TurboTax 2007 Home & Bus on Vista Home Basic

jvn

TurboTax 2007 Home & Bus on Vista Home Basic
Application installed and later reinstalled per TurboTax support with no
issues. App runs but whenever disk I/O attempted (browse last years return
or save a new return) get an unrecoverable error. User account has admin
rights. I am at a loss, Turbo support dumped me over to microsoft
DC

RE: TurboTax 2007 Home & Bus on Vista Home Basic
HI JVN,
I'm having the same problem--Turbotax says that 2007 Premier is compatible
with Vista Ultimate. I just bought the Dell machine, and then Turbotax
recommended I uninstall .NET Framework 1.1 and upgrade to .NET Framework 3.5,
uninstall TurboTax, disable my Symantec firewall and antivirus, then
reinstall Turbotax as an administrator. All goes well, including
transfering from 2006 until I try to save or close Turbotax. I then get a
warning panel that says Turbotax unrecoverable error---Do you want to Send or
not Send these results to Turbotax for investigation? Either tab you hit,
closes the program with no information saved. I too tried compatibility mode
and that does not do it. Can't believe I've used TurboTax for over a decade
and now with a new Vista Machine, I can't get going on my taxes--I have 20
years of depreciation on a rental that I want to keep track of. I've also
called Microsoft, and they had me do the same with .NET Framework, they
finally last night said, we don't know why you can save and it shuts down.
TurboTax says the same......anyone have ANY ideas???
Thanks and I too understand your frustration.....
DC

"jvn" wrote:

> Application installed and later reinstalled per TurboTax support with no
> issues. App runs but whenever disk I/O attempted (browse last years return
> or save a new return) get an unrecoverable error. User account has admin
> rights. I am at a loss, Turbo support dumped me over to microsoft

jvn

RE: TurboTax 2007 Home & Bus on Vista Home Basic
DC, after a bunch of different things, I was able to resolve the issue. I
uninstalled symantec endpoint protection and TurboTax is working fine now. I
had disabled it and it did not help. I haven't attempted to reinstall
Symantec yet. I manage an IT group... one of my staff suggested I use the
shareware AVG from Grisoft instead of Symantec that I get free through a
corporate home use program. he uses AVG and his TT home and bus 2007 on
vista worked fine

"DC" wrote:

> HI JVN,
> I'm having the same problem--Turbotax says that 2007 Premier is compatible
> with Vista Ultimate. I just bought the Dell machine, and then Turbotax
> recommended I uninstall .NET Framework 1.1 and upgrade to .NET Framework 3.5,
> uninstall TurboTax, disable my Symantec firewall and antivirus, then
> reinstall Turbotax as an administrator. All goes well, including
> transfering from 2006 until I try to save or close Turbotax. I then get a
> warning panel that says Turbotax unrecoverable error---Do you want to Send or
> not Send these results to Turbotax for investigation? Either tab you hit,
> closes the program with no information saved. I too tried compatibility mode
> and that does not do it. Can't believe I've used TurboTax for over a decade
> and now with a new Vista Machine, I can't get going on my taxes--I have 20
> years of depreciation on a rental that I want to keep track of. I've also
> called Microsoft, and they had me do the same with .NET Framework, they
> finally last night said, we don't know why you can save and it shuts down.
> TurboTax says the same......anyone have ANY ideas???
> Thanks and I too understand your frustration.....
> DC
>
> "jvn" wrote:
>
> > Application installed and later reinstalled per TurboTax support with no
> > issues. App runs but whenever disk I/O attempted (browse last years return
> > or save a new return) get an unrecoverable error. User account has admin
> > rights. I am at a loss, Turbo support dumped me over to microsoft

DC

RE: TurboTax 2007 Home & Bus on Vista Home Basic
JVN,
Thanks--I too use Endpoint Protection because of the same reasons you do. I
tried something after reading yours: uninstalled endpoint protection,
restarted the computer, opened up the TurboTax 2007 already installed, then
started my return, edited some personal info, then it saved just fine.
Whoohoo!! But I went one step further before going to AVG--I reinstalled
Endpoint Protection, restarted the computer of course, then went back into
TurboTax--it still works fine. So it seems if you uninstall Symantec first,
install TurboTax, then reinstall Symantec then a person should be good. I am
trying to feel confident though that it's working now, and after I have 10
hrs time in my taxes that it will still keep saving.....you think this will
work instead of taking Symantec out all together and going to AVG? I know
AVG is an antivirus, is it also a firewall--in other words does it provide
the same level of protection that endpoint does? Not at all as familiar with
AVG as you and your team are......thanks so much for saving me all the
frustration....and am interested in your continued feedback.
DC