Cannot boot Vista installer from DVD drive

andg93

Cannot boot Vista installer from DVD drive

Ok currently i am running Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bit on a custom
built PC (Info at bottom). The problem is that there was an issues with
the PC and some OS files were corrupted causing problems with Vista. I
have tried to load the vista install boot DVD to do a system restore or
a clean install of vista but for some reason it cannot boot from the dvd
drive.

Now i have tried everything i can think of. I have changed the
priorities of the boot devices so it boots the DVD drive first however
it seems to just ignore it. the drive powers up and reads and whatnot
but it doesnt boot the cd it just loads from the HD.

When i remove all the boot list items and leave just the DVD drive as
the boot option i get a screen saying insert boot media/disk and press
any key to continue. Upon doing that the message just appears again.

I have checked the hardware. everythings connected properly and
tightly. I even stripped the system down to only the Mobo, CPU, Video
Card, HD and dvd drive are in and still nothing.

I have installed Vista from this cd on another machine and on 2
different hard drives in this machine in the past. 1 install was about a
week ago.

i have even tried using a windows XP boot disk and still it doesnt boot
from the dvd drive.

The DVD drive works perfectly with no problems when the OS is running.
I can read and burn cd/dvd and play music and games on it. Recognizes it
as a vista install disk as well when the os is running.

The Bios recognizes all the devices connected to it as well (HD, CPU,
DVD drive, etc)

I am just stumped as to what it could be. Any ideas.

System info incase needed:

Motherboard: Asus Maximus Special Edition
CPU: Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4
PSU: 600 Watt Ultra
HD: Seagate Barricuda 500 GB
2n HD (Does the same thing when installed seperate or woth 1st HD.
Currently not installed): Samsung Spinpoint 500 TGB
DVD drive: Liteon 20x Super multi dual layer lightscribe burner/reader
(reads everything but blueray and hd dvd)
video card: ATI radeon 2600 xt

--
andg93
peter

Re: Cannot boot Vista installer from DVD drive
And when you reboot the system with the Vista DVD there is no message on the
screen that says:
Press Any Key To Boot From DVD/CD ???????????????????????????
peter

"andg93" <andg93.33jv62@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> Ok currently i am running Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bit on a custom
> built PC (Info at bottom). The problem is that there was an issues with
> the PC and some OS files were corrupted causing problems with Vista. I
> have tried to load the vista install boot DVD to do a system restore or
> a clean install of vista but for some reason it cannot boot from the dvd
> drive.
>
> Now i have tried everything i can think of. I have changed the
> priorities of the boot devices so it boots the DVD drive first however
> it seems to just ignore it. the drive powers up and reads and whatnot
> but it doesnt boot the cd it just loads from the HD.
>
> When i remove all the boot list items and leave just the DVD drive as
> the boot option i get a screen saying insert boot media/disk and press
> any key to continue. Upon doing that the message just appears again.
>
> I have checked the hardware. everythings connected properly and
> tightly. I even stripped the system down to only the Mobo, CPU, Video
> Card, HD and dvd drive are in and still nothing.
>
> I have installed Vista from this cd on another machine and on 2
> different hard drives in this machine in the past. 1 install was about a
> week ago.
>
> i have even tried using a windows XP boot disk and still it doesnt boot
> from the dvd drive.
>
> The DVD drive works perfectly with no problems when the OS is running.
> I can read and burn cd/dvd and play music and games on it. Recognizes it
> as a vista install disk as well when the os is running.
>
> The Bios recognizes all the devices connected to it as well (HD, CPU,
> DVD drive, etc)
>
> I am just stumped as to what it could be. Any ideas.
>

> System info incase needed:
>
> Motherboard: Asus Maximus Special Edition
> CPU: Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4
> PSU: 600 Watt Ultra
> HD: Seagate Barricuda 500 GB
> 2n HD (Does the same thing when installed seperate or woth 1st HD.
> Currently not installed): Samsung Spinpoint 500 TGB
> DVD drive: Liteon 20x Super multi dual layer lightscribe burner/reader
> (reads everything but blueray and hd dvd)
> video card: ATI radeon 2600 xt
>

> --
> andg93

Kerry Brown

Re: Cannot boot Vista installer from DVD drive
Try a different DVD drive.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

"andg93" <andg93.33jv62@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> Ok currently i am running Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bit on a custom
> built PC (Info at bottom). The problem is that there was an issues with
> the PC and some OS files were corrupted causing problems with Vista. I
> have tried to load the vista install boot DVD to do a system restore or
> a clean install of vista but for some reason it cannot boot from the dvd
> drive.
>
> Now i have tried everything i can think of. I have changed the
> priorities of the boot devices so it boots the DVD drive first however
> it seems to just ignore it. the drive powers up and reads and whatnot
> but it doesnt boot the cd it just loads from the HD.
>
> When i remove all the boot list items and leave just the DVD drive as
> the boot option i get a screen saying insert boot media/disk and press
> any key to continue. Upon doing that the message just appears again.
>
> I have checked the hardware. everythings connected properly and
> tightly. I even stripped the system down to only the Mobo, CPU, Video
> Card, HD and dvd drive are in and still nothing.
>
> I have installed Vista from this cd on another machine and on 2
> different hard drives in this machine in the past. 1 install was about a
> week ago.
>
> i have even tried using a windows XP boot disk and still it doesnt boot
> from the dvd drive.
>
> The DVD drive works perfectly with no problems when the OS is running.
> I can read and burn cd/dvd and play music and games on it. Recognizes it
> as a vista install disk as well when the os is running.
>
> The Bios recognizes all the devices connected to it as well (HD, CPU,
> DVD drive, etc)
>
> I am just stumped as to what it could be. Any ideas.
>

> System info incase needed:
>
> Motherboard: Asus Maximus Special Edition
> CPU: Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4
> PSU: 600 Watt Ultra
> HD: Seagate Barricuda 500 GB
> 2n HD (Does the same thing when installed seperate or woth 1st HD.
> Currently not installed): Samsung Spinpoint 500 TGB
> DVD drive: Liteon 20x Super multi dual layer lightscribe burner/reader
> (reads everything but blueray and hd dvd)
> video card: ATI radeon 2600 xt
>

> --
> andg93

bruce2

Re: Cannot boot Vista installer from DVD drive

It happen to me before. Only different from yours is mine was in raid 0
configuration. So, I went into raid manual and deleted disk content
then it started to boot from DVD drive. You may just remove the HDD in
the bios and let it detect it again. How much worse cold it be screwing
up? Good luck.

--
bruce2

*C2D E6850 CPU / EVGA NVIDIA nForce 680i LT SLI / EVGA e-GeForce 8800GTS
640 MB / 4 x OCZ Platinum 1GB / 2 x Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB in
RAID 0 config / 500GB WD SATA HDD / Seasonic 600W M12 / COOLER MASTER
Centurion 5 / Samsung 22" WS / Vista Ultimate 64
*
Phillips

Re: Cannot boot Vista installer from DVD drive
Seagate website has some disk tools... just overwrite the hdd with zero's -
it will take a couple hours.
http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/sup...oads/seatools/
Michael