Turn activated Vista back into 30-days trial?

Sven Berg

Turn activated Vista back into 30-days trial?
I want to give a clone of my system (Ultimate) to colleagues with very
similar hardware. If they get convinced, they would buy license keys
of their own. As long as they test it, they should not run it with my
license, but as a 30 days trial. Of course, my Vista is already
activated. So, how can I turn its image back into an unactivated
trial? (A clean install is no option for my colleagues, since I
installed applications, drivers, tweaks and hacks, which only make the
value of this particular installation.). Many thanks, Sven

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

Re: Turn activated Vista back into 30-days trial?

"Sven Berg" <wiesel69@gmx.de> wrote in message news:79a13282-b7cc-4822-9f57-9ce5bf7d0818@i29g2000prf.googlegroups.com...

> I want to give a clone of my system (Ultimate) to colleagues with very
> similar hardware. If they get convinced, they would buy license keys
> of their own. As long as they test it, they should not run it with my
> license, but as a 30 days trial. Of course, my Vista is already
> activated. So, how can I turn its image back into an unactivated
> trial? (A clean install is no option for my colleagues, since I
> installed applications, drivers, tweaks and hacks, which only make the
> value of this particular installation.). Many thanks, Sven

Hand them your install DVD and wish them luck... then run for cover
because they're bound to be after you in a hurry for destroying their
working XP system.

David B.

Re: Turn activated Vista back into 30-days trial?
I'm curious as to how you determined that the recipient of the system clone
has any XP systems, XP was not mentioned anywhere in the OP.

--

----

"David Morgan (MAMS)" <findme@m-a-m-s.comC/Odm> wrote in message

> "Sven Berg" <wiesel69@gmx.de> wrote in message
>
> Hand them your install DVD and wish them luck... then run for cover
> because they're bound to be after you in a hurry for destroying their
> working XP system.

Jack

Re: Turn activated Vista back into 30-days trial?
How similar that hardware is?
If there are some differences Vista does not like it will ask for activation
again.
However it will give you 3 days only.
Jack

"Sven Berg" <wiesel69@gmx.de> wrote in message
>I want to give a clone of my system (Ultimate) to colleagues with very
> similar hardware. If they get convinced, they would buy license keys
> of their own. As long as they test it, they should not run it with my
> license, but as a 30 days trial. Of course, my Vista is already
> activated. So, how can I turn its image back into an unactivated
> trial? (A clean install is no option for my colleagues, since I
> installed applications, drivers, tweaks and hacks, which only make the
> value of this particular installation.). Many thanks, Sven

Sven Berg

Re: Turn activated Vista back into 30-days trial?
Good to know, thanks!
Will slmgr -rearm definitely fail to grant a prolongation?
Sven

"David B." <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message

> I'm curious as to how you determined that the recipient of the system clone
> has any XP systems, XP was not mentioned anywhere in the OP.

The post was obviously in reference to an "upgrade".

"David B." <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message news:uVw0AXSXIHA.4712@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> I'm curious as to how you determined that the recipient of the system clone
> has any XP systems, XP was not mentioned anywhere in the OP.

Actually, I was avoiding the "clean Install is no option" line... this isn't legal, period.

The moment the OP's install appears on a new motherboard, the show is over.

David B.

Re: Turn activated Vista back into 30-days trial?
I can't see how you came to that conclusion, granted the OP is probably
asking for trouble with his scenario, but your assuming quite a bit, more
than you should be.

--

----

"David B." <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message news:uLX8c6SXIHA.3652@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...

> I can't see how you came to that conclusion, granted the OP is probably
> asking for trouble with his scenario, but your assuming quite a bit, more
> than you should be.

I sit corrected.

It is however, easy to get the impression that either his copy is OEM without a
DVD, pirated, or his DVD of the OS is suddenly not available to his mates. At
any rate, his scenario could *only* work as an upgrade if 'clean install' using
the Vista installation DVD is not an option. How is that so difficult to ascertain?

Cheers,

DM

David B.

Re: Turn activated Vista back into 30-days trial?
We must be looking at it differently. I got; he has a Vista install on his
PC that he has tweaked or customized for some reason, he wants to remove the
license, in effect converting it to the 30 day trial that anyone can use,
and image it so someone else can use it to test out his tweaks on their
hardware for the trial period of 30 days.
Any number of scenarios could result, most of which conclude in the image
not working on the test PC. I see nothing to suggest he lost his DVD or has
a pirated copy, but I wouldn't hold out much hope of it working either.

--

----