Should i upgrade from XP to vista?

Benjamin_500

Should i upgrade from XP to vista?
I have XP Pro, its quite good a little slow here and there despite the high
end output of my computer( 2.6ghz core 2 duo E6600, 2GB Ram 2x 250gb HDD 512
pci-e card more fans than you can count ) I get along fine, apart from a sata
issue i have been fighting with ASUS, but thats nothing really. but is it
worth upgrading to Vista, one thing i noticed is that it takes 40GB on
install thats a large jump from XP, i guess ill have to get a bigger main
drive? 500gb or something. Also my G/card is directx 9 do i have to get 10??
or will vista work with the 9 card (ATI x1950xtx pro 512mb MSI Build) i run
the full adobe suite cs3, word 2007, a few other industry video and imaging
programes, divx and a load of games (mainly titles within the last 5/6 years)
so i put the question to you again, should i upgrade??
David Morgan \(MAMS\)

Re: Should i upgrade from XP to vista?

"Benjamin_500" <Benjamin_500@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote...

> should i upgrade??

WHY? Is there something broken with your XP?

A little basic houskeeping and optimization would probably speed it up.

Benjamin_500

Re: Should i upgrade from XP to vista?
Not really, just a few bugs and stuff, its clean from virus and ad were etc..
the only issue i got is that the SATA ports on the MB seam to disconnect the
HDD now and then, but thats an issue with the MB not windows. i am just
curious if its worth the upgrade, is it a better OS or (if you look at the
spec in my opening message) taking in to account the programes and spec i
have should i just stick with XP??

"David Morgan (MAMS)" wrote:

> "Benjamin_500" <Benjamin_500@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote...
>
> > should i upgrade??

> WHY? Is there something broken with your XP?
>
> A little basic houskeeping and optimization would probably speed it up.

Mick Murphy

RE: Should i upgrade from XP to vista?
You're happy with it; why change?
I have both, and I still prefer XP Pro!

"Benjamin_500" wrote:

> I have XP Pro, its quite good a little slow here and there despite the high
> end output of my computer( 2.6ghz core 2 duo E6600, 2GB Ram 2x 250gb HDD 512
> pci-e card more fans than you can count ) I get along fine, apart from a sata
> issue i have been fighting with ASUS, but thats nothing really. but is it
> worth upgrading to Vista, one thing i noticed is that it takes 40GB on
> install thats a large jump from XP, i guess ill have to get a bigger main
> drive? 500gb or something. Also my G/card is directx 9 do i have to get 10??
> or will vista work with the 9 card (ATI x1950xtx pro 512mb MSI Build) i run
> the full adobe suite cs3, word 2007, a few other industry video and imaging
> programes, divx and a load of games (mainly titles within the last 5/6 years)
> so i put the question to you again, should i upgrade??

Benjamin_500

RE: Should i upgrade from XP to vista?
Why do you prefer xp? is it still a better OS?

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> You're happy with it; why change?
> I have both, and I still prefer XP Pro!
>
> "Benjamin_500" wrote:
>
> > I have XP Pro, its quite good a little slow here and there despite the high
> > end output of my computer( 2.6ghz core 2 duo E6600, 2GB Ram 2x 250gb HDD 512
> > pci-e card more fans than you can count ) I get along fine, apart from a sata
> > issue i have been fighting with ASUS, but thats nothing really. but is it
> > worth upgrading to Vista, one thing i noticed is that it takes 40GB on
> > install thats a large jump from XP, i guess ill have to get a bigger main
> > drive? 500gb or something. Also my G/card is directx 9 do i have to get 10??
> > or will vista work with the 9 card (ATI x1950xtx pro 512mb MSI Build) i run
> > the full adobe suite cs3, word 2007, a few other industry video and imaging
> > programes, divx and a load of games (mainly titles within the last 5/6 years)
> > so i put the question to you again, should i upgrade??

Location: Quebec, Canada
nemo is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Benjamin_500 !

Have you considered Dual-Boot ? Your system has all the hardware that is needed for Vista... Works great on my system witch is about the same configuration as yours... I suppose SP1 will only make things more appeling for a lot of people...
Benjamin_500

Re: Should i upgrade from XP to vista?
Thats a good idea, ill try that. Thank you.

