it qualifies for Home Premium
peter

"judy" <judy_torres190@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news975FBEE-C62D-40C9-BC07-D6C98D124DBF@microsoft.com...
> hi
> i just bought a dell and it has vista is a home basic
> do i have to install updates from microsoft website or it already should
> have everything installed? it seems to be slow and when i play my videos
> in
> wmp
> they see like in slow motion. what should it be?
> thanks
> --
> judy

Mick Murphy

RE: help with my vista
Updates have to be installed.
Normally Automatic Updates is turned on by default.
Also, microsoft updates all Windows Systems on the 2nd tuesday of the month,
every month.

"judy" wrote:

> hi
> i just bought a dell and it has vista is a home basic
> do i have to install updates from microsoft website or it already should
> have everything installed? it seems to be slow and when i play my videos in
> wmp
> they see like in slow motion. what should it be?
> thanks
> --
> judy

Mick Murphy

RE: help with my vista
Judy, don't listen to him!
If you got Premium, it would most likely not work(hardware not up to it),
and if it did, it would NOT make your videos play faster!

Vista Basic does not have much RAM or Graphics in the computer; it is just a
basic workhorse. And that means it would not run the new glitzy Aero(you are
not missing much!).

"judy" wrote:

> hi
> i just bought a dell and it has vista is a home basic
> do i have to install updates from microsoft website or it already should
> have everything installed? it seems to be slow and when i play my videos in
> wmp
> they see like in slow motion. what should it be?
> thanks
> --
> judy

RalfG

Re: help with my vista
First thing to check, Media Player has play speed settings in the
Enhancements section which might be set to slow motion. If that's not it,...

Without knowing what you actually have installed in that computer or what
type of videos you are playing it's hard to say where the problem is. If the
videos are actually playing slowly then it's probably a software problem..
be it incompatible CODECs, video driver or something interfering with the
video decoder/player. CODECs are required to play any video but except for
Microsoft's own CODECs and any software that Dell might have installed on
the computer you will have to find and install any others that are needed
yourself. A lot of different CODECs have been used to make AVI files for
example, both video and audio.

You should install MS updates but not their video drivers... the video card
manufacturer's updated drivers are a better choice, at least for current
hardware. Even without the updates the computer should be perfectly usable
right out of the box.