Installing hardware?

***** charles

Installing hardware?
Hi out there,

I was wondering about the install process for hardware under Vista. If I
install a pci card into the motherboard and turn on the machine so Vista 64
boots up, at some time in the boot process it recognizes something new and
asks for a driver. At this point I should be able to browse/point to an
installation file that helps in installing a driver for the device. I would
think this to be the "normal" way to install. However, now one must install
software first, turn off the computer, plug in/attach the hardware then turn
on the computer to complete the install. Why does one have to use the
second sequence of events when the first sequence is much more obvious?

thanks,
charles...

David B.

Re: Installing hardware?
It depends entirely on the driver package, if the inf's and supporting files
are available to browse to, you can use the 1st method, but if the drivers
are contained in a compressed installer, unless you can extract them you'd
need to use option 2.

--

----

"***** charles" <shultzjrX@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
news:bMqlj.163$0o7.128@newssvr13.news.prodigy.net. ..
> Hi out there,
>
> I was wondering about the install process for hardware under Vista. If I
> install a pci card into the motherboard and turn on the machine so Vista
> 64 boots up, at some time in the boot process it recognizes something new
> and asks for a driver. At this point I should be able to browse/point to
> an installation file that helps in installing a driver for the device. I
> would think this to be the "normal" way to install. However, now one must
> install software first, turn off the computer, plug in/attach the hardware
> then turn on the computer to complete the install. Why does one have to
> use the second sequence of events when the first sequence is much more
> obvious?
>
> thanks,
> charles...

Bruce Chambers

Re: Installing hardware?
***** charles wrote:
> Hi out there,
>
> I was wondering about the install process for hardware under Vista. If
> I install a pci card into the motherboard and turn on the machine so
> Vista 64 boots up, at some time in the boot process it recognizes
> something new and asks for a driver. At this point I should be able to
> browse/point to an installation file that helps in installing a driver
> for the device. I would think this to be the "normal" way to install.

That's the way it used to be on earlier Microasoft "plug-n-pray"
operating systems, although it had started to change with the
profileration of USB devices. In the end, it depends entirely upon how
the device's manufacturer designed the driver installation package.

> However, now one must install software first, turn off the computer,
> plug in/attach the hardware then turn on the computer to complete the
> install. Why does one have to use the second sequence of events when
> the first sequence is much more obvious?

Because that is the way the device's manufacturer designed the
installer for his product's drivers.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
Mick Murphy

RE: Installing hardware?
That is the main reason that you have to read the BOX!
Always has been!
Some printers you turned on the printer 1st; then installed software.
Other printers you installed software, then turned on printer.

Everything is as the manufacturer made it to be installed.