Re-install Vista upgrade, can't activate!

BryanW20

Re-install Vista upgrade, can't activate!
So my HP started acting up, it's dual boot XP/Vista. I used the boot
recovery dvd's from HP to attempt to re-install XP. It caused a blue
screen, and messed up the boot sector so I can't now get to Vista
either. So after a few hours I finally gave up trying to save the
data
and went for a full recovery (reformat-install XP clean) that too
lead
to a blue screen So I finally get Vista to install fresh (wouldn't
allow me to install w/my code, said I had to be in windows to use the
code.) So I install Visa w/o a code, go to activate and says this had
to be an upgrade! technally it still is!
So I go to try to find an e-mail or ph # for MS and they say $59 to
talk to someone! That is BS! If I could get the boot recovery to work
I'd go back to XP and never look at vista again!

Is there anyway I'm going to be able to save this machine? I'm going
to try to contact HP, but have little faith as it's over a year old
now, but I'm sure they'd gladly sell me a boot dvd!

Thanks for any advise!
Sorry if double post, I relize the first message was in the wrong
group.
f/fgeorge

Re: Re-install Vista upgrade, can't activate!
On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 10:35:20 -0800 (PST), BryanW20
<Bryan.Wyland@gmail.com> wrote:

>So my HP started acting up, it's dual boot XP/Vista. I used the boot
>recovery dvd's from HP to attempt to re-install XP. It caused a blue
>screen, and messed up the boot sector so I can't now get to Vista
>either. So after a few hours I finally gave up trying to save the
>data
>and went for a full recovery (reformat-install XP clean) that too
>lead
>to a blue screen So I finally get Vista to install fresh (wouldn't
>allow me to install w/my code, said I had to be in windows to use the
>code.) So I install Visa w/o a code, go to activate and says this had
>to be an upgrade! technally it still is!
>So I go to try to find an e-mail or ph # for MS and they say $59 to
>talk to someone! That is BS! If I could get the boot recovery to work
>I'd go back to XP and never look at vista again!
>
>Is there anyway I'm going to be able to save this machine? I'm going
>to try to contact HP, but have little faith as it's over a year old
>now, but I'm sure they'd gladly sell me a boot dvd!
>

>Thanks for any advise!
>Sorry if double post, I relize the first message was in the wrong
>group.

1-800 ? wil lget you the person in India that wil lre-activate it for
you. Not a problem, just be honest and tell them what happened when/if
they ask.
Jack

Re: Re-install Vista upgrade, can't activate!
boot from vista
delete partition
stop vista
put xp recovery disk and recover
it will work!
Jack

"BryanW20" <Bryan.Wyland@gmail.com> wrote in message
> So my HP started acting up, it's dual boot XP/Vista. I used the boot
> recovery dvd's from HP to attempt to re-install XP. It caused a blue
> screen, and messed up the boot sector so I can't now get to Vista
> either. So after a few hours I finally gave up trying to save the
> data
> and went for a full recovery (reformat-install XP clean) that too
> lead
> to a blue screen So I finally get Vista to install fresh (wouldn't
> allow me to install w/my code, said I had to be in windows to use the
> code.) So I install Visa w/o a code, go to activate and says this had
> to be an upgrade! technally it still is!
> So I go to try to find an e-mail or ph # for MS and they say $59 to
> talk to someone! That is BS! If I could get the boot recovery to work
> I'd go back to XP and never look at vista again!
>
> Is there anyway I'm going to be able to save this machine? I'm going
> to try to contact HP, but have little faith as it's over a year old
> now, but I'm sure they'd gladly sell me a boot dvd!
>

> Thanks for any advise!
> Sorry if double post, I relize the first message was in the wrong
> group.

Kerry Brown

Re: Re-install Vista upgrade, can't activate!
Boot to Vista. Insert the Vista DVD and run the install again. This should
allow you to enter your upgrade key. The installation has to be started from
within a running copy of Windows. You will be upgrading from Vista to Vista.

It sounds like this computer may have some unresolved hardware problems. You
may want to sort that out first.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

"BryanW20" <Bryan.Wyland@gmail.com> wrote in message
> So my HP started acting up, it's dual boot XP/Vista. I used the boot
> recovery dvd's from HP to attempt to re-install XP. It caused a blue
> screen, and messed up the boot sector so I can't now get to Vista
> either. So after a few hours I finally gave up trying to save the
> data
> and went for a full recovery (reformat-install XP clean) that too
> lead
> to a blue screen So I finally get Vista to install fresh (wouldn't
> allow me to install w/my code, said I had to be in windows to use the
> code.) So I install Visa w/o a code, go to activate and says this had
> to be an upgrade! technally it still is!
> So I go to try to find an e-mail or ph # for MS and they say $59 to
> talk to someone! That is BS! If I could get the boot recovery to work
> I'd go back to XP and never look at vista again!
>
> Is there anyway I'm going to be able to save this machine? I'm going
> to try to contact HP, but have little faith as it's over a year old
> now, but I'm sure they'd gladly sell me a boot dvd!
>

> Thanks for any advise!
> Sorry if double post, I relize the first message was in the wrong
> group.

BryanW20

Re: Re-install Vista upgrade, can't activate!
On Jan 22, 8:11*am, "Kerry Brown" <ke...@kdbNOSPAMsys-tems.c*a*m>
wrote:
> Boot to Vista. Insert the Vista DVD and run the install again. This should
> allow you to enter your upgrade key. The installation has to be started from
> within a running copy of Windows. You will be upgrading from Vista to Vista.

Thanks I tried this, got about 90% done and then it said failed to
install some componets, un-installing. So I finally called inda tech
support, they had to escliate me (I assumed I could just get a new
code, but guess it's hardwired to the DVD). Basicly that's what they
had me do, but they first had me turn off some programs & other stuff,
but after a few hours the re-install Vista to Vista fixed it! Just no
longer have XP to go back too.

> It sounds like this computer may have some unresolved hardware problems. You
> may want to sort that out first.

Sorta, but the issude came from the HP boot reovery disk, it didn't
work right, cauased a BSoDeath, and then a perpetual loop. There must
still be a boot file on that HD as if the machine boots from that HD
it starts the recovery process again, if I swap the Vista HD in the
Bios as the main drive, it boots just fine.