Reinstall?

Bobbiep

Reinstall?
I just bought a new Dell desktop and of course all of my old programs will
not run on Vista. I was trying to uninstall an old version of Norton, I was
online on the Norton website and was using their remove tool and the system
hung up, I could not do anything, so I was forced to do a hard shut down.
Now I cannot get the system to go online at all. I use Juno to access the
internet and the error message it gives me is RAS 720, whatever that means.

I am at a loss to know what to do, should I reinstall Vista to get the
settings back? I am just setting up this system so I don't have much to
lose,,,

I have the system disk that came with my computer, is that all I need to
reinstall? Do I just boot from the DVD?
Rick Rogers

Re: Reinstall?
Hi,

You may need to reinstall, Norton/Symantec's symclean tool destroys the
networking stack and using it on Vista is a known issue. I'm not sure that
Symantec has resolved it yet, but I'd start with their support.
Incidentally, you should not even try to install an older version of their
software on Vista (and personally I wouldn't even install a current one).

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Bobbiep" <Bobbiep@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsFFB45F0-7B83-4E0A-9A6D-26AE615D6C20@microsoft.com...
>I just bought a new Dell desktop and of course all of my old programs will
> not run on Vista. I was trying to uninstall an old version of Norton, I
> was
> online on the Norton website and was using their remove tool and the
> system
> hung up, I could not do anything, so I was forced to do a hard shut down.
> Now I cannot get the system to go online at all. I use Juno to access the
> internet and the error message it gives me is RAS 720, whatever that
> means.
>
> I am at a loss to know what to do, should I reinstall Vista to get the
> settings back? I am just setting up this system so I don't have much to
> lose,,,
>
> I have the system disk that came with my computer, is that all I need to
> reinstall? Do I just boot from the DVD?

Bobbiep

Re: Reinstall?
Thank you for the help!

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> You may need to reinstall, Norton/Symantec's symclean tool destroys the
> networking stack and using it on Vista is a known issue. I'm not sure that
> Symantec has resolved it yet, but I'd start with their support.
> Incidentally, you should not even try to install an older version of their
> software on Vista (and personally I wouldn't even install a current one).
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Bobbiep" <Bobbiep@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> newsFFB45F0-7B83-4E0A-9A6D-26AE615D6C20@microsoft.com...
> >I just bought a new Dell desktop and of course all of my old programs will
> > not run on Vista. I was trying to uninstall an old version of Norton, I
> > was
> > online on the Norton website and was using their remove tool and the
> > system
> > hung up, I could not do anything, so I was forced to do a hard shut down.
> > Now I cannot get the system to go online at all. I use Juno to access the
> > internet and the error message it gives me is RAS 720, whatever that
> > means.
> >
> > I am at a loss to know what to do, should I reinstall Vista to get the
> > settings back? I am just setting up this system so I don't have much to
> > lose,,,
> >
> > I have the system disk that came with my computer, is that all I need to
> > reinstall? Do I just boot from the DVD?

Mick Murphy

RE: Reinstall?
I would reinstall just to get rid of the last rotten vestiges of Norton.
Formatting is the ONLY way to completely remove it.

If you want a good low resources using Anti-virus(which is also free), and
compatible with Vista 32bit and 64bit, use Avast.