"nemo" wrote:

> Hi Benjamin_500 !
>
> Have you considered Dual-Boot ? Your system has all the hardware that
> is needed for Vista... Works great on my system witch is about the
> same configuration as yours... I suppose SP1 will only make things
> more appeling for a lot of people...
>

> --
> nemo

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

Re: Should i upgrade from XP to vista?
I've been reading this group since it's inception... and there are plentiful archives,
that if researched, would suggest that upgrading would most likely be a complete
nightmare for you. I've been through two versions of VISTA personally (giving both
of them away with new PC builds) and I support a few dozen VISTA PCs on the
side. It's nothing to write home about and it's forcing thousands and thousands
of new 'upgrade' users to simply buy new computers.

MHO is that VISTA is pretty much a complete nightmare for anyone who has plenty
of experience with previous operating systems... especially when 'upgrading' and not
doing a fresh, clean install. For new computer owners, they'll never see the differences.
I find VISTA to be a slow and bloated hog once a little software is added... and there are
a few personal privacy 'issues' between VISTA and Microsoft if you aren't very careful
about how you set up the OS and what you let run in the background.

There are hardware and software compatibility lists all over the net to help you make
a decision, but my personal decision was to buy another half dozen copies of XP last
year.... and 90% of the PC builds I completed *requested* XP.

I see no compelling reason to change at this time.... but that's just me.

--
David Morgan (MAMS)
Morgan Audio Media Service

"Benjamin_500" <Benjamin500@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C858F9D0-7A30-48B8-B39F-A3AF6C5193B3@microsoft.com...

> Not really, just a few bugs and stuff, its clean from virus and ad were etc..
> the only issue i got is that the SATA ports on the MB seam to disconnect the
> HDD now and then, but thats an issue with the MB not windows. i am just
> curious if its worth the upgrade, is it a better OS or (if you look at the
> spec in my opening message) taking in to account the programes and spec i
> have should i just stick with XP??

> "David Morgan (MAMS)" wrote:

> > "Benjamin_500" <Benjamin_500@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote...
> > >
> > > should i upgrade??

> > WHY? Is there something broken with your XP?
> >
> > A little basic houskeeping and optimization would probably speed it up.

Kevin

newsC9DF62D-3E16-426C-BC4B-E7EB00E294F9@microsoft.com...
>I have XP Pro, its quite good a little slow here and there despite the high
> end output of my computer( 2.6ghz core 2 duo E6600, 2GB Ram 2x 250gb HDD
> 512
> pci-e card more fans than you can count ) I get along fine, apart from a
> sata
> issue i have been fighting with ASUS, but thats nothing really. but is it
> worth upgrading to Vista, one thing i noticed is that it takes 40GB on
> install thats a large jump from XP, i guess ill have to get a bigger main
> drive? 500gb or something. Also my G/card is directx 9 do i have to get
> 10??
> or will vista work with the 9 card (ATI x1950xtx pro 512mb MSI Build) i
> run
> the full adobe suite cs3, word 2007, a few other industry video and
> imaging
> programes, divx and a load of games (mainly titles within the last 5/6
> years)
> so i put the question to you again, should i upgrade??

You have a lot of money invested in some expensive software. Make
absolutely (and positively) sure that it will run under Vista. There have
been some issues with Adobe and Vista. As an example, my copy of Nero 6
Ultra is not supported under Vista. When I ran the Windows Vista Advisor it
reported only a problem with my scanner and nothing else. No indication
that Nero 6 would not work in Vista. Same for my copy of Zone Alarm Pro.
It is not supported under Vista. There goes about $120 out the window for
both of those applications.

You will have to check each application to see if it is Vista supported. A
hassle, to be sure, but the only way to see if you are going to have some
problems if you upgrade to Vista.

Vista may need 40 GB of free drive space to install, but it certainly does
not occupy anything close to that when the installation is through. You
will want a video card with DX10 to get everything out of Vista that it is
capable of. That alone may cost you $100 or more depending on if you want
512 MB of video RAM or not.

Your current 2 GB of RAM is what I would suggest as a minimum performance
requirement for Vista. I am personally considering adding at least one more
GB of RAM to my Dell, which has 2 GB on board at this time. Bottom line,
it's a decision you will have to make for yourself. I've had my Vista
system for about two months or so and I'm just now beginning to get
comfortable with it.

Benjamin_500

Re: Should i upgrade from XP to vista?
That was really helpfull, i think i will try the dual boot as suggested and
check all my progs in that, as for Zonealarm did you try to download the
vista upgrade and use the same Serial Number? only i have Zonealarm pro like
you and nero 6, is there a solution to these now? thank you for your help.